Mtb Guide

XFusion tops fork test list

I always take these tests with a grain of salt mostly because they're very subjective bit its some sort of reference.

X-Fusion Tops Competition in First Fork Test of 2013

MBUK TEST WINNERS

Best Overall: 2013 Vengeance HLR 160mm
    Best Value: 2013 Velvet RL2 140mm
    Most Wanted: BOS Deville

TEST RANKINGS

4 1/2 Stars
    X-Fusion Vengeance HLR
    X-Fusion Velvet RL2
    BOS Deville

4 Stars
    Fox 36 Float RC2 FIT
    Rockshox Revelation RCT3
    Rockshox Lyric RC2 DH
    Marzocchi 55 Micro TA
    Rockshox Sektor RL 150

3 1/2 Stars
    Magura TS8R 150
    Fox 32 Float CTD TA
    Fox 34 Float CTD TA 150
    Rockshox Domain RC
    SR Suntour RC2 TA

3 Stars
    White Brothers Loop

2 1/2 Stars
    Society Libertine

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Glad I installed one on my HD last night =)

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Glad I installed one on my HD last night =)
    Vengence, 2013 air?

mtbr member
    I have a Vengance, RC2DH and 36 in my garage right now. Plan on doing a little shootout of my own. I can tell you right now that the Fox and the Rockshox are not even in the same league. The RC2DH is a much nicer fork than the 36 in my opinion.

Mtb Guide
    Hey SP is your Vengeance coil or air?

Will look forward to your review

mtbr member
    meh looks biased. Mention of some special new superior lube making better "small bump compliancy" is enough to make me t-can that review.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    meh looks biased. Mention of some special new superior lube making better "small bump compliancy" is enough to make me t-can that review.
    Out of interest what are you running front? and rear? Yody.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm actually on the lookout for a Vengeance HLR for my HD. Anyone here have experience with the DLA model? Is the damper in it the same as the HLR? I can't find much in the way of reviews on the DLA and am wondering whether the travel adjust is worth it or if it's just an extra 1/3lb of stiction and reliability issues like the TALAS...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

aka dan51
    Just ordered a Vengeance HLR air for my HD to replace the 2012 Lyrik RC2DH coil, and a Vector HLR air to replace the Vector RC coil.
    Can't wait to see what the differences are, and lose 1.5lbs off the bike.

Mtb Guide

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Hey SP is your Vengeance coil or air?

Will look forward to your review
    It is a coil. The comparison won't be direct since my other two forks are air, but should still be interesting.

mtbr member
    Out of interest what are you running front? and rear? Yody.
    36 fox float kashima rlc fork
    Rockshox monarch plus shock

The xfusion stuff ia good. That article isnt

Mtb Guide

Sweet, I agree those tests never are good though, its just a ref for what its worth, cost is a major factor in they're results.

Its not very comprehensive!

mtbr member

I just bought a monarch plus tuned from Suspension Experts today, hope to get it next week. Very curious on how it reacts.
    I will be getting the new Vengeance when it comes out with the one piece crown. The CTD is very ordinary.

mtbr member
    Don't form an opinion until you have about 10 hours of ride time on it. I would run it wide open on every setting when you first install it and then slowly dial it in/slow it down from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Don't form an opinion until you have about 10 hours of ride time on it. I would run it wide open on every setting when you first install it and then slowly dial it in/slow it down from there.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I will do just that

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    there's initial impressions, then there's real world long term durability / customer support.
    I like what x-fusion is doing and eager to try their new slant...but I'm a died in the wool fox fan based on long term durability and support, as well as initial performance. RS?...once bitten, twice shy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Vengence, 2013 air?
    Yup. First ride today, it is rad. It is the fork the bike should have come with, without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'll have a real review of the Vengeance and Vector Air HLR by late next week. I'm super excited by both after tooling around today, though.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    I'll have a real review of the Vengeance and Vector Air HLR by late next week. I'm super excited by both after tooling around today, though.
    Awesome dude, post some piccs too, are they similary color coded/decals etc like Manu's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a 2013 fork and a 2012 shock as the 2013 shocks haven't reached the US yet, and they will be going up in price. The color coding is not stock. I'll post some pictures of the bike tomorrow.

aka dan51
    Tried ordering a Vengeance HLR, will be waiting until some time in late April to get one.
    All this good press is pushing their product out the door before it gets in.

