Thread: Alpine #7?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Alpine #7?

Is Alpine #7 rideable yet? Planning a road trip next weekend, July 5 - 9. Thinking about Napa Lookout to Wire or Bond. Also looking at Columbia Mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i just got home yesterday so i have not had direct experience but flying in yesterday i looked at the swan crest and only noticed small widely spread patches of snow so i would guess that you might experience some small sections in shaded areas You could also try asking wheatens cyclery or glacier cyclery > its supposed to be about 90 the next couple of days so that should help your cause

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    Is Alpine #7 rideable yet? Planning a road trip next weekend, July 5 - 9. Thinking about Napa Lookout to Wire or Bond. Also looking at Columbia Mountain.

JAK
    mtbr member
    Napa on up isn't usually good to go until mid to end of August, or just plan on some scenic snowfield walks. Snowfields are bitchen in the toasty weather and do Wire, hella better DH than Bond. Bring bear spray in holster, myself and just about everyone I know has had the luxury of seeing or getting close to the lovely griz.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    When you say just do Wire, do you mean park at Bond lake south of Swan lake, climb up to Alpine#7, then descend Wire back down? What kind of time commitment is that? Difficulty?

Thanks!
    2016 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

JAK
    mtbr member
    No, I mean whenever you descend that 'area', do Wire, Bond is boring. Did you used to live in Flag or is that Rockman I am thinking of??
    Night has fallen.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Thatís Rockman. He is in Flag, Iím from Tucson. Here for 3 weeks. Gonna hit up the local trails, the MES, Fernie and Rossland

Iíve always wanted to do #7, with FFT group ride, but it is usually later in the season when I have to get home. Those long rides are best done with local knowledge. Trailforks will only get you so far.

Descend Wire, thanks!!

JAK
    mtbr member
    Nice, you're welcome!! If you're doing Fernie and Rossland, do not miss out on Nelson. Some of the best riding I have ever done and I have ridden in all of the Western States for the last 34yrs, extensively in CA and MT and Nelson is hella more funner!!

#7 is a hoot!! Enjoy!

p.s., I asked about the Flag person b/c I rode with Rockman via Gullo in Sedona and their local knowledge was welcomed for trail riding as well as Rockman's geologic observations and descriptions of the surroundings...yeah, local knowledgeable knowledge-eers can make riding a bit more fun.
    Night has fallen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rode Doris Creek to Alpine #7 to Columbia on Saturday. Columbia is a ripping decent!! Different segment than what was discussed above.

Looking to ride Napa to Apline #7 to Wire in a couple weeks. Sounds awesome!
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

mtbr member
    Bond is boring? Seriously? Its pretty techy IMO. I love Wire to Bond, too. The section fron Trinkus to Bond is not too bad right now. The brush isnt as bad as usual. I like just going up to Bond Lake as an in and out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Nice, you're welcome!! If you're doing Fernie and Rossland, do not miss out on Nelson. Some of the best riding I have ever done and I have ridden in all of the Western States for the last 34yrs, extensively in CA and MT and Nelson is hella more funner!!

#7 is a hoot!! Enjoy!

p.s., I asked about the Flag person b/c I rode with Rockman via Gullo in Sedona and their local knowledge was welcomed for trail riding as well as Rockman's geologic observations and descriptions of the surroundings...yeah, local knowledgeable knowledge-eers can make riding a bit more fun.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! #7 is on the bucket list but won't make it that far north this summer. Sure had fun in Whitefish and Fernie last summer. One of these days.

JAK
    mtbr member
    Well make sure you get #7 and bone-up on your belt rocks...so many beds, so little time!! Yeah, compared to Wire it is IMHO, plus traversing SpringSlide is a hoot!
    Night has fallen.