Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Anyone want to come and ride in Peru?

I am trying to get a group together for a trip May 7-14th. I will post a bunch more tonight, but for now, please check out http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42384

chime in! The place rocks...c'mon down!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

26er

I am game..

I have enought airmiles for a free flight to lima. What time on sunday do we need to arrive by? and what time on the other sunday would we be back in lima?

and when would you need the money by?

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

You *might* miss Monday work...

For it to be ideal. I have found flights round trip from SLC for as low as $489.
    A deposit would be good by Feb. 15th, I guess I will call that out. You will get a better presentation this weekend...do you need a place to crash out here?
    In general, flights from Lima to Cusco leave Lima at 8:00am, and arrive in time for an afternoon ride or whatever. The flight from Cusco is usually around noon or 5:00 PM, and flights back to the US usually leave at10:30pm, 11:30pm, 12:30am, and 1:30am.
    BTW, I am trying to get AnthonyS (passion) and Icegeek to come along for photo goodness.
    I also am trying to get folks to recruit other folks...the more, the cheaper, fo' sure. 12 would be max, and a rolling party, to boot.
    How bout you, EathPiggie?
    Last edited by rideit; 01-03-2006 at 05:03 PM.

And then we eat them."

26er

sounds good

I can do a deposit by the 15th, we can chat about it this weekend. I will see if anyone else I know is intrested.

I am staying in the teeowet lodge as it was part of the snowcat package.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    For it to be ideal. I have found flights round trip from SLC for as low as $489.
    A deposit would be good by Feb. 15th, I guess I will call that out. You will get a better presentation this weekend...do you need a place to crash out here?
    In general, flights from Lima to Cusco leave Lima at 8:00am, and arrive in time for an afternoon ride or whatever. The flight from Cusco is usually around noon or 5:00 PM, and flights back to the US usually leave at10:30pm, 11:30pm, 12:30am, and 1:30am.
    BTW, I am trying to get AnthonyS (passion) and Icegeek to come along for photo goodness.
    I also am trying to get folks to recruit other folks...the more, the cheaper, fo' sure. 12 would be max, and a rolling party, to boot.
    How bout you, EathPiggie?
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

I'm in, if...

I am trying to get a group together for a trip May 7-14th. I will post a bunch more tonight, but for now, please check out http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42384

chime in! The place rocks...c'mon down!
    Yeah, let me divorce my wife, find someone to adopt my kid, quit my job, and I'll be there lickety split.

(I wonder if there's a barney loop in Peru... )

mtbr member

keep it up EP

[QUOTE=Earthpig]Yeah, let me divorce my wife, find someone to adopt my kid, quit my job, and I'll be there lickety split.

Good to see you are keeping your priorities straight. Really it is people like you who keep counselors like me in business!!!! lol Keep it up and I can get new equipment...maybe another red bike
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Peru - how cush. Ever since the Sendero Luminoso went out of business the place has lost its fragile vicious beauty.

The Argentine Puna is where the action is baybee. I wished I had my bike when I was there 15 years ago. I ran into a group of French riders stopping for a cigarette break on their unsupported epic from Antofagasta to Salta. The Puna locals on steel-rimmed singlespeeds had to ride 20 miles over a 16,000 foot pass to buy groceries - then turn around and carry the goods back in a wicker basket. I once found trail schwag (a steel and rubber pedal) on top of a 19,000 ft peak. There, a luxury hotel is defined not having a dirt floor. Yar!

The pic of the Sendero Luminoso is not mine. The pic of Salar Ratones is mine (pre-digital). Note that all the vegetation makes the Owyhees look like a tropical rain forest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lv2ride
    Good to see you are keeping your priorities straight. Really it is people like you who keep counselors like me in business!!!! lol Keep it up and I can get new equipment...maybe another red bike
    Well, given that my wife only grudgingly gives out kitchen passes for 2 hour rides in the foothills, I'm sure I can get the OK to jet down to South America for a week of riding. No problem.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Face it, piggy

And then we eat them."

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    pu$$ywhipped
    Jeez, you think?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    whipped
    I'd be interested to know how many other guys on this board who are married to women who don't ride and who have small kids at home would be able to get a kitchen pass from their wives to spend hundreds of dollars (if not thousands) to fly 18 hours to another hemisphere to ride mountain bikes for a week. My guess? A big fat zero. I guess that makes us all whipped, right?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I'd be interested to know how many other guys on this board who are married to women who don't ride and who have small kids at home would be able to get a kitchen pass from their wives to spend hundreds of dollars (if not thousands) to fly 18 hours to another hemisphere to ride mountain bikes for a week. My guess? A big fat zero. I guess that makes us all whipped, right?
    Sh!t man I do it all the time and my wofe doesn't even notice. Oops, that was falling asleep in front of the TV. Nevermind.

Rocks Rock

Oh No

When I end up that far away from home my wife buys a new house or car or something like that.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

roar
    Hey, okay two things...

