Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Mountain

aaarrrggghh!

All Mountain

Doesn't all mountain mean all mountain. I'm just sayin'. Bend has some pretty fun trails.

mtnjam
    arr...ye dirty pirate....

Yep, there sure is some nice riding over there and some nice collaboration with the USFS for trail, uh...features, yeah...trail features
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

aaarrrggghh!

More

Same trail. I can't believe what they are putting on the USFS trails. It really is amazing. Everytime I go there I come back a little disappointed by what we have here.

BTW.......I could have done this on a Huffy hardtail but I bought into the marketing and decided to ride it on my Trek Remedy instead. We rode McKenzie River Trail also. I could have done that on my hardtail also but I think I was more comfy on my Trek Marketing Machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtnjam
    McKenzie River trail is a fun one...

Did you ride it from the lake as a shuttle or an out and back? We did an out and back about a month ago made it up to Deer Creek.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    Same trail. I can't believe what they are putting on the USFS trails. It really is amazing. Everytime I go there I come back a little disappointed by what we have here.
    Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I personally am really glad that noone has not built a bunch of structure on our trails. Technical is fun, but I'm not really into putting urban features into the wilds. I'd love to see more diverse trails, but not at the expense of losing "nature." I started riding because I like seeing the natural landscape. The pictures of these trails are not very natural looking to me.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

aaarrrggghh!
    We started at Clear Lake and rode down to the ranger station at the end. We made one wrong turn and added a little to our ride so I think all told it was about 28 miles. It was such an awesome trail. Technical, loamy, huge trees, very pedally, and as scenic as any trail I've ever been on. Just an amazing piece of trail.

aaarrrggghh!
    Hmmm.....the quote at the bottom of your post pretty much sums it up. Crap cake. I love that we have trails so close at hand. And to be honest with you, I'll take great single track over stunts any day of the week. Bend has trees and great dirt. We have neither. Bend has trails with clearly marked technical sections and good ride arounds for those less inclined. We also have neither. They have progressive USFS managers who realize the rider's need for progressive trail building. We don't.

We have been round and round this topic on this board. If you're satisfied, good for you. The more I travel to ride the more dissatisfied I am with our local system. And don't give me any sh!t about moving or putting in my time to change trails. It's not that easy to move and I have put in lots of time already. I'm just stating my opinion is all. I'm thankful for what I have I just realize it could be a whole lot better.

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    The pictures of these trails are not very natural looking to me.
    DUDE they are made of WOOD! How much more "natural" can a trail get!!!!

I like a good mix of everything. Thankfully, we're just a car ride away from great trails all over the PNW, UT, etc. Just get out there and burn some fossil fuels baby!

mtbr member
    Ivan- you'll like the stuff being built at Jug Mtn Ranch outside McCall. Not ready for prime time yet though.

aaarrrggghh!

McKenzie River Trail

This was one of the most scenic trails I have ever been on. Just amazing. I know circumstances are different here in potato land but Oregon seems to really invest in their public lands. I think this log bridge over one of the river crossings is a good example. This was one of many just like this. These are well maintained public lands to say the least.

aaarrrggghh!

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar
    Ivan- you'll like the stuff being built at Jug Mtn Ranch outside McCall. Not ready for prime time yet though.
    I look forward to the opportunity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    dang, looks like I missed out big time...

aaarrrggghh!
    Perhaps...........perhaps not. OK, you really missed out. Bend was cool but McKenzie was amazing. Lots of pedaling but unreal trail and scenery. Tracy was a real trooper both days considering we rode almost 50 miles in two days. Not one complaint, just smiles. We rode Funner to Stormking to COD to ODP on Saturday. Bend is really coming along. Great all around riding. It was cool putting the Trek to the test. That's kind what I was joking about. All mountain means everything right? Hehehe...

mtbr member

I'm with ya!

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I personally am really glad that noone has not built a bunch of structure on our trails. Technical is fun, but I'm not really into putting urban features into the wilds. I'd love to see more diverse trails, but not at the expense of losing "nature." I started riding because I like seeing the natural landscape. The pictures of these trails are not very natural looking to me.
    Don't we aleady have a few of these here in town? Why ruin the forest and trails when we already have one under the connector and another near the reserve? If anything I think that a person can "all mountain" at Ussery. On a side note, can they call it "all mountain" if the bike only touches wood and not dirt?
    BoiseBoy

mtnjam

not this again...

