Thread: Antz basin

mtbr member

Antz basin

Looking at doing a loop up to antz basin and down warm springs to fisher creek. Anybody know if downed trees have been cleared yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You'd probably get the best information by calling the Stanley Ranger's office (Sawtooth National Forest).

mtbr member
    Don't call the Stanley RS. Last summer they had no record of a trail crew ever being in there. They also called a few other RSs for me who had similar to report. It's moto riders who clear these trails and I have reports from riders on the Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike Route finding cleared trails through Ants Basin and the Warm Springs drainage.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

26er
    You need to ask for Ed Cannady at the Stanley RS to get the scoop.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Good to know

26er
    There is also an whitecloud outfitters that clears some of the whitecloud trails since they guide on them. I have run into them on chamberlin creek.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    My son and I rode the loop last weekend. 4th of july road was as expected, the climb from 4th of july lake to the ridge over Born lakes was short with 50% hike a bike up to 9900 feet. We camped at one of the Born lakes. The ride out warm springs and then the last half of the
    Fisher creek loop was great. We had to do quick dismounts for about 15 downed trees on warm springs (no giant trees with walk arounds).
    The trail in Ants basin was pretty easy to follow. As mentioned elsewhere, despite what maps show, there is no trail from the ridge straight north through Ants basin into warm springs drainage. Instead, you head east from the ridge through ants basin to the born lakes then down warm springs.
    This pic is from the top of the ridge looking north into warm springs drainage.Antz basin-photo-6.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeze6700 View Post
    despite what maps show, there is no trail from the ridge straight north through Ants basin into warm springs drainage.
    Not on this map.

I specifically did not symbolize it connecting to Antz Basin. We got sucked into bushwacking through the basin and down the slope to finally find the trail. There are cairns intermittently once you hit the trees, and some trail does still exist, but it goes in and out of open meadows which have reclaimed the trail that existed. Once you hit the final slope down to the creek, the trail exists.

How much of the trail remains - as of 2013 - I have shown, beginning at the junction with the Warm Springs Creek Trail.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How's that road up to 4th of July?
    My girl & I are in Ketchum for the week but have her low clearance VW Beetle.
    That road gonna be a problem?
    Anyone heading up there this weekend and wanna shuttle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Road up 4th of July is fine for all rigs. Trail down to Robinson Bar was cleared by trail crew in mid-August. We found 2 downed trees the whole way (something like Sept 10). If you are in one rig only, you might consider parking the car in the Williams Creek parking, ride up 4th of July, then ride the top half of Antz Basin out Williams. You miss a lot of gorgeous singletrack, but hit a lot of great riding and miss the looong shuttle.

mtbr member
    The trail to robinson bar is cleared? Sweet, that makes for a stellar ride. Either Ants basin, warm springs, robinson or up Williams down robinson.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    What a difference a week makes - especially in mid November. The high country is done for this season. Multiple double digits of snow and single digit temperatures will do that.
    Casey - that first trail out of the basin needs to be taken off the maps and the cairns dismantled. Like so many Idaho routes that followed the water courses and have since been rerouted, realigned and not revisited for mostly good reason. The trail leading to Born Lakes has gotten much more rideable in the past twenty some years that I have been frequenting it and the trail leaving the lakes and dropping into the valley above where the "old" trail intersects it is well worth the admission price. Not only that but leaving tracks through the pristine meadows in the cirque is really not that happening nor a good visual for the non rider to witness from the saddle at the divide. Just saying...
    Sun Summit South in Hailey, Idaho
    http://crankandcarve.webs.com/