I will be waiting patiently...

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    how in the ffff do you read the article with the new layout of mtbr... opening image in new tab doesn't even help
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Seems that finding a 2012 leftover Vengeance HLR is a tall order, and the 2013's are trickling into distributors very slowly. I have a line on both a coil and air-sprung HLR, both are new but the coil would cost me $100 less than the air. I've only ever ridden air forks but i'm considering the coil version given that the weight difference is only 0.2lbs (according to X-Fusion's website). I'm 210lbs ready to ride and typically ride technical rocky north-east xc trails (max 5-6' drops to tranny) with a few bike park days a year. Is there a particular reason I should stay away from coil?

***update - X-Fusion's website has conflicting weights for the HLR Air - is it 5.3lbs or 2254g (4.96lbs)? if it's the latter then we're talking about a 1/2lb difference between the coil & air versions, not the <1/4lb I thought earlier...
    Last edited by tdotrider; 03-14-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    how in the ffff do you read the article with the new layout of mtbr... opening image in new tab doesn't even help
    Have Xray vision

Could buy the mag?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just got my Vengeance HLR coil. it's 2400g or 5.3lbs straight out of the box.

Not yet try on trail but I can tell it's very smooth. Far better than float and talas FIT which have load of stiction. The compression damping is effective on every single click, unlike the lyrik. I am pleased so far and it's only $670!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    I am pleased so far and it's only $670!
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick it up for $670 (and is it a 2012 or 2013)? Also, what factored into your decision to go coil vs air? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of them just not sure yet which. Looks like coil will come in a bit cheaper but not enough to be a major factor...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    My kashima Float 36 Definitely does NOT have "load of stiction" Maybe your unservriced fork that you rode for a year without ever changing the bath fluid with the original seals was, but a properly maintained one should not have "loads of stiction"
    I'm not against your new fancy fork being awesome, just needed to point that out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think Xfusion is cheaper in Taiwan. The last column is MSRP in NT$
    X-Fusion Vengeance

When I say load of stiction on float and talas (I own them and tried many way to make them better), I am comparing with lyrik, revelation and vengeance that I have tried/owned.

The float is "OK" in term of stiction but still can't compare with others. Fox make good forks, RC2 is a good damper, but they don't excel in stiction department.

Only my personal experience based on rides on REAL trail, not paper mountain biking and no intention to start an argument

mtbr member
    Oh wow you ride REAL trail. OMFG Stop the press! (lol)......Even my Talas 36 (before I converted to float) felt very smooth when properly serviced. Most forks I have found feel pretty damn good with a decent set of seals and proper lubrication. The problem is when people have abused forks that have not been serviced or are running the rebound too slow (and or compression too firm) jumping on a brand new fork and getting all excited about the lack of stiction.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick it up for $670 (and is it a 2012 or 2013)? Also, what factored into your decision to go coil vs air? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of them just not sure yet which. Looks like coil will come in a bit cheaper but not enough to be a major factor...
    Tried the air version. It's very smooth. I would say it's on par with the lyrik, but the coil ver is even better. Someone likes a very plush ride and someone doesn't like that and add a lot of LSC to reduce brake dive. It's all personal preference and I think depending on the type of trails at your location.

I have tried many air forks and they share these

lack of mid stroke and ramp up quickly in last 1-2 inches
    stiction stiction stiction
    maintenance issue (my float has the oil migration issue that oil moves to the main chamber of the air spring)
    heat up when I point downhill. I keep adding rebound damping

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I appreciate the input. I've heard nothing but good about both the air & coil versions so I realize I cannot go wrong either way. I don't have any legit mountains where I am (southern Ontario) but do plan on hitting the bike park a few times this year and otherwise ride technical & tight rocky/rooty singletrack. Salespunk pointed out to me that I'm likely spending the majority of time at mid-travel so having a coil-sprung fork with its better mid-stroke support makes a good deal of sense. I'm also 210-215lbs geared up which I think is that point where coil starts to look more favourable...

