mtbr member
    Feb 2012

xtr front mech for 2x10 on mojo hd help

hi everybody, i've ordered a mojo hd frame and i'm collecting bits so i can build it up when it arrives, i'm moving most of my bits over from my cannondale jekyll, i'll be getting a bos deville fork and i bought a king headset yesterday, the seatposts are the same size so my ks lev will move over no problem, so will my wheels and most of my drivetrain, i'm just stuck as to which front mech i can use
    i'll be using a double ring 38/26 chainset although i could really use a 24 granny ring, can anybody advise me if a 3 speed xtr fd-m981-d front mech will work if i set the adjuster screws, i've been looking for the answer for a few days now but no definitive answer, i dont mind going to an xt mech if there is no xtr one but would rather stick with shimano rather than going to sram
    thanks for your help
    ste

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    not sure if it makes any difference but i'll be running a 2x10 xtr race m980 chainset, shimano bumf says it has a standard Q factor not low profile

Bike Addiction
    Check the Ibis website for that info. I think its in the owners manual download.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I looked there first of all, but thanks for the suggestion, it says 2x10 shimano 38 26 not compatible, but the 3x10 ones are, I don't want to use sram I want an xtr one, but to work with my double chainset, will the 3x10 shimano xtr one work with the double chainset?

Bike Addiction
    I don't see why a 3 X 10 wouldn't work. But I'm just guessing. I'm sure someone will get the answer for you. Lots of help to be had here.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i've still not had any luck finding out if any of the xtr front mechs will work with a 38 26 double chainset, could realy use some help please

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stejekyll View Post
    i've still not had any luck finding out if any of the xtr front mechs will work with a 38 26 double chainset, could realy use some help please
    The 38/26 double crank uses the same arms as the 42/32/22 triple. You should have no issue using the triple f. der but you may need to adjust the cage higher than the standard 2mm gap above the teeth for the best shifting performance/least amount of rubbing on the cage.