Thread: XX1 Pictures

mtbr member

XX1 Pictures

Here it is in all its glory. BTW my bike is famous now. Pics ended up on Pbike in the Fontana Race 2 writeup this week.

Quite a break-in ride as you can see from the pictures. We don't get a lot of mud in Socal, but Fontana was a mess during race day practice. Despite going directly from the workstand to the races it was flawless.

Setup is the 156Q cranks and a 38T up front.
    Last edited by Salespunk; 01-31-2013 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you feel the 156Q factor is wide enough?

Dropshot Champ!
    How many times did you reach down for the bottle?

Stay hydrated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks like a stellar ad for Camelback!

Slick setup. What wheelset?

mtbr member
    I am fine with the 156Q, no issues at all. I spoke with Ibis and it is their preferred setup.

As for the waterbottle, I was racing SuperD and wanted some water after the climb to the top. Just unscrewed the cap and drank it while waiting for my start time.

Rear wheel is a DT 350 on an 819 until Easton releases their XX1 freehub for my Havens. I am rubbing in the 10T right now and need to space it out. I have heard there are no issues with the 240's

mtbr member
    no issues with chain drop without even a top guide? pretty cool if the tooth profile works that well, too bad the chainrings are a weird bcd. 38T with no bash seems optimistic. also move your reverb remote to the left side under the bar, much more ergo. sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Couple things -

Nice bike and XX1 set up.

BRUTAL water bottle placement. Mud on your bottle is annoying but if you ride on trails shared with animals... get a hydration pack.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

As for the waterbottle, I was racing SuperD and wanted some water after the climb to the top. Just unscrewed the cap and drank it while waiting for my start time.

I'm just surprised it stayed there, thats awesome! For superD's I toss a mini bottle in my rear jersey pocket and get heckled like mad. Figured I would pay it forward.

bike looks awesome as always.

mtbr member
    Have to love the Whiskey carbon cage. I have only lost one bottle in the last 7 months and that was on the Palm Canyon trail. I have a Camelback, but don't like to wear it for races because I don't like the weight. Here is an example of the trails I ride to show how well the cage works

No chain drop or any noise at all. I am amazed at how quiet and tight this system is and I am coming off of XTR 980 with the clutch.

Thanks for the props on the bike! I will get some clean pictures up soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How does your chain not come off. I used my sl once with no chain guide and the chain dropped off on damned near every trail I rode.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie82 View Post
    How does your chain not come off. I used my sl once with no chain guide and the chain dropped off on damned near every trail I rode.
    I haven't received the XX1 group I ordered yet but it sounds like the chainring teeth are very tall and "slightly hooked" to alleviate the need for a chainguide in all but most extreme situations....

SRAM XX1 – First Ride Review - BikeRadar

Relevant portion of review...

Clever tooth profiling

More than a few editors on site were concerned about the lack of a chain guide on our test bikes, especially considering the 11-speed cassette's broader range of chain angles compared to a standard 10-speed setup.

Nevertheless, none of us had any chain retention issues, and it's hard to derail the chain up front manually given the tall, slightly hooked and alternatingly indexed 'X-Sync' chainring tooth profiles that hold onto the new PC-XX1 chain with impressive tenacity.

In fact, a separate test crew from another publication rode their similarly guide-free XX1-equipped bikes down Whistler's far more demanding Top of the World trail and had no issues to the point where one editor insisted that SRAM had embedded high-power magnets into the CNC-machined aluminum chainring (alas, there are none).

That being said, SRAM still admits that a guide might be necessary in more extreme conditions. For example, while sponsored rider Jerome Clementz showed up to join our ride sans guide, he used one to win the Crankworx Enduro a few days earlier.

mtbr member
    The teeth alternate between narrow and wide. SRAM used high speed cameras to watch how the chain derails. What they found was the chain was walking up the chainring on the wide links. Combined with the type two derailer it is the quietest system I have ever run.

mtbr member
    Why did they call it XX1?

XX makes sence because in roman numerals that means 20
    XX1 whould be 21
    X1 whould be 11

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
    Why did they call it XX1?

XX makes sence because in roman numerals that means 20
    XX1 whould be 21
    X1 whould be 11
    XX was is the top tier group set in Srams line up.

This is a 1 front ring drive system, so XX1 seems pretty straight forward

mtbr member
    Should've been X1 (they even call it a 1X drivetrain). XX is a 2x10 drivetrain hence the two X's. Would have made much more sense for it to be X1, but I'm sure some idiot in the marketing office figured they could get more play from XX1... HAHAHA

Mtb Guide
    Its just a name, all I know is my XX1 is amazing confinues to just perform, ride bike and dont worry about anything else