mtbr member

Zocchi AM 1 for the Mojo?

Ok here's my situation. I'm going to order my wife an Ibis Mojo (orange, small). She bought the Ibis road bike this summer and loves it so now she wants the Mojo. She's a very good rider, has been on a medium 03 Blur for 3 years. She loves to descend and wants to get a bike with a little more rear travel that can take a longer fork but still climb.

After a mishap involving her old Talas fork and the garage I put my Marz Z-1 light on her bike till we got her a revelation. She loved the fork but even shortened to 130mm it was too much for the Blur.

For her new Mojo I'm thinking about getting her an 06 Marz AM 1. It's basically the same fork as my Z1 Light but with standard dropouts. Her current Revelation seems like it would be too short of a fork for the Mojo. I've used several Fox forks and am not really that impressed with them. I love Marzocchis but it is a bit longer AC length than the spec'd Fox 140. It is also heavier.

I'm curious what opinions anyone might have about this combination. I think most of the time she would run the fork between 130-140mm. Maybe extend it to 150 for downhill days. Is this fork too long or too heavy for the Mojo? Don't want the bike to feel like a pig.

Some of the other fork options such as a Pike will require a new front wheel and I have no interest in Manitou.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tough one. Rereading your post and your wife's needs, all I can say is that I didn't put the 07 Zoke due to the longer a2c. Does the Zoke's dampening change in the shorter settings? Again, tough choice.

Maybe take a chance on the 07 Fox 140rlc Float?!?

I love my Pike 454 air u-turn. Don't enjoy explaining to friends why my bike won't fit on their roof rack.

mtbr member
    The AM1 is 521mm AC at 130mm travel which is only 3mm longer than the Pike at 140. Are you happy with how the Mojo handles with the Pike? We are in New Mexico, lots of rocks, steep technical climbs, some good fast descents.

The Z1 feels good whether I have it set for shorter or longer travel and I expect the AM1 would be the same.

If I don't go with the AM1 I'll look at a Pike or possibly even the 07 AM1 SL, although they are sure getting expensive.

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    The AM1 is 521mm AC at 130mm travel which is only 3mm longer than the Pike at 140. Are you happy with how the Mojo handles with the Pike? We are in New Mexico, lots of rocks, steep technical climbs, some good fast descents.

The Z1 feels good whether I have it set for shorter or longer travel and I expect the AM1 would be the same.

If I don't go with the AM1 I'll look at a Pike or possibly even the 07 AM1 SL, although they are sure getting expensive.

Thanks for your input.
    Sounds like the AM1 is the fork for your wife!

I really like the Pike. Simple to set up. Does a great job in 95% of situations; I feel the last tiny bit of travel ramps up too fast.

www.derbyrims.com
    I just returned from a trip to Squaw Valley near Lake Tahoe, Moab, Phoenix, and Prescott riding the Mojo with a Nixon Elite with 138mm measured max travel, having the same A2C as the Fox 140 RL it replaced.

For better pedal clearance pedaling up and over larger rocks, rocky drops, and more confidence cornering in sandy conditions I'll be looking into the '06 AM1 130 - 150 running fully extended for my next year's trip out there.

I did try winding down the Nixon Elite to 115mm travel during a longer fireroad climb to the top of Prescott's Granite Mountain area. It was easier to keep my weight over the pedals, but handling was far too quick in some short fast down grade granite sandy sections along the climb.

The designed Fox fork ride height is just fine for most trail conditions.
    Last edited by derby; 11-27-2006 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Ya, I went ahead and ordered the 06 AM1. Our riding is in New Mexico with trips to Moab, southern Colorado, Idaho, etc. She will still have a Rock Shox Revelation if she wants a shorter travel fork but since she loves the plushness of Marzocchi and loves to blast technical downhills I doubt she'll want the revelation.

Found the fork on Ebay for 399

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-2006-M...QQcmdZViewItem

This is the link, I have no affiliation with this seller, he shipped quickly and the fork was brand new.