mtbr member
    Jun 2010

XT Shadow Plus on Mojo

For those that already have an XTR Shadow Plus RD, you can skip to the next post. For those that haven't ridden a bike with a Plus [soon to be joined by the type-2 SRAM variants] rear derailleur, you will be stunned by how quiet the drivetrain is with one. There's still a wee bit of noise form the chain contacting the FD cage in certain gear combinations, but none of the normal racket from the chain banging and sawing the rear frame. Perhaps my bike is louder than most, since I run a double front [triple with bash] with a relatively small big ring [34 or 36T]. FYI, my drivetrain is: SLX double FD [XT 9-spd shifter], SRAM 1070 chain, XT 11-36 cassette, normally 22 ActionTec/36 Blackspire rings [21 and 34T for CTR] on a 9-spd triple SLX crank and now the XT Shadow Plus RD [XT shifter]. If you've been holding onto your 9-spd drivetrain like me, you now have a legitimate excuse to convert over to 10-spd.
    For almost two months, I did weekly calls to a couple of my favorite LBSs, in an effort to get an XT Shadow Plus ordered [in the USA] in time for the CTR. All I heard was, "not yet available." I resorted to ordering one from Merlin Cycles in the UK for $20 less than what it would have cost here. Even shipping across the pond was less than what it normally costs to ship from one state away.Total cost was less than $105 USD, about half of what the XTR version costs. SLX will probably be an even better bang for the buck, but I like the higher quality jockey pulleys on XT. One more FYI - XT Shadow Plus does NOT include the cool little built-inadjusting wrench that XTR does. You will have to carry your own tiny 5.5mm wrench to adjust [which I haven't had to do yet after about 150 miles of riding].

www.derbyrims.com
    The PLUS derailleurs should go a long towards eliminating chain suck and chain drop too.

Clyde
    Shadow plus sounds like a great upgrade. But still $$$ for chain, cassette, rear shifter, rear d, and either new chain rings or cranks.

is there a cheap way to get the S+? Perhaps just swap the 10sp pullies for 9sp on a shadow plus rear d.

LS
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySomer View Post
    Shadow plus sounds like a great upgrade. But still $$$ for chain, cassette, rear shifter, rear d, and either new chain rings or cranks.

is there a cheap way to get the S+? Perhaps just swap the 10sp pullies for 9sp on a shadow plus rear d.

LS
    You can skip the new chain rings / cranks..... inner chain width and chainring thickness are the same 9sp vs 10sp.... there's just a fraction of a mm different spacing.
    My hybrid 9sp front / 10sp rear setup is superb.
    ...still not a super cheap upgrade, but every little bit helps.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    You can skip the new chain rings / cranks..... inner chain width and chainring thickness are the same 9sp vs 10sp.... there's just a fraction of a mm different spacing.
    My hybrid 9sp front / 10sp rear setup is superb.
    ...still not a super cheap upgrade, but every little bit helps.
    This is good to know!
    Having to dump cash on a whole new drivetrain is enough to keep me from switching until I break my cranks in half or need a new rear der.
    It would be most awesome if the 10spr rear der could work on an existing 9spd setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Clyde
    I would think you are going to wear your drive train faster and if you mismatch your chain and chain rings you are begging for chain suck.

Chain rings are pretty cheap under 40 for small and middle if you are replacing everything else.

I would think my OP would work great. The 10sp rear would work with the 9sp shifter. The 10sp has a wider range travel. And pullies are available in many patterns in after market for around 30 or you could poach some off your current setup.

I'm thinking chain, cassette, chain rings and pully need to match.

LS

mtbr member
    I would think you are going to wear your drive train faster and if you mismatch your chain and chain rings you are begging for chain suck.
    Nope. Again, the interface between chain and ring is identical in 9 vs 10 sp..... same thickness of rings, same inside width to the chain. I ride 5-6 days a week in all conditions on technical trails.... I think maybe I've experienced chain suck once in the last few years and that was before the shadow plus derailleur. No difference in chain lifespan in my experience either, and there's no technical reason to expect there would be.

Chain rings are pretty cheap under 40 for small and middle if you are replacing everything else.
    True

I would think my OP would work great. The 10sp rear would work with the 9sp shifter.
    I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure this is not correct. It certainly did not work right when my nephew tried to mix 9 & 10 speed shifter/derailleur on the front end, and I think the cable pull rates are different in the rear 10sp vs 9sp. There's a pretty exhaustive thread in the drivetrain forum for anybody who's interested in more facts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great news........been waiting for a XT Shadow Plus since the XTR came out.

Clyde
    What a pain. Which drivetrain link? Did you see new DH bars come in 35mm. which is creating new 35mm stems. Heard the 35mm seatpost is around the corner. Scott is retiring it's 26 bikes in favor or 650b. Sorry about the rant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I know my original post is pretty long, but hiding in there is my mention that my crank is a 9-spd SLX, front shifter 9-spd SLX and front shifter is 9-spd SLX [double]. Still bucks to convert over to 10-spd, but you can use just about any 9-spd: FD, front shifter, crank, and chainrings. No way to cheat a 9-spd RD into a 10-spd. And if you want the 'Plus' clutch feature, you gotta go 10-spd. Planned product obsolescence sure is painful sometimes, but in this case you actually get something with 'Plus'...
    -B

LS

mtbr member

Clyde
    I was looking at cheating the 10sp shadow plus back to a 9sp. Thanks for the posts and link

LS