Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

New question here. Any interest in a semi-regular Monday night MTBR mellow ride?

With the time change this weekend, I've started thinking more and more about the after work rides. During the daylight savings time of year, I've had a standing kitchen pass from the wife to ride on Monday nights since about 1997. Back then, McU's used to host a regular Monday night ride from the shop at the corner of Hill and Bogus Basin. Over the years, the McU's ride fizzled out, and the group of guys that used to do that ride pretty regularly either moved away, quit riding, or started riding with other groups (i.e., the Monday night HP group, or the Monday night Ken's group). Last year, I volunteered to "lead" a Monday nighter for Lost River, which was a total disaster. Rarely did anyone show up, and when people actually did show it was fun, until the PRO and expert Lost River guys started showing up and blowing up the ride with an intolerably fast pace. This effectively scared off the non-racers and the ride went kaput by mid-summer.

Anyway, there's often rides proposed on the board, and many people have said that they ride on the spur of the moment when they can, but I've always found that having a standing, pre-scheduled night to ride makes it easier to ensure getting a ride in. Mondays have always been good for a "recovery" ride night after hitting it hard Saturday and Sunday. In the past, the McU's Monday nighters were ridden at a shorter distance and a little slower pace, with the ultimate goal of drinking beer and hanging out after the ride. Heck, I even bought the first pitcher at "Sucky 13" after the first couple Monday nighters last year.

So, any interest in a standing Monday night mellow-pace MTBR ride this summer? We could set a standing time and place to meet, with the occasional variation to go up to Bogus when it gets really hot. If somebody else shows up, great, if not you can ride anyway, and there'd be no pressure to show or not show. I figure I'm going to be riding every Monday night anyway, and I've always found it's more enjoyable to share a ride experience rather than to be a lone wolf (I know that there are many on this board who disagree completely).

Any takers? If so, what's a good time/place for you? Camelsback is probably out, just because it's gotten so insane in recent years to even find a place to park after work on weeknights. My recommendation would be to meet at the Ft. Boise parking lot off Mtn. Cove road, because there's lots of room to park, it's within a short riding distance of downtown and the north and east ends, and it's pretty centrally located for hitting the lower foothills and Tablerock trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good idea on not parking at CB Park. That place is a zoo. Fort Boise parking is so wide open. I'm thinking this upcoming Monday I can't (rain is in the forecast) but maybe afterward. I work near downtown and have pledged to do a lot more riding this year. Two years ago I was putting in 200-250 miles on the road per week with some fun mtb rides thrown in. Last year I may have ridden a total of 200-250 yards.

Seems anything organized even on a semi-organized format is difficult for many due to conflicting schedules. But it never hurts to ask.

mtbr member
    EP. i like the slow pace idea. i also like the beer idea.

my question: What time would you generally have the meet time.

6 pm is always good for me. don't know about others. but, i typically need to stay at the office until 5...so 6 is a "safe" time

my only other conflict is that i have two vizslas. and they NEED activity. so, i usually bring them with me on rides (80% of my rides). i know some people don't like to ride with dogs. and also, having a large group of riders with dogs as well, could tick off other trail users...

so, count me in for a few of these this summer. sometimes, the dogs will need to ride with me, so i'll go solo or with a smaller group.

roar
    EP. That sounds like fun. In the summer, I like to go at 7. Theres still lots of daylight left and its less hot than 6.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Seems anything organized even on a semi-organized format is difficult for many due to conflicting schedules. But it never hurts to ask.
    Dan K - Agreed on the above, which is why the McU's ride and the LRC Monday night ride fizzled. It's also why I'm throwing this out as a "semi-regular" ride - one where if you want to ride with others, great, if you can make it, great, if you can't, no biggie. I know I'm going to be riding every Monday night I'm in town anyway, and this gives people a set place and time for the opportunity to hook up for a ride if they're interested. If this happens, it could work out such that people could post during the day on Mondays whether they're interested in riding that night.

