mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is your rp23 getting full travel?

Reading a recent post by Derby (whom I feel to be a great source of information, objective and fair with no perceived agenda) stated the rp23 overdamped and not getting full travel.

"I concur with your first ride impression of the Mojo with RP23. My new Mojo with the RP23 was choppy and dicey handling when standing and coasting with the RP23, seated with my 200 pounds was OK, but it didn't feel like more travel than my old Uzzi linked 4.5 inch travel Tracer. And it turns out it wasn't. The RP23 could never get into the last quarter of its potential (I measured) 5.5 inches travel. And the RP23 has too much compression damping even with the propedal flipped off. But that's what works to improve pedaling and handling on older design bikes.

A DHX 5.0 Air can be adjusted much better with less compression damping and full travel usability. The ride is as it should be, well as good as air suspension can be. Less compression damping frees up momentum.

I've gone to coil front and rear with no platform of course and very free compression damping for a big step up in the Mojo's bump handling. Any dicey or choppy feel is eliminated, only a heavier bike could feel smoother. Using a Nixon Elite fork and pre-propedal '02 Vanilla-R, the weight cost was 1.6 pounds, now 29.994 pounds on a digital scale with Time pedals.

And it pedals even better with coil through the rough both seated and standing. Braking is the best. Traction is so good it makes high speeds easy. It's the easiest climbing bike I've ever ridded, no handlebar tugging, even when steep. And the rather linear Mojo dw-Link suspension has no wallowing handling problems other more rising rate designs have when compression damping is fast and free."

I've had forks and shocks not get full travel, and I feel my Mojo gets quality travel. It's set up properly and I have no issues. Love it all. Plus the reviews for the dhx air, well, suck bigtime.
    Was Derby's shock a fluke? Doubt it. That said, anyone have any issues with their rp23 (once the new bike euphoria wears off, that is)?
    Last edited by danK; 10-25-2006 at 11:10 AM.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Reading a recent post by Derby (whom I feel to be a great source of information, objective and fair with no perceived agenda) stated the rp23 overdamped and not getting full travel.

"I concur with your first ride impression of the Mojo with RP23. My new Mojo with the RP23 was choppy and dicey handling when standing and coasting with the RP23, seated with my 200 pounds was OK, but it didn't feel like more travel than my old Uzzi linked 4.5 inch travel Tracer. And it turns out it wasn't. The RP23 could never get into the last quarter of its potential (I measured) 5.5 inches travel. And the RP23 has too much compression damping even with the propedal flipped off. But that's what works to improve pedaling and handling on older design bikes.

A DHX 5.0 Air can be adjusted much better with less compression damping and full travel usability. The ride is as it should be, well as good as air suspension can be. Less compression damping frees up momentum.

I've gone to coil front and rear with no platform of course and very free compression damping for a big step up in the Mojo's bump handling. Any dicey or choppy feel is eliminated, only a heavier bike could feel smoother. Using a Nixon Elite fork and pre-propedal '02 Vanilla-R, the weight cost was 1.6 pounds, now 29.994 pounds on a digital scale with Time pedals.

And it pedals even better with coil through the rough both seated and standing. Braking is the best. Traction is so good it makes high speeds easy. It's the easiest climbing bike I've ever ridded, no handlebar tugging, even when steep. And the rather linear Mojo dw-Link suspension has no wallowing handling problems other more rising rate designs have when compression damping is fast and free."

I've had forks and shocks not get full travel, and I feel my Mojo gets quality travel. It's set up properly and I have no issues. Love it all. Plus the reviews for the dhx air, well, suck bigtime.
    Was Derby's shock a fluke? Doubt it. That said, anyone have any issues with their rp23 (once the new bike euphoria wears off, that is)?
    This was a comment to Tcheezy under his posting about his first ride on a Mojo at Interbike. He's a big guy like me, probably near 200 pounds. We big guys need pretty high air pressure to gain recommended sag and it can limit bottom travel.

I have the same limited travel problem using a Float type shock on my old Tracer, only getting 3/4 travel range, even with very deep sag. But I've also noticed that average weight riders do get full travel on the Tracer using a Float/RP type shock. The spring rate of air is very progressive and I think I need larger air volume than the Float/RP type is.

The DHX 5.0 Air worked much better for me. Full travel, and less compression damping to achieve full travel. I tried coil as mentioned, and found an even smoother small bump ride and was able to set sag higher with preload without loss of bottom travel to avoid pedaling clearance problems. (I've been used to a BB on the Tracer that's 1/2 inch higher (13.5 at top out) and less sag and less travel.)

I imagine average and lighter riders will gain full travel use with the RP23. I'm curious if any of the heavier 200 and over riders had my 3/4 travel use with the RP23.

mtbr member
    I just ran down and checked the o-ring on mine after my ride this morning. The ride was fairly tame, quite rocky and technical, but no big G-outs or drops. Travel on the O-ring is 1 7/8" inches. I set it up with 15mm sag. I have to say, mine feels better than any air shock I've ridden. I've tried all of them over the years, Fox Alps 4 and 5, Risse Astro, SID, Float, Float R, Float RC (x3), Cane Creek Cloud 9, and now the RP23. The Cloud 9 is a great shock and super reliable, but the RP23 has the edge in smoothness of stroke and responsiveness. I hope it remains reliable.

I wouldn't consider the RP23 as a "super plush" coil-like shock, but it does respond quickly to trail input without wallowing deep into its travel. It is personal preference, but this is how I prefer it. Coils have never felt right for me, far too active, keeping in mind I'm an XC/All mountain kinda guy.

Trail Rider

AVA Sleeve

I wonder if a AVA sleeve would work or is available? It worked on my Tracer. I'm at 180 lb. and could never get full travel. I now get the full travel at the right sag. I measured my travel on my Tracer and get just over the claimed travel. I'm still about 1/8 in. short on shock travel o ring measurement, but before I was just under 4 in. of travel without bottoming out on the big hits.

I wonder if a Float would work better on the Mojo? I think Iron Horse went to the Float this year.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I wonder if a AVA sleeve would work or is available? It worked on my Tracer. I'm at 180 lb. and could never get full travel. I now get the full travel at the right sag. I measured my travel on my Tracer and get just over the claimed travel. I'm still about 1/8 in. short on shock travel o ring measurement, but before I was just under 4 in. of travel without bottoming out on the big hits.

I wonder if a Float would work better on the Mojo? I think Iron Horse went to the Float this year.
    From a marketing and sales perspective I can see why Ibis spec'd the RP23. Looking at the Fox rear shocks option on their site, I could happily have the R or RP2; the DW Link does not need any platform, but sometimes I like to have a near-lockout for those crazy short road rides to the trail. That's when I flip it to the #3 on the ProPedal. Of course magazines and some riders would knock the top o' the line Mojo frame if it had a second-tier rear shock. It'd be like putting a lesser grade of leather in a new Mercedes S Class, I guess.

www.derbyrims.com
    The older Floats had less low and medium speed compression damping, but advantages of more medium speed compression damping is it hides or blends with stiction better, and makes the spring action more linear in compression rate, and reduces needing excessive rebound for stability (not an issue with dw-Link) and resulting firming pack down at lower speeds.

Fox customer support says they don't sell the AVA sleeve anymore. The DHX sleeve is larger volume than the RP and available from Fox directly.