Main Entry: comĚplaĚcenĚcy
    Pronunciation: \-sən(t)-sē\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural comĚplaĚcenĚcies
    Date: 1650
    1 : self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies
    2 : an instance of complacency

May I take a quote from Brad that has stuck with me for a long time...

I've never been anywhere that's so caught up in the past as Boise. Neon lycra isn't riding attire anymore. Ross rigid bikes are collectors items, not trail rigs. People can ride on rocks now, ROCKS! And, it's fun, not just another Richard Simmons workout challenge. I wonder how mountain biking ever made it here in the first place? Oh wait, I remember, you guys kicked all the motorcyclists off the trails! I'm constantly being interogated by purists for a "renegade" riding style. Here's a question for ya- how is riding on some rocks more erosive than riding pretty much anything in the foothills especially this time of year? It's not even worth debating. Such amazing potential if only people would open their minds. I thought the out-west mentality was better than this. People never change.
    Be it as it may though. I am so happy that we can go out our door and be on singletrack in less than 20 minutes, but there is potential for improvement. Things are getting there, slowly.

aaarrrggghh!
    Boiseboy, you can't really be that misinformed. Skateparks were the best example you could come up with? Really? You completely managed to forget about the Eagle Bike Park where jumps and stunts DO belong, it's the whole reason it's there in the first place.

I wouldn't want to see wooden stunts on foothill trails. It would be totally out of place. However, it wouldn't kill us to have rocky sections included in our trails when built or even perhaps side routes that include them in existing trails. The level of sanitization that goes on around here when building new trails is horrible. I guess I should have clarified in my original post, better NATURAL trails should be readily at hand especially when we have so much potential.

I don't mind traveling to ride other types of trails but I'm amazed at what I see when I do. It's just plain fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Boiseboy, you can't really be that misinformed. Skateparks were the best example you could come up with? Really? You completely managed to forget about the Eagle Bike Park where jumps and stunts DO belong, it's the whole reason it's there in the first place.

I wouldn't want to see wooden stunts on foothill trails. It would be totally out of place. However, it wouldn't kill us to have rocky sections included in our trails when built or even perhaps side routes that include them in existing trails. The level of sanitization that goes on around here when building new trails is horrible. I guess I should have clarified in my original post, better NATURAL trails should be readily at hand especially when we have so much potential.

I don't mind traveling to ride other types of trails but I'm amazed at what I see when I do. It's just plain fun.

I hope you understand you are offending those that are working very hard to build the kind of trails you like to ride. We spend a tremendous number of hours walking hillsides to identify the kind of features you like incoporated into trails. But those that seem to complain about it the most, seem to show up the least. That is the difference between here and Bend. The Disiples of Dirt have a huge following that actually show up and dig. Go look at their website.

Mike e.

the new Gilbert Grape
    This was one of the most scenic trails I have ever been on. Just amazing.
    Beautiful pictures!! That's a trail that I could really get into. Technical, fun, and beautiful is where it's at.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

aaarrrggghh!
    Uhhmmm.. I know Mike, this is Ian. I spent hundreds of hours building one that was blown up with dynamite....remember? Gardner Peak is amazing. You guys are doing superb work up there and the quality and quantity of technical features is abundant.

And seriously folks, one can't post about other trails without everyone getting butthurt about it? I simply stated originally that I was amazed at what other people are getting away with on USFS property. WTF.

You have to realize that not everyone can get up there to work on Saturdays. I'm heading up to work on it Wednesday if I ever hear back from Meeker on what he needs done the most up there.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The grass is always greener on the other side.

It don't matter how good your local trails are, when you ride someplace else with anything good, you'll come home and be disappointed. UNHOLY.

Have you ever taken a rider who has never been to Boise on your trails and had them say "You guys have some good stuff" only to have your reaction be "It's not all that, dumas".

Have you ever had someone take you to a local stash you've never been to before and thought "There's some really good stuff here".

You bishes should take up scrapbooking and spend your Saturdays with a bunch of MILFs and a bottle of Black Velvet.

Swole.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

I agree.

I think that we are in complete agreement on this. I love technical terrain and wish we had more built into our trail system (the potential is there). And like you, I don't think that the wooden roller coaster type of terrain would fit in with our environment. It seems quite artificial and reminds me of skate parks.
    I thought that the "all mountain" header was a bit of a head scratcher. My understanding of all mountain is trail riding (XC) with more rocks and bigger drops. Am I wrong?

