mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your fork of choice for the Mojo

I have a Pike 454 air uturn with Maxle, but the light weight and good reports of the 140rlc Float is attractive even without the travel adjust or Maxle.

What fork did you choose and why? I see some have 130mm Rock Shox with no travel adjust and remote lockout.

Some have the 07 Float 140rlc.

Before I got the Maxle I had a few hardcore hucksters tell me it's only "necessary" if you're doing big jumps, weigh over 180 and/or ride through a lot of rocks and roots. I'm none of the aforementioned but still got it just to have the Maxle so not having it is no big deal (and my friends with car racks would like not dealing with the hassle, ha).

With the Mojo I find myself not even bothering with the travel adjust as much so I may be able to give it up; maybe it's the 12 inconvenient cranks to go from 140 to 110, and back, that is getting old. No need for travel adjust + no real need for maxle + ex weight weenie = the 07 float 140rlc!

I've also been burned by Fox in the past. Leaky seals, adjustments that didn't work, inertia valves in the F100X just up and quitting, and the cost was crazy high. But now I can find the 07 140 float rlc for about the same as the pike 454 air uturn. Did I mention the light weight is nice??

Would you get the same fork again?
    Should I just eat the weight difference and keep the Maxled Pike?

mtbr member
    I chose the Revelation, 130m, no uturn, with Pop-loc. On my Rocky Mountain, I have a u-turn Reba. I never use the U-turn. I'd rather just ride. Changing the length of the fork changes the geometry of the bike and the feel of the front end. I prefer to get used to one setting, tune it and ride it. That way I always know what my front end is going to do and how hard I can stuff it into corners etc. The 130mm Rev on the Mojo feel great. The 130mm seems very balanced with the rear end. Since I haven't tried a 140mm fork on the Mojo I can't compare apples to apples, but suffice it to say that the steering geometry impressed the heck out of me and I'm sure that the fork length had something to do with it.
    I have a real dislike for Fox and their overpriced mandatory services, and would boycot their products if I could. I'm giving the Float RP23 a chance to change my mind, but if it need factory service after 2-3 months like my 3 other floats, it will get replaced with a cane creek Cloud 9. Anyways, back to the fork. The revalation feels great, has nice fluid travel, is stiff enough for my 200+ pounds. I like it. The Pop-loc works well and matches the feel of the propedal in #2. Flick them both on and climb away, or use this setting on the road ride to the trail head. Once there, I go fully active. I can't be bothered with through axels, I like the QR and my bike racks are all compatible.

mtbr member
    Pike 454 air (no uturn) all the way! The Maxle is awesome, the no uturn is light & the a/c height of the Pike should be perfect on the Mojo.
    Last edited by hrdude; 10-26-2006 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude
    Pike 454 air (no uturn) all the way! The Maxle is awesome, the no uturn is light & the a/c height of the Pike should be perfect on the Mojo.
    Decided to keep the 454 air uturn after today's ride. Lots of super steep, tip of seat in your bunghole granny gear stuff that just went and went. I left it at 140mm and climbing suffered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Fox Float X TT 130

I'm going to try out the X-TT 130 - if it doesn't work perfectly I'll go to Float RLC 130. Here in SW NH it's constant technical roots, rocks and trees - I crave lockout while climbing but the idea of not having to take my hands off to lock and unlock is just too appealing not to try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. 130 or 140 mm travel for small Mojo I can't decide

I decided on Fox Float 140 RLC
    Last edited by rshalit; 11-23-2006 at 08:34 AM. Reason: old

flow where ever you go

I can help with confusion....

Quote Originally Posted by rshalit
    I'm so confused as to which shock to get. ............

Will climbing be that much easier with 130?

Will 140 be too long in the corners?

thanks
    Ibis actually says that the bike was designed at 140mm but both 130mm and 150mm work well. I went with a 150mm fork on a small frame. Feels totally natural and great. No trouble with cornering. This Pace Fighter fork has lockout that reduces travel about 50mm and leaves 90mm active (EDIT: it is the other way around, travel is reduced up to 90mm and ~50mm is left active), so climbing is not harmed either. I just finished the bike and it's raining, so only have initial impressions and won't have a stronger feeling for the fork until after a few long rides. Until then....

