Singletrack Addict!!!

XTR;s or Maguras MT6 on HD?

I'm a shimano disk brake fan, today sold my 2011 XT's, so now I'm on replacement mode. Something lighter but as good. Aesthetically don't dig XTR's, but man they are good. Have a new set of MT6 laying around, but so far I don't like the MT's feel and power against Shimanos offerings.

Which one would you go for and why?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    XTR 's are much better.
    I am a hope fan, so I have been using those and they are better than all of them, but not the lightest brake in the world, but they are the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    sounds like you already answered your own question - I have not tried the new MT series brakes, but absolutely love the older Magura Martha SL on my mojo and now HD bike - they are pricey and not the best looking ones these days but I really dig the very long lever and ton of power for such a light package. I use them for park bike and DH (had bought a pair of magura louise for a dedicated DH bike which I then sold). Mind you I only tried 3 other brakes (hayes stroker trail which are junk, very short lever and not worth even $70, old hayes 9 brakes with not much power, and Formula RX which came on my HD and I could not quiet down and didn't like as much as the magura anyway...

For me the best combo has been the magura Martha SL and Shimano rotors (now ice tech). In the past bike I had bought some center lock Shimano (RT79) off ebay for cheap and the metal seemed softer as it was wearing off quicker than they do now and that stopping power was even more unreal (similar to BMW cars where the pads *and* rotor wear down evenly for better performance but at a cost as you have to replace the rotor every other one or so...).

Never tried the XT/XTR - the ice etch cooling fan intrigue me, but it seem the replacement pads would get expensive - one of the day at Whistler (with a very long downhill fire road ride) I smoked my rear brake that wasn't using magura pads but some off brand (front was mag pad). Learned to only use the good stuff after that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm really digging the new icetech-equipped XT brakes on my HD, wasn't crazy about the stock Formula RXO's (also couldn't quiet them down). I've never owned Magura's but my buddy had the MT6's on his SL for a couple of months and had nothing but problems with them, ended up swapping them out for Hopes. I imagine the XTR's are lighter and perhaps slightly more powerful than the XTs, in which case I'd say they're a winner...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Bike Addiction
    +1 on Hopes. Have a set of X2's and really like them. Have had Avids and ridden Shimano XT's a few rides. Hope may be a little expensive but work great. Quiet, good modulation and stopping power after bedding in. I actually like the look of Shimano better but love the hope feel.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    no time on the MT6's but i have owned two sets of the new XTR trail's, nothing but good things to say. plenty of power to stop my heft (260 lb, 203front rotor, 180 rear), and modulation is excellent. Only thing is I have heard great things about both the new XT ans SLX models in terms of performance, with an obvious weight penalty over the XTR's, but a fraction of the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i've got mt4 on my cannondale flash, they're not that nice realy, you have to over fill them to stop eccessive lever travel before they bite, the levers are rattly floppy feel cheap and they were no where near the quoted weight,
    i have hope race evo levers on m4 calipers on my jekyll and they are awesome, theyre nice and light, great feel, endless power (im 220lbs) im fine on 180/160 discs
    i have xtr on my chase 4x bike, theyre nice too but if i was buying again i'd have 3 sets of hope, the tech levers are a bit funky and heavy but the race levers rock

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    XTR Trail is great, love em!

mtbr member
    Can anyone compare the MT8 to the XTR?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

MT6 x XTR trail

I own front(7")and rear(6") MT6 ,I love way they modulation power and lightweight,it is so easy to bleed too but it is annoying how all bolts are so fragile another bad thing there isnīt any adjustments,go for XTR trail it can be heavy but it is so reliable with plenty of adjustments

Too Much Fun
    I ran MT6's for a while. The ergonomics never really worked for me, and the smaller bolts are super fragile. I like the weight and look, but overall didn't love the actual braking part, which is sort of the point right?

Sold them and went XTR and love them. Love the lever feel and stopping power.
    - -benja- -