Best ride near Sandpoint?

Printable View

• 06-26-2012
    seedy
    Best ride near Sandpoint?
    Visiting Sandpoint mid July with the fam and bringing the bikes. Looking for easier/beginner trails for the family and something more challenging for myself . I am a fit xc/am kind of guy. No big air or DH style. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • 06-26-2012
    RockyMtn.Kris
    Check out Mineral point for the family and Gold Hill for you. You can find more on these rides on the Pend Orielle Pedelars website
  • 07-24-2012
    seedy
    RMK, thanks for the info. I rode Gold Hill from Sandpoint, making it about 18 miles roundtrip. Gold Hill trail is super fun with some cool views and lots of switchbacks to keep you on your toes.

I also headed out to Mineral Point and did a quick ride there from the trailhead to Green Bay Campground. Another fun trail but pretty short.Views of the Lake are beautiful. I had a mechanical and couldn't explore the trail to Lost Lake(?)

Sandpoint is a cool little town and I wish we had more time to explore some longer trail options in the area.
  • 11-20-2012
    calgarydave
    Sandpoint locals, clue me in please. In September I rode Gold Hill, starting from the trailhead up as recommended. When I got to the gravel road I turned right and took it up to its end point then continued straigh(ish) through on a signed/numbered doubletrack (ATV trail) into the forest. After a minor climb I descended for ~5mins then got the heebie-jeebie's, thinking I was losing too much elevation to be on the correct route (solo + 1 water bottle + dusk = not in adventure mode). I stopped, huffed it up the d/t, retracing my route, and ripped down the switchback trail to the trailhead.

Did I eff up on route-finding and, if so, what's the best way to go once popped out onto that gravel road from the singletrack? If I had kept descending on the ATV trail where would it have taken me? Is there a bikeable trail to a viewpoint atop Gold Hill?

Thanks to anyone reading this who is/was involved with making the trail network across the highway from Dover, I had a blast riding there.