A) kudos to EP for getting his priorities right and straight. You have a lucky kid.

B) I want to know how it is for people who are into mtbiking who are married to people who arent so much into riding. How does it work?
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Yup, homelife does deserve it's time. Definitely...

I actually have done research on this, and I have been looking into ways to make the trips family/spouse friendly. It would actually be very doable. There are tons of other things to do during the daytime, and lots going on at night as well. Spa treatments, shopping, ruin walking, photo junket-ing, horseback riding, motorcycling, etc. Not to mention that trustworthy nannys are super cheap! There are ways that a trip like this could work well, it would just change the dynamic, and be more complex. Next February I am planning a trip where the group would rent a fat beach house, and base trips from there, with the 12,000 foot descents just being an option as to what to do for the day. Think about that idea, pooled together, four families could live the jet-set high life for a week pretty inexpensively, and get to party too.

And then we eat them."

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    Hey, okay two things...

A) kudos to EP for getting his priorities right and straight. You have a lucky kid.

B) I want to know how it is for people who are into mtbiking who are married to people who arent so much into riding. How does it work?
    Thanks, although I'm not sure my wife would agree with you, considering I have this horrible ongoing case of upgraditis with my bikes.

How does it work, being married to a non-rider? Well, before we became parents, and my wife was traveling 3 nights a week for work, it worked famously. I rode when she was gone and was home when she was home. She likes to hike, so on the weekends, I would ride with my buddies and she'd hike with hers. When our son was born, things changed drastically, as every parent knows. We have to schedule personal time with each other fairly far in advance, and we try to keep our "personal/free" time equal. Sometimes it's not totally equal, but I try to be fair with my wife so that she gets plenty of time for herself. I figure the more time I give her to do her thing, the more time I get to do mine.

(Interestingly, this ongoing deal with my wife that we schedule things in advance and that we have "free time fairness," however, has been interpreted by other riders as being my own personal "tight scheduling requirements." If they only knew. Hey, if I were single, childless, and had lots of disposible income and free time - in other words, if I were smilycook - I'd be the one doing all day backcountry epics every weekend and jetting to Peru for a week of riding.)

Politically Incorrect

My wife doesn't really like it when I spend $50 to replace my chainrings, or want to be gone 5 hours to ride in the Danskins. Not that I let that stop me (usually).

My wife doesn't ride, and we have 2 small kids (2&5). I have a few things I do to make it work. I plan my rides around any scheduling conflicts, even if that means occasionally missing a ride or two. During the week I will often come to work early and ride on my 'lunch hour' so that I can be home earlier in the evening. Fortunately I work for someone where I can take two hours for a 'lunch' break, so long as I get all my hours in for the day. This means that alot of my rides are by necessity short, so I account for that by upping the intensity and still manage to stay in fairly good shape. I usually manage to ride 3 times a week, and get in the occasional epic ride in the Danskins or up by Bogus.

The other thing I do is make sure that I take my turn staying at home with the kids when my wife has something she wants to go do. I figure its only fair she get out and have some fun too, especially since she spends a lot more time at home w/ the kids while I am working.

That has worked well so far in our married life of 8 yrs. I expect that as my kids get older and more involved in school and other activites I will miss more rides, and I have no problem with that. I chose to have a family, and knew all along that with that choice there would be some things I like that I would have to give up. I was going to say sacrifice, but since I enjoy spending time with my wife & kids, it really is a good trade off, less of one good thing for more of another.

Politically Incorrect
    If I had known you were going to post this, I could have saved myself a lot of typing an just said 'ditto'.

Thanks, although I'm not sure my wife would agree with you, considering I have this horrible ongoing case of upgraditis with my bikes.

How does it work, being married to a non-rider? Well, before we became parents, and my wife was traveling 3 nights a week for work, it worked famously. I rode when she was gone and was home when she was home. She likes to hike, so on the weekends, I would ride with my buddies and she'd hike with hers. When our son was born, things changed drastically, as every parent knows. We have to schedule personal time with each other fairly far in advance, and we try to keep our "personal/free" time equal. Sometimes it's not totally equal, but I try to be fair with my wife so that she gets plenty of time for herself. I figure the more time I give her to do her thing, the more time I get to do mine.

(Interestingly, this ongoing deal with my wife that we schedule things in advance and that we have "free time fairness," however, has been interpreted by other riders as being my own personal "tight scheduling requirements." If they only knew. Hey, if I were single, childless, and had lots of disposible income and free time - in other words, if I were smilycook - I'd be the one doing all day backcountry epics every weekend and jetting to Peru for a week of riding.)

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IbikeID
    If I had known you were going to post this, I could have saved myself a lot of typing an just said 'ditto'.
    Yeah, I think rideit could have entitled this thread "Do smilycook, flipinidaho and all other posters here with no wife or kids, lots of cash, and plenty of free time want to come and ride in Peru?" That would have saved everyone a lot of time!!

