mtbr member

For you Fox 36 users...

I am debating between a Vanilla (less expensive and I like the coil) and Talas ( can switch travel amounts) and was wondering if any of you feel you need the ability to switch from 160 back to 130mm of travel for climbing. I realize it will help, but is it worth the extra $200? The riding I do is typical new england riding-short but steep uphills and downhills with lots of rocks and roots. Thanks!

holding back the darkness
    I haven't ridden the Fox offerings, but coming from a similarly adjustable fork and Front Range Colorado. I can tell you that I rarely use the travel adjustment.. mostly because by the time I get to the top of the climb I'm too hypoxic to remember to flip the switch the other way and end up getting my @ss kicked on the way down.
    **** censorship

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    The difference between the 36 and the Vanilla is about double the cost, not $200. From a Float Talas, the lowest Van 36 would be about $200 if that's what you were referring to. Do you already have a TA wheelset? Do you already have the Mojo or are you looking to buy the whole bike? If so, the Van 36 would be a better deal since you're buying the bike fully built.

I ride with 2 other guys that have Mojos. One insists on lowering the fork (but by his own admission, sucks a$$ on the climbs ) My other buddy never touches it. I can't do it since I have the Vanilla. IMO, travel adjust is a waste of coin for 140 forks. I can see lowering the 36 though but then you would need the Talas 36 which is mucho dinero.

mtbr member

I have a mojo and am getting a new wheelset...

As far as the price I was going off of pricing I found through online retailers and ebay. In general I could find '08 36 Talas' for around $900-$1000 and '08 36 vanilla for $800. Another option would be to get a used '07 vanilla. It's heavier but $500-$600. I have a 140RLC now I am going to sell and don't use the compression or lockout so I could get away with a R designation on a new fork. I am looking for a Havoc or Hope/DT 5.1 wheelset as well. I am not too heavy (around 170) but ride aggressive rocky terrain and would prefer a slacker head angle. I figure the extra rigidity and 20mm in front travel would be an improvement for me.

I am glad to hear one of your friends keeps it at full travel all the time. Is his a 140 or 160?I am sure that my fork would stay in the 160mm range most of the time, I just don't want to buy a new 160mm fork and end up wishing it had adjustable travel for the climbs. I run a short stem so my fornt wheel lifting could be a problem....

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    As far as the price I was going off of pricing I found through online retailers and ebay. In general I could find '08 36 Talas' for around $900-$1000 and '08 36 vanilla for $800. Another option would be to get a used '07 vanilla. It's heavier but $500-$600. I have a 140RLC now I am going to sell and don't use the compression or lockout so I could get away with a R designation on a new fork. I am looking for a Havoc or Hope/DT 5.1 wheelset as well. I am not too heavy (around 170) but ride aggressive rocky terrain and would prefer a slacker head angle. I figure the extra rigidity and 20mm in front travel would be an improvement for me.

I am glad to hear one of your friends keeps it at full travel all the time. Is his a 140 or 160?I am sure that my fork would stay in the 160mm range most of the time, I just don't want to buy a new 160mm fork and end up wishing it had adjustable travel for the climbs. I run a short stem so my fornt wheel lifting could be a problem....
    Oh my mistake....I misunderstood what you were asking. You were either looking at the VAn 36 or the Talas 36 the whole time. When I had mentioned that my friend rides a Talas, it's the Float Talas so he doesn't lower it at all but it's only a 140. That is why I said that I could see lowering a 160 as a benefit but not 140 forks. My bad. My friend that does lower his fork rides a Zoke AM 150 which is pretty tall. He rides a 60 degree Hope stem with a 25 degree rise so his bike is very upright. However, I climb fine on his bike (I rode it a few times before buying my Mojo). He suffers much more so on the climbs so I can see having a travel adjustment on 150+ forks as a good upgrade. It's just such a huge added cost to buy aftermarket 36's plus the wheelset!

I was interested in slacking out my front end a tad as well but not for the cost of getting a 36. Chris King makes different height crown races that would slacken out the geo for a nominal cost BUT of course, we can't have CK headsets I'm thinking that the crown race would work though. Looking at them, they don't look too dissimiliar.

mtbr member

Yeah it's $$

Thanks for the info. It's a big $ upgrade, and my bike accidentally came with Havocs and I had the shop replace them with XC One's! When I got the bike I didn't realize how my riding style was going to change.....I am thinking stiffer and more travel is better though for the techy stuff and worth the money. Also, I bottom out more than I would like. A replacement for my rp23 will be in the near future....