I wish that I had more time to invest in trail maintenence and building. Unfortunately it seems that every weekend that it is scheduled I have something going on such as a race. Again this Saturday I am working medical for the Twilight Crit, but I would love to spend some hours on Gardner helping out. Unfortuantely for the trails, this is how I mostly get to give back to the cycling world.

We have all been in firefights on this forum before. Safe to say, we all have our favorite type of riding. With this, we are more willing to invest in the type of riding and trails that we will individually get the most enjoyment out of. This is self interest and it is a normal part of life.
    I think that we all enjoy what (trails) we have here in Boise no matter what they are. Some are more satisfied than others and some are willing to push (and work for) change and improvements (diversity) in our trail system.
    I was riding Loon Lake this past weekend and it reminded me of the last time that I rode Watchman and was paying attention to the trail build. There is such great flow and use of the rocks and terrain in the Loon Lake trail that the Watchman builders missed out on. So many of the rocks that could have been made into great terrain were dug out and pushed down the hillside.

I will keep an eye on the board and will make more attempts to assist in trail building as my busy schedule allows. I would like to say thank you for those that do find more time to volunteer, my hat is off to you.
    BoiseBoy

mtnjam
    Gardner is a great example of some great work that is going on right now in the right direction. Now if we can get the USFS to walk Gardner Peak to see what is going on and enlighten them that trails like these can be built responsibly and have some features, I think we are heading in the right direction.

I think what Ian is saying though is trails like these can also be built in the lower foothills too using natural terrain features of the foothills to make some really fun trails. (i.e. all the gullies we have would make great trails, think 18 Road area)

No offense to anyone I have a great amount of respect to those who built and are currently building trails. I've done some and know the amount of hard work that goes into building these be it either land management issues or swinging tools.

mtbr member
    our trail managers (of the lower trails) only build sustainable trails..like this one below..

minimal cuts...

we rode MRT this weekend too. it was nice - however..way too many people..the proximity to the road with people parking and walking portions - particularly where features like the waterfalls and blue hole are...weren't for me.

that trail would be nice on a weekday for sure.

awesome gummy things

at sahilia falls (sp?)...a tour bus with q-tips showed up..there were doughnuts and coffee at the info/kiosk area....only a few miles in...and we hit a carb station. it was great.

mtbr member

You have to realize that not everyone can get up there to work on Saturdays. I'm heading up to work on it Wednesday if I ever hear back from Meeker on what he needs done the most up there.
    i'd like to work up there wednesday as well...6 pm 'til dark...

mtbr member
    First off, nice videos! Personally, I am just happy to see that there are people that are looking to push the status quo. That is how things get changed. If I made these comments back in 2000 when I moved here, people would get surprised, defensive and totally not understand how you could think that the riding was anything but spectacular, regardless of how constructive you were. Well, I pretty much stopped riding-not intentionally, but it just happened. I don't slap on lycra and sit and spin on a long bleak featureless trails in the name of fitness, training, or whatever. I ride for the thrill, fun factor..always looking for that trail that puts you in a state of mind that you cant even convey to people that don't ride. Last summer I started to get back into it. This summer have jumped back in head first. Newer trails like the Eagle bike park, Eastside and Rock Island show that the mindset is changing. Comments like Ivan's (which I agree with 100%) and others show that riders (albeit a minority) want more.

Here's how I like to look at it, Boise is an awesome place to live, and having allot of trails (some which are really good) close by is a bonus. Is it a mecca? No. How many meccas have you been to that you thought "yeah, I could live here, this place has everything I need" Ok Bend kind of goes against this. Bend is a nice place, if you could find a job there and afford to live. Most places you travel too and get your thrills are places you leave behind on your way back to home (the place that has everything you need to be 100% happy.

There is a trend of "doing what we have always done" that exists here, I have definitely noticed that. Land Mangers are reluctant to embrace new ideas and change-I have seen a great deal of that. The scene is slowly changing though, and I like that. There terrain of the foothills just doesn't support the kind of trails that I think the "group" I speak of is looking for-and you cant change that. BUT, the stuff up in the trees offers a lot of possibilities, and they are starting to take shape. As far as trail work, I am chomping at the bit I just need a day that will work with my goofy work schedule. I have done some trail work before, and I like trail building, I like it as much as riding! I plan to get more involved in this any way possible. I don't want to disrespect any of the work or individuals contributing to the growth of our trail system, you have my full respect and right now is when anyone working to improve the trail system needs reinforcement, not negative criticism-that is something I appreciate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast