mtbr member

1x10 for indian springs trails??

Moving from florida soon,im in average shape and run a 30t front 11-36 rear.

I see the climbs described as mellow there.

in florida they are short and steep.

John Brown - Santos Trails MTB Park Ocala, Florida - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Might be a bit much

I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but I've been experimenting with 1x10 (29er/11-36) out there and I started with a 28t, and it was doable, but felt too hard on the knees. I've actually been running a 24t since, because that was all I had, but I just got a 26t to try next. I'm thinking for me, that will be pretty good.

There are some steep sections, mostly its the really rocky sections where you want a lower gear, but most places it is a moderate, sustained climb.

mtbr member
    I thought a 28 t might be an option. love the simplicity of a 1x10. ill try the 30t and see what happens

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think a 1x10 is perfect for Indian Springs. I run a 2x9 but have never had to shift into the lower ring. One thing to consider, and an argument against going to the 1x10 (unless you have another bike) is that the Sun Valley Trails are arround an hour away and make for an easy day trip for some more great Idaho riding. The trails up there are more buffed, but have much longer and steeper climbs. If the 1x10 is your only bike you'll need to be in tip top shape to tacke many of those rides.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    I'm running a 1x9 with a 36 up front and an 11x36 in the back; if you think that's too big, ride single speed for a while and then throw a 9-speed cassette on the rear. you'll feel like you have more than plenty of gears to choose from.

mtbr member
    Cool. thank for the info. I was gonna ride sun valley when in the spring so i may want to get a 2x set up for that.

Looking forward to riding out there.

mtbr member
    We look forward to seeing and riding with you!

Mike McAuley
    Spoke and Wheel Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Ill be there a week from thursady so maybe i can catch the next sunday ride.

Gonna order my thermal gear now so ill be prepared.