mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your cable routing choice?

Everyone doing the crossover on the toptube? Rear shifter housing goes around the left side of headtube, inserts into cable stop and then crosses over the front cable?

How's the hydro line handling it? Any increased friction for shift cables from rubbing the hydro line?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    Everyone doing the crossover on the toptube? Rear shifter housing goes around the left side of headtube, inserts into cable stop and then crosses over the front cable?

How's the hydro line handling it? Any increased friction for shift cables from rubbing the hydro line?
    Nope, I followed the suggestion in the owners manual, which says to cross the cables BEFORE you insert into the stops. Rear cable housing swings around the left side of the stem, then inserts into the right cable stop. Front housing does the opposite. Therefore your cables do not cross between the stops (over or under the hydro line). It worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    Nope, I followed the suggestion in the owners manual, which says to cross the cables BEFORE you insert into the stops. Rear cable housing swings around the left side of the stem, then inserts into the right cable stop. Front housing does the opposite. Therefore your cables do not cross between the stops (over or under the hydro line). It worked well for me.
    Unbelievable. I screwed that up. Guess it helps to RTFM (read the f'in manual). Now it's simple and clean.

Unfit Norwegian
    Have you got a pic of this cable routing. Sounds strange. Does it really help minimize the cable housing wear on the headtube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    Have you got a pic of this cable routing. Sounds strange. Does it really help minimize the cable housing wear on the headtube?

Here you go. Yes it does work. As you turn the bars, the housing flexes away from the headtube/headset, instead of rubbing the finish off your headset or carbon headtube.

That square patch is a carbon stick on patch I put under the housing where it crosses so I don't rub through the finish of the toptube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MJ51; 10-24-2006 at 07:25 AM.

Unfit Norwegian
    Thanks. So, the point of this is to avoid that the cable housing rubs on the top edge of the head tube, or what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here you go. Yes it does work. As you turn the bars, the housing flexes away from the headtube/headset, instead of rubbing the finish off your headset or carbon headtube.

That square patch is a carbon stick on patch I put under the housing where it crosses so I don't rub through the finish of the toptube.
    I have a bit less housing and mine comes in a lot closer. I put protective adhesive at the top edge of the headtube just in case.

I may put longer housing on just to get it to bow out a tiny bit more. Thanks for the photo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    Thanks. So, the point of this is to avoid that the cable housing rubs on the top edge of the head tube, or what?
    Yes, and also creates a less extreme bend in the housing. Less bend=less friction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Oooooh I'm misunderstanding - wouldn't that read/build as looping the rear shifter round the LHS of the headtube (as you're sitting on the bike looking fwd) and then crossover after that first 'clamp' positon ? - and consequently ditto with the front shifter (from the LH bar) looping in front of the headtube and passing along the RHS,

(like the way spesh do theirs underneath the downtube)

too much Xmas red wine tonite and deciding with my similarly elderly LeMans car racing mate which colours to go for to get our Mojo back.

I love this site....

flow where ever you go

I think you describe it correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldgate
    Oooooh I'm misunderstanding - wouldn't that read/build as looping the rear shifter round the LHS of the headtube (as you're sitting on the bike looking fwd) and then crossover after that first 'clamp' positon ? - and consequently ditto with the front shifter (from the LH bar) looping in front of the headtube and passing along the RHS,

(like the way spesh do theirs underneath the downtube)

too much Xmas red wine tonite and deciding with my similarly elderly LeMans car racing mate which colours to go for to get our Mojo back.

I love this site....
    I'm not sure what you think you misunderstand. Here is a view from the front when routed as pictured above. Maybe that helps?
    IMG_4178.JPG

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    was referencing vs MJ51's lovely pics - my standard build is to route round the other way (compared to that picture) - usually because it seems to make the angle of the cabling too sudden and building in a bit more of a loop in front of the headtube resolves major rubbing issues

...but I may well be missing the point, in the nicest sense of the phrase - will trog through the pictures of bikes now.