_____
    Jul 2007

XXL HD? Any chance?

Who would be interested in an XXL HD with a top tube 20mm longer than the current HD? I am 6'4.5 and I am too tall to run a stem shorter than 90mm. I'd like to run 70mm or shorter but this is not possible with my lanky build. Is there a market for such a bike? Hans, Scott, what are your thoughts?

After two years of trying diferent bars, stems and seat positions here is where my current configuration:

90mm 0 rise stem
    780mm 30mm rise bars
    20mm spacer
    Seat position 10mm behind center

I have a 36" inseam and my bars are 2 inches below my seat with this set up. I would love to go with a shorter stem but I get back aches with anything smaller.

mtbr member
    It would be nice if Ibis did a 'true' XL in the HD, the 24.6 TT is pretty short by todays standards, especially with the trend towards shorter stems

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good luck.
    I had an email exchange with Hans last week and a conversation with a Turner staffer abbout this very thing this week.
    I am fairly certain I want to move to a new DW platform. I am a Turner homer but the Ibis is enticing.

Hans told me (I don't think I am giving out any exclusives here) that XL size is only like 8% of sales on the HD. So splitting that size by adding a longer TT on a 2XL would not justify the tooling needed to do it.

Turner has a 2XL but never made any for 2012 since they had no orders so they never produced any.

I am Jonesing for a DW in XL (standover 32/33" with a TT (25.5"+) like the new SB66 Yeti. Who is gonna make us one?

mtbr member
    It is kinda weird that so few DW link companys don't do longer TT's, Pivots are short too. I'm testing out one of the new Banshee Prime 29ers in an XL (25.4 TT) and in our test group it is remarkable how many guys are riding XLs, probably 20% of the test riders. I personally ride with 5 (6'4" and taller guys) who all ride XL 25" plus TT bikes, except for the one who is on an XL Mojo HD and he hates it. Some small companies (like Banshee & Knolly) are doing longer TT bikes and they are selling out of them. I also see Santa Cruz has finally stretched out their TT's too.
    Last edited by MartinS; 06-16-2012 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would have been all over an XXL, but if XL is only 8% of sales then I guess I should be glad they even had that! Intense doesn't make an XL Carbine, apparently due to tooling cost.

_____
    Jul 2007
    With the trend towards shorter stems and the HD's already short top tube (compared to say a specialized enduro), I was hoping that there might be more demand for an XXL HD. I should probably be on some hideously ugly 29er that would fit me better, but I would have no passion to ride such a bike. There is something about the design of the HD that makes me want to ride it, even if it is small. This might sound corny, but there are mountain bikes and then there is the HD.