Selling my wheels and fork will help make a dent, and I have a steel mojo with lots of new xtr parts that I will be selling too. I don't race anymore and haven't ridden it once since my new mojo arrived.

I asked cane creek if there was anything on the market that would work like enduro's headset extender for there internal headset and they said they didn't know of anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

08 Fox 36 Talas RC2

ecibis, I would highly recommend that you consider the 36 talas. I love to climb steep technical terrain, I'll adjust to fork to 100mm and clear the tuffest of climbs. Just for fun I tried climbing a couple of tuff section with the fork at 160mm and there is no way I could ever clear it, if I did clear it I used up a lot more energy just trying to stay up and over the bars. At 160mm the Mojo feels pretty steep in the front. The only way I would consider a 160mm non-adjustable fork is if I did noting but shuttle my way to the top. Like that famous saying goes, "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

boba
    Dec 2007

fox 36 talas

I had only two long rides on the new Ibis, but already I can see the advantage of the fox 36 talas. On a long steep climb, I dropped it to 130 and it was very comfortable. As well, it worked well at 130, while on my old bike, my old 06' Z1 Marzocchi with eta did reduce the travel but did not work very well as was harsh over rocks.

At 160mm, the front end of the Ibis felt a little light on the steepest part of the climb. I have a 70mm 20 degree stem with Easton 40mm rise downhill bar. Going down the fork just performed. If you do not mind spending a bit of coin..go for it.

However if you do not have much climbing, particularly steep, longer climbs, it might be a waste of money. Nice to have though.

Ariolimax columbianus
    after dropping that much on the frame what's an extra hundred for an upgrade? I've run a Lyrik coil and a Pike 454 on my Mojo. On the Lyrik I liked the adjustability for changing terrain but it was a boat anchor. I'm runnin the Pike right now and still drop it for extended/steep technical climbs. For the steep downs I like the 160 up front, having adjustability just makes the bike more diverse and suits my riding style better. 140mm is pretty spot on (for me) for all-around, but there are just times when I wanna go lower/higher.

I like the Talas 160, a few of my friends run 'em on other frames (5 spot, Heckler), I just wish it was a little lighter (Fox please for 2009!). I'm sure the next upgrade my Mojo will get is a new fork but I'm waiting for a 4.5 lbs 110-160mm adjustable fork. BTW does anyone know if the zoke 55ATA weighs that much? I ride mainly in Santa Cruz, CA, a place where the Mojo was probably conceived, most people run 140mm forks on 'em but I've seen some runnin 160mm Talas'. You could probably climb most stuff @ 160mm but you would just have to adjust your body which may be uncomfortable (for some) to balance out the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    55ata apparently weighs between 5.0-5.1lbs actual weight with uncut steerer.

Any mojo riders with the 55ATA?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The new DT swiss fork may be the answer ??
    Check out the DT Swiss EXC 150 TA http://www.pace-racing.co.uk/product...D=2&subcat=489
    This is reputed to be the lightest 150mm bolt through fork available at 1695gms. It has launch control meaning the travel can be wound down, but releases on a hit when descending . I understand the fork will be a stiffer lighte rversion of the 2007 PACE 150mm fighter ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What is the weight of a Mojo SL with a 36 Talas?

I'm still debating the fork for my eagily awaited Mojo SL. I'm considering the Talas 36 over the Fox 32 Float to get a bit more travel and a lot more stiffness , but the extra 1 1/2 lb in weight puts me off. Has anyone put the 36 Talas on the SL yet ?? If so what sort of weight is the built up bike coming in at ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

27 LBS All Mountain build

My build:

2008 Mojo SL (M) with DHX 5.0
    2008 Fox 36 Talas RC2
    Formula Puro brakes 180/160
    Mavic 819 w/Chris King Hubs
    easton ec90 carbon seat post
    easton ec70 low rise carbon handle bars
    Fizzik Aliente saddle
    XTR everything else including Carbon Shadow R/D