Team Inflexible

Beartooth Mountains Rides

I will be staying at for a week in the Beartooth Mountains just south of the Montana/Wyoming boarder. I usually do out and back rides on the lewis and clark trail but really want to try new rides. Has anybody ridden this area. There is tons of trails but want to ride the best ones.

Also any advice for grizzly bears?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Lulu Pass and Daisy Pass have great BC skiing, I think the MTB riding would not be too different. As I recall, most of the quality singletrack points into the off-limits wilderness though.

Grizzle bears? Get a large container of bear repellant. You can buy it at any sporting goods store in Montana (Or the hardware store in Cooke City)
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Team Inflexible
    Thanks,

I will have to get some bear repellant. It may or may not work but it will give me peace of mind.

I will check out those areas you mentioned. Last year I did run into the wilderness a couple of times and turned back.

Has any body ridden the Morrison Jeep trail down sunlight valley? There is a description posted on the trail reveiws on this site and have checked it out on my map. Looks like a killer down hill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Morrison is a good ride. You can do it as an out & back from Long Lake (it's approx 8 miles before it really starts to drop into the canyon). There is also a single track trail that takes off from morrison, goes by stockade lake, losekamp lake, etc.
    You can do it as a point to point, but need to do a long shuttle and leave a rig somewhere around the clark fork canyon (by clark, wy.)

Lulu & Daisy pass is a good area, also the goose lake jeep trail in the same area (Bill at the cooke city bike shack can give more specific beta on this area).

Island Lake (by the top of the world store), has quite a bit of single track not in wilderness. Look at island lake, night lake, then drop down to beauty lake.

Some good rides on the red lodge side of the beartooths, also some good stuff in the southern pryors.

Greg

mtbr member
    I second the Goose Lake trail around the Cooke City area but otherwise I think you'll find yourself riding lots of dirt roads or poaching wilderness around that area.

Also, there's historic mine reclamation work in full swing right now on Lulu Pass so you might have to content with heavy (meaning big) truck traffic on the Fischer Ck road. It shouldn't be as bad on the Daisy Pass/Miller Ck side though.

One possibility would be to ride a singletrack off of Daisy Pass (steeeep fall line descent on a bike) and then on the left side of Daisy Ck down to Lake Abundance and then either take the road or that same singletrack back to the Pass.

Bill moved to Jardin so he might not be at the bike shack when you get there. Maybe best to call ahead if you want to get in touch with him.