Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

8th Steet Trails in Boise

518 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Double H 
#1 ·
Hi to everyone. I'm new to the Mountain Home area. Can someone please give me detailed directions fom I-84 to the 8th street trails?? Also, is ther any single track there suitable for a 12yo without too many hard climbs? Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
From Mountain Home:

- Take I-84 to the Broadway exit
- Take Broadway north several miles, until passing BSU and crossing the river. The road changes names, but stay straight.
- Bear left onto Fort St, when you get the chance. If you miss the turn you'll end up on State St. (not a big deal as they parallel each other).
- Turn right (which is north) on 13th St. and follow it to Camel's Back Park. Look for parking.

The trails to hit are on the east side of the large hill at Camel's Back Park. Most of the trails near the park and headed to the northeast are suitable for a 12 year old. If he/she can make the climb up Kestrel (it might be tough), Crestline Trail is another moderately easy trail that is at the top of hte climb.

#3 ·
or, take the vista ave exit

or take the vista exit...and come straight into downtown.

vista turns into Capital, which is essentially 7th street..once you're downtown amongst the high rises (relative high rises), cut one block west to 8th street and keep headin' north to the foothills.

right behind downtown is the north end neighborhood (old homes). keep going until the road turns to dirt. there is a parking area just before the road turns to dirt..and there's another a little further up where the foothills learning center is. there's a kiosk at most trailhead parking areas. very well marked trail system. have fun.

go here for a good map of roads and trails.

http://www.ridgetorivers.org/

go to trail system map...then click on the "trail system" link. should bring up a pdf of the entire trail system and city streets, including I-84.

have fun.

camelsback park..that leffeaux mentioned is west..as he said..13th street will take you right by it.. 12th, 11th, etc. dead end into the park.

for your 12 year old. kestrel (39A) may be a little bit of a grind..but then you'll be on crestline (28) which is known as the freeway. lots of traffic..it's wider and kinda rolly/flat and gains up to hulls gulch. hulls is singletrack, and is crowded with hikers/runner coming up it.

imo, you're best bet for easy goin climbs, less traffic, and just better trails is the military reserve area.

check out the map.

#4 ·
Take Broadway north several miles, until passing BSU and crossing the river. The road changes names, but stay straight.
- Bear left onto Fort St, when you get the chance.
To clarify, take the Broadway exit and stay in the right lane. It will eventually sweep left and then the right lane will fork to the RIGHT onto Fort Street.

I would actually recommend taking 8th Street instead of 13th. Drive north on 8th until you pass all of the neighborhood streets. There will be a parking lot on the left (west) side of the street, at which point you could hop on your bikes and hit the trails on the other side of 8th Street, or you could continue up 8th Street to another parking lot (on the right - east - side of the street) and connect with the same trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.