How's that for help with confusion...

I know: Not. Just all I got for now.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 11-15-2006 at 04:43 PM.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    In response to the U-turn changing the bikes geometry, and preferring being able to just get used to one position, I agree for trail riding. Where the U-turn comes in handy is any long fire road climb, yes dropping the fork travel changes the geometry, it makes it better for climbing, seat angle too. So the U-turn can have it's place depending on the riding you do. But anytime I'm on a trail, I don't even bother with it, and I still make it up any tight singletrack climbs.
    d
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit
    I'm so confused as to which shock to get. I was thinking I'd try the 130 mm Float X TrailTune just to see if it was really what I want it to be. This fork doesn't come in 140 mm. Now Ibis is saying the frame is designed for 140 mm travel fork (but originally designed for 130 mm.)

I weigh about 153 lbs and just received my Small Mojo frame (waiting on '07 XTR parts - how long will I wait??)

Anyway, what difference will I notice if I put a Float 140 RLC vs a 130 ?? I want to keep it light.

The riding here is very, very technical -- years of singletrack with granite rocks up and down, roots, (leaves too, now.) Many 6" - 20" drops, etc.

Will climbing be that much easier with 130?

Will 140 be too long in the corners?

thanks
    I have had bad experience with X series of forks. To me it was similar to riding with a brake that enguaged in a different place everytime I rode it. It was inconsistant and brought my confidence level down. Automated suspension is like automated gears, it works for some, but you won't get the plush performance of a standard shock. I will also add that they have redeveloped the 2007 version so it may be better and more adjustable than the previous versions.

You can run up to 160mm on the Mojo so deciding between 130 and 140 isn't enough headangle change to get a drastic reduction in head angle. They say you slack the headangle about a 1/2 degree for every 1" of travel. So your talking about less than 1/5 degree in angle change.
    -----------------------
    The world's only compatible bike builder
    [SIZE=3]wrenchscience[/SIZE]

flow where ever you go
    After MANY good rides on the PACE RC41 Fighter 150mm fork, I am blown away.
    1. It is extremely easy to set up.
    2. It is very very plush.
    3. It uses every bit of it's travel. I know this for sure after diving / falling off a bridge and landing front wheel first. I thought I would be ejected over the bars because of how severe the nosedive was. I could feel the suspension carefully and solidly absorb the impact. By the time the travel was used up, the rear of the bike was coming to the ground instead of over the top as I expected. The o-ring for measuring travel was topped out and all was in good shape.
    4. The lockdown improves the steeps and turns itself off when full travel is needed. I have tried some steep climbs where my Blur LT would get light in the front end if I did not reduce travel or really weight the front myself. With the Mojo, these same steeps cause only a little bit of lightness and NO wandering of the front wheel, even with the 150mm fork. However, this fork's "lockout' with "launch control" does improve even this. What Pace calls lockout is really "lock-down" (up to 90mm reduced travel) with active reserve travel (of at least 50mm) and the launch control is a speed-bump sensitive release for the lock down. On those same climbs where the front gets a bit light, I have repeated the climb with the fork locked-down (shortened fork / reduced travel) and the rear digs in like mad while the front remains glued down. This combination allows a greater range of effective climbing speed, cadence, and riding posture. I also expect that it will greatly enhance climbing muddy hills because this is where I noticed the greatest climbing improvements of a shortened fork on the Blur.
    5. The fork is as stiff (extremely) and tracks as well (excellently) as the Mojo frame and rear end whether going slow, fast, steep up, steep down, through rocks and ruts, or jumping.

So far, the best fork I've ever ridden. Comparing mostly to Minutes and Pikes. It is lighter than a Minute yet has the plushness, strength, thru-axle, and adjustability of a Pike, plus more travel. I hope it holds up.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 11-23-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Grams Light Bikes
    I have had my Mojo with the Fox Float RL140 for over 3 months and love the shock. Never have had any issues with it. I can say I really like the simple RL140, only have the rebound and pressure to play/deal with. I have never liked playing with lots of multiple settings on a shock and I do not see the need for adjustable travel settings. I did have leaking issues with a F100X on another bike, it got much better with after market seals. I can't say whether 130 or 150 would be better or worse, but 140 feels just about right.