Thread: Bad news

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bad news

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060407/...mammoth_deaths

Heros just like heros anywhere else (like our soldiers)

mtbr member
    It's been a tough winter for a lot of people's heros.

http://www.wildsnow.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Walter was a great man and a hero in his own right. A truly delightful, fun, gentle, and giving person. A person who AWAYS made you laugh and put a smile on everyone's face. He loved life and the outdoors. A hero yes, but so unlike any soldier I ever met. I know you were trying to put things in a kind light, but please refrain from judging people you don't know a shard about.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Wow man this is a double wammy. I used to live and ski in Mammoth and knew where some of those vents were. I also overlapped for a year with Doug Coombs in the MSU Earth Sciences department (although I never know him as more than a acquaintance). News like that really sucks.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Don't worry, be happy!
    my husband and both my sons ski patrol.
    Although we don't have to worry about geothermal vents where we are, I sure feel the pain of the families who's guys ( n gals? ) were out there just doing thier job.

rest in peace.

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    My sympathy to family and friends. Lost 2 on Rainier last year.

On a related note (this was in the article in my local paper)...what's the deal with folks always claiming it has nothing to do with volcanic activity? Does anyone else think the region (whole NW, AK, Jellystone) has been more active in the recent years?
    In the same article it also said none of the vents have been leaking gas 'til now.

So what's up? Or have I been listening to too much coat to coast am?
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by akitadogg
    In the same article it also said none of the vents have been leaking gas 'til now.

So what's up? Or have I been listening to too much coat to coast am?
    It's BS. The vents were leaking when I was skiing there in the early 80's. There are some places on Mammoth Mountain you could smell sulphur. I think what got the patrollers was carbon monoxide which had ponded in the melted hole they collapsed into. As for volcanic emissions (and btw I've got a few degrees in geology and have studied volcanos in the Andes) CO and SO2 are always common around vents. Mammoth Mtn is just a relatively small vent along the ring fracture of the larger Long Valley Caldera (a Yellowstone-sized feature).

As for the Coast-to-Coast thing, it's actually a proven fact that these large volcanic complexes are actually landing sites for ancient space travellers from another dimension.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.