This thread reminds me of almost every post smilycook makes, the gist of which usually is "look at what great and secret trail I just rode because I have more time, money and trail knowledge than you do!! Ha ha - I did this while you losers were riding the foothills again! Don't you wish you were as cool as me?"
    Last edited by Earthpig; 01-07-2006 at 07:42 AM.

Rocks Rock

It's a trade off

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    Hey, okay two things...

Very few couples like all the same stuff. My wife and I take advantage of the stuff we both like to do and do it together when ever possible. Also each of us bends a little to participate in our individual passions. I go walking, hiking and to hippie dippie events and such with my wife. She goes on bike trips with me, she finds other things that she really loves to do while I mountain bike and when she bikes with me I take it easy on her and we stick to the green belts, roads (without much traffic) and easy trails. This summer I am hoping to get her up in the foothils, she's been going to spin classes so she should be able to start climbing a bit.
    We also ride in Yellowstone Park. In the spring, for a couple weeks, it is closed to motorized traffic and they even snowplow the snow and buffalo **** off the roads. Then in the fall they have a supported trip from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful and back. They provide shuttles for this ride and you can do the whole trip or as little as you want.
    It's hard damn work staying married, but well worth it.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IbikeID
    My wife doesn't really like it when I spend $50 to replace my chainrings, or want to be gone 5 hours to ride in the Danskins. Not that I let that stop me (usually).

My wife doesn't ride, and we have 2 small kids (2&5). I have a few things I do to make it work. I plan my rides around any scheduling conflicts, even if that means occasionally missing a ride or two. During the week I will often come to work early and ride on my 'lunch hour' so that I can be home earlier in the evening. Fortunately I work for someone where I can take two hours for a 'lunch' break, so long as I get all my hours in for the day. This means that alot of my rides are by necessity short, so I account for that by upping the intensity and still manage to stay in fairly good shape. I usually manage to ride 3 times a week, and get in the occasional epic ride in the Danskins or up by Bogus.

The other thing I do is make sure that I take my turn staying at home with the kids when my wife has something she wants to go do. I figure its only fair she get out and have some fun too, especially since she spends a lot more time at home w/ the kids while I am working.

That has worked well so far in our married life of 8 yrs. I expect that as my kids get older and more involved in school and other activites I will miss more rides, and I have no problem with that. I chose to have a family, and knew all along that with that choice there would be some things I like that I would have to give up. I was going to say sacrifice, but since I enjoy spending time with my wife & kids, it really is a good trade off, less of one good thing for more of another.

Perhaps you will find that as your kids age, they will be out riding with you. Just ask Twisted crank.

PS- I wish that my spouse would take a long vacation and find adventure. It is a healthy thing.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpro
    Perhaps you will find that as your kids age, they will be out riding with you. Just ask Twisted crank.

PS- I wish that my spouse would take a long vacation and find adventure. It is a healthy thing.
    I'll second both of those thoughts. Looking forward to my son graduating this summer from the trailer to the kid tandem attachment. (Make the little bugger pedal some instead of being 50 lbs of dead weight!) As for the spouse, mine doesn't have a passion for any activity or hobby that comes close to mine for biking. Thus, it's hard for her to understand my addiction.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpro

Well gorsh now that you dragged me into the discussion...

As much as I wish I could ride the sweet singletrack all day every day or ski the bottomless pow all day every day the fact of the matter is that I would not trade my marriage and what comes with it for any of that. Yes there are compromises (vacations are spent doing something the whole family enjoys, family time is family time and that's not always riding or skiing despite the fact that Mrs. Twisted and the little Twister ride and ski. I'm lucky that my spouse sees the theraputic value in my riding and well being so I am encouraged to hammer out the local miles within reason and to go for a "boys weekend on bikes" on occasion.

Bringing the thread full circle I wish I could do a Peru-like trip, I used to take those trips, I don't now and I don't lose sleep over it. As for the second vacation that RideIt describes (boys bike, girls tour) I wouldn't do that. I'd rather have fun as a family on extended trip like that. I come home to them in an endorphine and adrenaline induced euphoria often enough as it is.

26er

damm..

This thread reminds me of almost every post smilycook makes, the gist of which usually is "look at what great and secret trail I just rode because I have more time, money and trail knowledge than you do!! Ha ha - I did this while you losers were riding the foothills again! Don't you wish you were as cool as me?"
    Go away for a couple of days and get slammed I think flip is just as bad as I am with posting cool trips though.

Well the pow was nice this past weekend over at grand targee A little sore after four days of skiing.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    How 'bout this for a serious post...

14 months after being told that I would not be able to ride again, I rode what you guys call the dork loop, and it was the best damn ride I've had. The ride left totally elated and motivated. (Those of you that know me know why!!!)

In all fairness it is not about what you ride, how long you ride, or where you ride. It is about enjoying the ride that your on.

Geez, people are going to think I am an adult....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast