Lightly salted

xtr m985 2x10 as single ring plus ibis guide on HD?

Im thinking of getting an xtr m985 2x10 crankset and using it as a single 30 tooth with the ibis mrp single guide on my HD. Has any one tried? Is there any fit issues with the ibis specific mrp single ring guide and the m985 2x10 crankset only using the small 30 tooth ring?

mtbr member
    I would just pick up an XTR m980 crankset 2x or 3x since it uses the common 64/104 BCD (XTR M985's use a 88mm BCD). Sell the stock rings and pick up whatever single ring you want to run that is compatible with 64/104 BCD.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    I would just pick up an XTR m980 crankset 2x or 3x since it uses the common 64/104 BCD (XTR M985's use a 88mm BCD). Sell the stock rings and pick up whatever single ring you want to run that is compatible with 64/104 BCD.
    I actually already have the xtr m980 3x10 on my hd which im using as a 1x10 with a 32 front ring and the ibis hd specific mrp guide. I'm going to be moving that to another frame Im building. I'm wanting to get a 30 tooth single ring on the HD, but not sure it would work with the ibis hd specific mrp chain guide? I have a back injury thats aggevated by having to push a hard gear so Im looking to make things easier on my back with the 30 tooth chain ring. After having run 1x10 I don't want to go back to 2x10. If I can't get a 30 tooth chainring to work with the mrp ibis hd guide, my second choice will be a 30 tooth chain ring , no guide and a shadow plus rear der.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Fuenstock - was thinking exactly the same thing as you. 1x10 with a 32t on the front just doesn't quite cut it on teh steep climbs, and 2x10 adds over a 1lb in weight.
    Will watch with interest to see if anyone has done this, as seems a great set-up.

Wait for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Im thinking of getting an xtr m985 2x10 crankset and using it as a single 30 tooth with the ibis mrp single guide on my HD. Has any one tried? Is there any fit issues with the ibis specific mrp single ring guide and the m985 2x10 crankset only using the small 30 tooth ring?
    I am finishing up my HD build and am doing something just like this with mine. I got the xt 2x crank and removed both rings. I replaced the big ring with a 34t, put it on the inside of the big ring spider and use the chainring spacers that come with the Ibis MRP guide and your chainline should be right on.

mtbr member
    I converted my m980 2x10 on my Tranny to a 32 1x10 with an MRP 1x chain guide and got a shadow plus as well. It dropped a net .5 pounds. No dropped chains since!