mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Anyone have any info on this article on singletrack from Galena Summit to Fairfield?

http://www.backpacker.com/april_2008...s/12355?page=5

It's from Backpacker magazine and the directions could not be more vague - "...follow the obvious dirt road on the east side down to the Salmon River headwaters." There is no way the author is from Idaho, all the dirt roads here are obvious.

Any info on the trailhead and the "screaming singletrack" of which he writes is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've looked at on the map and it looks like a great ride but I suspect that it's not all "smooth and screaming" singletrack as stated in that article. Looks like you drop most of the vert on an old 2-track from the pass and then a climb albeit gradual up to the Big Smokey headwaters. I'd be interested to hear. Hell of a shuttle.

I rode up to Skillern Hot Springs last summer and that was pretty nice. However, the upper pool which was only 93F. An isolated (from the current) lower pool was scalding hot at 135F. I didn't experience the perfect midcurrent soak as there wasn't any hot water to mix with that I could find. Maybe the creek was still too high but this was mid-July. And the horse flies were extremely carnivorous.

mtbr member

Head waters of Salmon to Big Smokey

This is a long time Classic. I first rode in back in '86. Hell of a shuttle.

From Galena Summitt just on the west side on the south of the pavement is the old toll wagon road down to the valley floor. After crossing the valley on this road the climb gets steep but is short and gated to prevent further autos.

At the top is the head waters of the salmon ain a very fine valley. single track and multiple stream/river crossings. open to moto cycles, well maintained in some years-might want to call for current trail report. Sawtooth National Recreation Area in K-town. 208-727-5000.

Done it many times-but not in the last 10-15 years. Always worth doing if you can arrange the shuttle. Other now "Classic/Epic" rides in the area are an easyer shuttle or loop.

mtbr member
    let's do it. have truck...will shuttle....beer at the bottom

mtbr member
    I leave on Sunday for said environs for MTB/beverages/BBQ etc.
    Hook up with the tour train-call me...
    We leave this fine city Sunday-Deer Creek camping - Wolftone/curran/kinsey-K-town-land of the rich and infamous..Wed on to the remoteness of Stanley. Decker Flats Base Camp...
    Ants Basin to Robinson Bar-hear beavers built up huge dams in Warmsprings meadow and will chase you in your attempt to croos over to Robinson Bar trail-avalanche debris said to take hours to cross...all good hard, adventure fun...
    Last edited by Howley; 07-17-2009 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info.

I found a little more. The ride is actually mentioned in "Mountain Biking Sun Valley, Idaho" by Greg "couldn't write a guide book if his life depended on it" McRoberts. There is a brief description on page 8, #1, Multiday and Adventurous Rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong_Crosby
    Thanks for the info.

I found a little more. The ride is actually mentioned in "Mountain Biking Sun Valley, Idaho" by Greg "couldn't write a guide book if his life depended on it" McRoberts. There is a brief description on page 8, #1, Multiday and Adventurous Rides.
    Then write your own guidebook Afraid to head out on your own w/out explicit directions?

Greg is a good guy and makes very little money, if at all on his guidebook.