mtbr member

Anyone Have Experience with BikesDirect? And Gravity?

I'm still looking for a new bike (if you see a blue, 21'' '07 Cobia with a scratched up, silver Tora fork, kick the person for me) and I came across a website called Bikesdirect that sells Motobecane and Grativy bikes. I have heard of Motobecane, but not Gravity. Regardless, the prices are pretty incredible, and it looks like they ship. Does anyone have experience with any of these? Any thoughts? Thanks!

26er
    Well I just bought a motobecane 29er hardtail frame about 2 months ago since I was looking to put some parts I had laying around on a bike to pull a kid trailer with. The frame was only $175 with shipping so it was cheap. The bike built up with no issues and I am happy with it for its intended purpose. The ride is run of the mill, but the bike is a good value. Oh and hardtails are still brutal in my book even if they are a 29er.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I used to take my Fisher up onto Rock Island (below Table Rock) a lot, and it did quite well. I wonder if the Motobecane or Gravity could keep up?

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    ianjt, there are a lot of threads about Motobecane and BikesDirect in the Beginner's forum. Some of them get pretty contentious, but I think the consensus is that the Moto hardtails are decent frames and the component specs are terrific.

Fezzari, a bike manufacturer out of Utah, also deals direct and has several "bang for the buck" offerings, including a decked-out 29er for $1,899: http://www.fezzari.com/29er/ninety9ninety/.

If you're willing to step back down to the 26-inch realm, here are two bikes to consider:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t+Bike+10.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t+Bike+10.aspx

HTH,

HP

mtbr member
    That Fezzari is gorgeous. Thanks for the link. Maybe I will find $1000 laying around that no one will claim

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Hah! You're welcome.

I know--I'm evil. I won't be buying a new bike anytime soon, so I gawk and gape at bikes for others. Como agua por chocolate ...

I've no direct experience with Fezzari, but word on these forums is it is a hands-on, customer service-oriented company. Their build kits are not set in stone, either--I've read of people upgrading forks and other customizations.

And, yes, they are gorgeous.

P.S. -- Don't forget to check out their "Outlet" deals. There are some screamin' bargains for last year's models.

Disabled Vet
    I've now owned 2 used BD bikes,and have dealt with their customer service (when they weren't liable for any warantee,mind you),and have nothing but good to say of them. I won't get into the whole "support your local bike shop" thing,it's been beaten to death in the threads mentioned in the beginner forum. Point is,BD owns every brand they sell (that I'm aware of),the names Motobecane,Dawes,Windsor,Gravity,etc are all BD brands/bikes,but they can't be beat for a new bike for the investment,IMO (the "O" in that means OPINION,before I get slammed here ).

I feel so comfy with them that having been without a complete mtn bike to ride for almost a year (not without a bike,without a 29"er with fat knobbies and 1 gear ),I pulled the trigger on a new Gravity G29 rigid 29"er SS yesterday morning. It's basic,rigid,aluminum and all the parts are the manufacturer's lowest ranking part (or close to it),but 98% of it IS name brand parts (and I happen to have severak upgrade-upper mid level parts laying around from my last 29"er,but even if I didn't I woulda ordered it),but it's in route and only cost me $349.95 out the door/shipped. Here's a thread on that specific bike....

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

And a thread on the Dawes Deadeye/Bullseye (all but sold out,but you can get a feel for BD in the thread)...
    Dawes Deadeye

Hope that helps a bit
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a gravity ss 29er, and have helped two friends assemble their gravity geared bikes. I also have two specialized 29ers (hardtail and full sus.)

Oh, and my neighbor has two as well; we each noticed each others gravity bikes on the trail one day.

Similar geometry to my specialized hardtail, good welds. Overbuilt, really. Parts were as specced. The frame is a pound or two heavier than the name brands. Really good value, rides nicely.

I'd recommend them, assuming you know your size and are handy enough to do your own maintenance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
    Oh and hardtails are still brutal in my book even if they are a 29er.
    I used to think that, until I switched to high volume 29er tires, running tubeless, at about 20psi. I wish I'd tried this configuration before buying a full suspension bike...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    bought a road bike from them back Dec. 2012. received the bike damaged, sent the bike back and 5 days later received the replacement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've been on my Moto Fly Team 29er from almost two years now and love it. For the price the build spec's are amazing, and BD's shipping service, even on replacement parts, is very quick.