Barneys Unite!

Article in Today's Statesman about the Foohills

For the full article, go here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepie...ry/970026.html

For the part that may impact mountain bikers, read this: "We need to address all of the issues that compromise the Foothills, (such as) noxious weeds, bikers," said City Councilwoman Elaine Clegg. "I'm not willing to implement them as recommended until we're willing to do things in concert

It's nice to know that Councilwoman Clegg thinks that mountain bikers rank right alongside noxious weeds as "issues that compromise the foothills".

Time to write to your City Council member.

mtnjam
    email FIRED off to Elaine Clegg stating my displeasure in her statement
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    For those who are interested in saying howdy to Elaine, her e-mail is: eclegg@cityofboise.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here is the email I sent her:

"This article was pointed out to me by fellow mountain bikers. The point that is brought to our attention was the quote saying that bikers and noxious weeds are members of a group that compromise our foothills. As an avid mountain biker, I took offense to the exact quote in the article above and am hoping there was a context issue at fault, that the thought was incompletely represented in the article. If your comment is correctly represented by the article, would you care to discuss the reasoning behind that comment? Maybe there was a conflict you are referring to, or some information you are using to back up the statement? As a former board member for SWIMBA and builder of many trails in the area, maybe I can help to provide information that you could use to refine your opinion or maybe even just answer some questions.

thanks"

and this was her reply:

"Thank you for the email asking for clarification of the quote noted in the paper. In fact it is a truncated quote. I am not lumping mountain bikers and noxious weeds into the same group, I am saying that whatever management problems we have in the foothills must be addressed holistically and that includes everything from weeds and bikes. That doesn't put bikes in the category of weeds, I was mentioning two issues that I think are in different categories purposefully to indicate that all users (not just hikers with dogs) and all of the natural resource issues (such as weeds) are important and we cannot solve whatever problems exist in one area without considering the others if we want to avoid creating new conflicts and problems.

Good policy includes good and complete information and that is all that I am after. I don't know enough now to change policy without better and more complete information on all the issues.
    Regards,
    Elaine

Elaine Clegg
    Boise City Council
    eclegg@cityofboise.org"

All in all, I think that we don't need to rake her over the coals as much as express our positive influence towards the foothills. I am inclined to think the author is as much to blame for us being fired up over this as anything.
    Last edited by aenema; 11-13-2009 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    All in all, I am inclined to think that we don't need to rake her over the coals as much as express our positive influence towards the foothills. I am inclined to think the author is as much to blame for us being fired up over this as anything.
    I agree. I was interviewed by a local news channel once and I could not believe how they took 5% of what I said and made me sound like an idiot.

It is far better for her to think that the local mountain bike community is a level-headed, well mannered crew. It is always better to have an advocate than an enemy.

jalepenio jimenez

Howdy neighbor...

Quote Originally Posted by Yorba
    I agree...
    It is always better to have an advocate than an enemy.
    Best to be ambassadors of goodwill.
    Attitude that displays a friendly disposition in the face of adversity will help to win over the most resistant and stubborn nay-sayers out there.
    Wouldn't it be something if hikers were to start commenting on how considerate and friendly mtb's are, instead of always flinging sh*t in our faces because of the few exceptions who aren't friendly and considerate.
    Is good trail etiquette really that difficult to incorporate into one's riding habits?
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads