Contagious Xian

2/11/06 - Dorking in the B-Town Foothills Anyone?

Saw a lot of folks out there today on the snoop a loop - anyone on the board by chance??

Met a couple guys in the CB parking lot, one had a brand spanking new Transition Preston, let me ride it around a little. Nice solid feeling, responsive bike, although the cockpit felt a tad small for me (and he said it was the biggest one they made - 19" or something).

8th street trails were in marvelous shape. Pig - did you get out today?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

2/12 trail report

I hit the MR/Shanes side of the foothills this AM - what a huge mistake! When I left the house at about 10 AM, the weather channel was reporting 28 degrees, so I figured that I'd be able to hit the reserve/shanes side of things while it was still frozen. Ummm, no. Ridgecrest up to Central Ridge from the Reserve was frozen (and I ran into RRB as she was coming down the trail), but Central Ridge and Shanes' Loop were a friggin muddy, soupy mess. Bad Earthpig!

the new Gilbert Grape
    Saturday, I was in the foothills in the late afternoon. Did Kestrel, then dripped over to Ft. Boise. The trails in Military Reserve were a mess, so I headed up Trail 5 which was in excellent shape. Dropped down Trail 4, which was covered in snow for the first few hundred yards, but after that everything was good. Sidewinder was a little wet at the bottom, and Kestrel at the top, but mostly the trails are in decent shape.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I skied Nordic Highway to Redtail then did the march up Sidewinder and came back via Sappers. Then I went into the lodge to consume some food and went back out for a quick second loop on Sappers. The sun was shining and skis glided effortlessly on sun-softened snow. Yar! That was the skate ski report. The morning spin up the dork loop was the usual although the hikers seemed a tad snippy.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    i made the exact same mistake. this in-between weather is not cool. not much to do with no fresh snow and soupy trails. i did notice the trails are getting wider and wider though...
    Last edited by garnetspur; 02-12-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Met a couple guys in the CB parking lot, one had a brand spanking new Transition Preston, let me ride it around a little. Nice solid feeling, responsive bike, although the cockpit felt a tad small for me (and he said it was the biggest one they made - 19" or something).
    Could it be that they were the Spudhuckster dudes? That Brad fella has a writeup or two about his new Transition bike.

As for me...I did some Dorkin' out at Wilson Creek this afternoon. Mins after I parked, some of my 2C redneck brethern pulled up in a Dodge Ram 4x4 and broke out their rifles. But when I got back they were long gone. They kept eyeing me though as I was getting ready! I kinda felt like I was Marcelus Brown in "Pulp Fiction"!!!

Hi!!!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I skied Nordic Highway to Redtail then did the march up Sidewinder and came back via Sappers. Then I went into the lodge to consume some food and went back out for a quick second loop on Sappers. The sun was shining and skis glided effortlessly on sun-softened snow. Yar! That was the skate ski report. The morning spin up the dork loop was the usual although the hikers seemed a tad snippy.
    Skate skiing kicks ass.

I've never done Sidewinder...looks too hard for me.

Friday night I prodealed a longer set of Rossignols since I'm getting heavier and 180s just don't cut it anymore.

Cuz of the Olys I'm taking time off from heading up to Bogus, but come the end of this month I'll be up there several times a week.

BTW...I am still on planning on buying your front wheel...I just need to figure out what time and day is doable for me.

Contagious Xian

Spudhucking

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Could it be that they were the Spudhuckster dudes? That Brad fella has a writeup or two about his new Transition bike.
    It was a guy named Mark if I recall correctly - had seen the same write-up that you refer to (that many of us I am sure have read).
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 02-12-2006 at 11:09 PM.

roar
    Hey EP! It was good to see you out. I shoulda stopped and warned you since I was just coming down from that mess you were heading into. It was cold enough, I think it would have been frozen and decent riding if I would have headed out like an hour earlier.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Hmmm.....I am wondering if CrashBurn mistaked me for Flip since I was riding with you RRB.

By the way, the look you (CrashBurn) had on your face after I told you how long we had been out on our ride was classic. FYI, I never really go fast.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    Hey EP! It was good to see you out. I shoulda stopped and warned you since I was just coming down from that mess you were heading into. It was cold enough, I think it would have been frozen and decent riding if I would have headed out like an hour earlier.
    Yeah, no worries about the trail report. I tried to walk what I could, and avoided the mud as much as possible. Unfortunately, after about 45 minutes, there was no way to get out of the foothills without hitting a lot of mud. At least it motivated me to give the Ventana a needed washing...

In sum, the reserve side of the foothills has hit the total saturation point and will not be rideable (except early AM after a below-freezing night) for at least another month or so. Ivan, Surly and I agreed on Friday afternoon that we're all sick to death of riding Hulls, but it does seem to be the only rideable foothills trail this winter when it gets above freezing.

On an unrelated note, if Kestrel-Freeway-Hulls Gulch is the "Barney" loop, then Kestrel-Freeway-Sidewinder- east Hulls Ridge (back of Sidewinder) -Freeway-Hulls Gulch is the "Fred" loop.

Bam Bam would be Kestrel-Freeway-Sidewinder- east Hulls Ridge (back of Sidewinder) - 4 - 6 - 5 - Reserver Road back over to and down Kestrel??? Are should that be Wilma and Bob's Bam Bam?

What would Dino be?

Hoops - Big and Small

Spackle Shmackle

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Hmmm.....I am wondering if CrashBurn mistaked me for Flip since I was riding with you RRB. By the way, the look you (CrashBurn) had on your face after I told you how long we had been out on our ride was classic. FYI, I never really go fast.
    Thanks for letting me join in on the fun up Hulls. As far as my expression, I was just trying to comprehend all the pain your a$$ must be feeling - that's one tough a$$!

Now I no why you post your spackle experiences, must be tough clearing the shoot after a five hour ride.

P.S. I spotted some Craft in my closet - oh no!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Bam Bam would be Kestrel-Freeway-Sidewinder- east Hulls Ridge (back of Sidewinder) - 4 - 6 - 5 - Reserver Road back over to and down Kestrel??? Are should that be Wilma and Bob's Bam Bam?

What would Dino be?
    I suggest that we rename all the trails in the foothills. WTF naming trails after people (Bob's Scott's Shane's) or places (Hulls Gulch, Central Ridge, Orchard Gulch) or history (Corrals). Even the somewhat inventive names (Hard Guy, Three Bears) are kinda lame IMHO. Me thinks names with anatomical references or references to anatomical functions would make the trails much more enjoyable to ride. The notoriety could be staggering.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

I got a good laugh at that post. I almost spackled the back of my office chair.

As for the long rides, they are my favorite, and the bottom is quite used to it. I, however, can only use one type of saddle, as the ham only fits on one type of frying pan these days. To top it off, RRB and I went out the next day for another long road ride that threw in more rolling terrain.

Did you find any cardboard or wool with the Craft stuff?

Hoops - Big and Small

Silk Poop

Did you find any cardboard or wool with the Craft stuff?
    My Craft is pure silk
    Attached Images Attached Images