mtbr member
    Nov 2010

XX1 Crank Too Close to DS Chainstay

Anyone else experience this? I am wondering if I am totally missing something. I installed the Sram Pressfit 92 BB per instructions (minus the spacer as they indicate). When I push hard on NDS pedal, the frame flexes enough for the inside of the DS crank to rub the carbon leather on the DS chain stay. I am baffled. TIA

mtbr member
    Is this happening while riding or only in the stand? My cranks are close on my HD, but do not touch in regular riding. I am sure I could push it over in the stand though. Also are the cranks equal distance from the CS on both sides? If not you may be missing a washer on one side.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I experienced this issue as well with the Q156 X01 crank spec'd by Ibis on their website. It was so close without tightening it down much any flex and the frame's not going to be happy. This was on a Small Ripley. I ended up going with the wider crank.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks. Yes, mine is a 156 Q Factor. It's an XL and I am 190 lbs. Doesn't take much effort at all and it hits. Ibis is being awesome as usual and we will work it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My XL Ripley with 156 Q XX1 cranks fits, but it's pretty tight. I have attached a few pictures for your reference. I'm 6'4" and about 190 lbs. I race Cat 1, so I can ride pretty hard. I haven't had any issues with cranks hitting any part of the frame. I am able to flex the crank arm into the chainstay in the stand by pushing on the end with my arm, but like I said - no issues riding it.

XX1 Crank Too Close to DS Chainstay-img_20131104_165742.jpg
    XX1 Crank Too Close to DS Chainstay-img_20131104_165813.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for your time putting up a reply. Mine is out of whack but Ibis is taking care it. They are always awesome. I have and SL-R, a Mojo HD 160 and now a Ripley. They are all incredible bikes. Only issue I have is which one to ride... a good problem!

Thanks again!

Lightly salted
    I read about the clearance issues some were having before I built up my HDR and Ripley so I went with 168Q factor xx1 cranks on both. I had ran xtr triple cranks as 1x on both frames while I waited for xx1 cranks. The 168Q factor xx1 seem to have around the same clearance my old xtr cranks had. There is around 10.25mm clearance on both side on both frames with xx1 168Q. Here's a picture for reference of my hdr and ripley with 168Q. I wonder why the narrow q factor is recommended over the wider version? Seems the 154Q's are very tight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks fuenstock. Mine is about 2.5mm w 156q. My HD 160 is fine as was my SL-R. Todd at Ibis is working with me and they are taking care if it. Fantastic service as usual. Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Likewise: my Repley with 156q are about 2.5mm and don't ever contact.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ibis took care of the issue. They switched out my 156Q cranks for 168Q XX1 cranks and the problem is resolved. Once again, Ibis is awesome. I love all three of my Ibis bikes and the company stands behind them better than any big company can. Personal attention is something that ranks very high with me. Add to that the best frames money can buy and it's a big win win for me. Special thanks to Todd at Ibis.