Garnet & RRB - The old McU's rides used to start around 6:30, which gave everyone the opportunity to get out of work, get home, and get to the ride. That time was fine until late August, early September, when the ride time would usually get moved up to 6 or earlier due to earlier sunsets. I tried to move up the start time last year to 6:15 when I "hosted" the LRC ride, but this caused some b!tching by what was left of the old McU's group that it was too early, and some b!tching by others that it was too late (ahem, cinnoman monkey). My compromise personally last year, since I get off work at 4:30, is that I'd go for a solo, warm up "pre-ride" from 5:30 to 6:15 and then meet the group at 6:15 for the group ride. All that said, a set 6:30 departure seems to split the baby between your two desired times, and is consistent with the old McU's time. (I'd probably keep with my routine of a pre-ride warm up before the 6:30 group ride.) Again, as DanK pointed out, it's impossible to satisfy everyone's individual desires about time, place, route, pace, etc..., but like I said, this is simply a way to give everyone the opportunity to meet and ride together if they desire. As for dogs, I have no problem riding with dogs, and I know others ride with dogs regularly. A compromise for those who don't want to ride with dogs is that a rider with a dog or two would possibly "sweep." Just an idea.

Barneys Unite!
    I would definitely be interested. Ft. Boise is pretty close to my work, too.

TF

mtbr member

Heat

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    so, count me in for a few of these this summer. sometimes, the dogs will need to ride with me, so i'll go solo or with a smaller group.
    Hey Cary,
    Nice to meet you the other day. Good looking dogs... Afternoon summer rides are hard on poochies (even Ridgebacks). The Reserve area does not have as much easily accessible water as say, Hulls (at least until it dries up) so the dogs may suffer a bit. I do pack Lua some water when we ride in the summer but I typically end up taking her early morning for a run, walk or SS up Hulls instead. She's good for the rest of the day/evening after that....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Hey Cary,
    Nice to meet you the other day. Good looking dogs... Afternoon summer rides are hard on poochies (even Ridgebacks). The Reserve area does not have as much easily accessible water as say, Hulls (at least until it dries up) so the dogs may suffer a bit. I do pack Lua some water when we ride in the summer but I typically end up taking her early morning for a run, walk or SS up Hulls instead. She's good for the rest of the day/evening after that....

yep. once the water stops flowing in the creeks..it's about time to do shorter and shorter rides with the dogs. and later as well. i usually carry a couple water bottles for them, and then i have my camelback too. lots of stops. i'm extremely careful about not letting them overheat.

for the past two summers, i've driven up to bogus to get up in the trees for some shade on weeknights...

and EP. unfortunately, my dogs would not figure out the sweep thing. i'd have to lag way behind. they like to take the lead.

and 6:30 is even better for me.

so, looks like RRB will be at some of the rides. any other women? my wife rides as well.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Geoff I'm interested

I think you should put out the effort, and the Ft. Boise area to park or park and start sounds fine. I can't say I'll do every one of these Monday rides but a good number for sure.

Thanks

Contagious Xian

Good job!

I'm in.
    Post-ride refreshments allowed in Ft. Boise parking lot?
    CBro has a cooler.
    6 works fine for me.
    Bret still visit the board?
    Night rides.
    Thanks for organizing big guy.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    bike -a- licious...

I'm outta my office at 3:30 everyday after this Friday. Though I will be very spent after the weekend rides...so I will be slow.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    and EP. unfortunately, my dogs would not figure out the sweep thing. i'd have to lag way behind. they like to take the lead.
    Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. In any event, I'm certainly not going to tell someone not to bring their dog. If my basset hound could move any quicker than, say, an ice age, I'm sure he'd want to come along too.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    bike -a- licious...

I'm outta my office at 3:30 everyday after this Friday. Though I will be very spent after the weekend rides...so I will be slow.
    Vis - you checked your PM today? (I said PM, not BM. We all hear too much about your BMs anyway.)

And, speaking of earlier rides, my other "set" weekly ride is 3:30 on Friday afternoons (we close at 3). Let me know if you ever want to hook up for the Friday afternoon thing.

Hoops - Big and Small

Monday Nights

Who's bringing the beer bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contagious Xian
    he (Crash_Burn) lives! Looks like another DIY project for this summer...
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 03-30-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Contagious Xian

booyah

Ready to get these rolling soon?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Ready to get these rolling soon?
    Dunno. Seemed like there was some initial interest and the idea kind of fizzled. I've been sticking to my normal Monday night routine, but going right after work instead of waiting until 6:30.

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Dunno. Seemed like there was some initial interest and the idea kind of fizzled. I've been sticking to my normal Monday night routine, but going right after work instead of waiting until 6:30.
    Tonight I am taking the big bike out for a thighbuster since the Coiler is in the shop. I'm definitely in when I return from Moab in a few weeks, so let's get together.

Good seeing you and Earthpig Junior yesterday