At my weight would the stock spring in the HLR coil suffice?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It comes with 3 spring but you will need the extra firm spring which doesn't come with the box.

Too Much Fun
    My kashima Float 36 Definitely does NOT have "load of stiction" Maybe your unservriced fork that you rode for a year without ever changing the bath fluid with the original seals was, but a properly maintained one should not have "loads of stiction"
    That's me, been there. I used to be a "buy my way out of it" rider, until I realized that I had perfectly great parts that I've paid good $$$ for (Float 36 being one) and what I really needed to do was either pay the money to get them serviced or do the damn work myself. Suspension parts need service if you're actually riding them...
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I serviced my float few times by changing oil in the fork legs and lubricating the seals. I 've never touched the FIT damper though. I was told it's an isolated circuit that has a longer service interval. It improves a little bit but doesn't last long.

It was never smooth like the lyrik since day one. Maybe it's a bad copy? Have you guys compare with forks by other brands?

mtbr member
    The float migration issue is fixed by removing the foarm ring on the air spring piston.

Fox now uses seals made by SKF that have reduced stiction greatly

Changing the FIT damper fluid over time is a great idea but since it is sealed it doesn't degrade nearly as quickly and shouldn't affect stiction whatsoever. That is for the dampening.

Also the bigger the fork stanchion the more surface area there is, the more likely it will feel sticky if the seals and oil aren't good. The new skf seals make a big difference on the 40's and 36's and only a minor diff on the 32's.

Again, I'm sure the X Fusion stuff is excellent, just being realistic here.

Mtb Guide
    Show some piccs cheers!

Do we really need to get into a miss match between coil and air again, csc is just saying what he felt, we all know coil and air has advantages and disadvantages.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My talas is a 2012 150 RLC FIT kashima. I think it comes with the new seal but it has more stiction than the float 36 and much more than the lyrik (solo air) even I turn the LSC to minimum. I am at 145lbs and the pressure is only about 60psi. Maybe I need to send the fork to get a professional service?

again, it's just my personal experience but I don't think I am alone if you google or search in this forum. Try marzocchi (especially the RC3) and bos and you will know it can be better. Anyway, stiction isn't the only factor to rate a fork. More than 50% of riders here are using fox

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm not against your new fancy fork being awesome, just needed to point that out.
    I rode a Kash Fox 36 extensively on an HD and within 2 miles of dirt I knew the Vengeance HLR was a better all around fork. Further, I got the Vector Air HLR dialed-in for better rear tire climbing AND braking traction than the stock CTD shock in that same amount of distance. Both are hands down better than their Fox counter parts. If you aren't counting grams then make the switch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    ***update - X-Fusion's website has conflicting weights for the HLR Air - is it 5.3lbs or 2254g (4.96lbs)? if it's the latter then we're talking about a 1/2lb difference between the coil & air versions, not the <1/4lb I thought earlier...
    X-Fusion website still has conflicting weights for the Vengeance HLR Air:

2254g on the german version
    2404g on the english version.

Any real world weight of the 2013?

I saw some circa 2250g weights but were the older pre-2013.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How do their forks compare to a fox van 36?

KJL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    please revive this post

Im on a 2013 36 talas 160. definitely sticky as it passes the talas cartridge. early stroke is super sticky, high speeds it kills, but definitely sits lower in the travel on long descents, brake dive is terrible, and it wont recover from brake dive.

kinda figured the pike would be my only way to go, but I'm a more aggressive rider.

sending my 36 to push OR lyric/55/pike/veng? plus I gotta add a zero stack headset, my front wheel washes a good amount, but I think its cuz my 36 doesnt keep steady pressure all that great(imo rebound is funky) and yes i maintain regular service intervals, i clean the stanchions after ever ride and lube them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KJL View Post
    please revive this post

Im on a 2013 36 talas 160. definitely sticky as it passes the talas cartridge. early stroke is super sticky, high speeds it kills, but definitely sits lower in the travel on long descents, brake dive is terrible, and it wont recover from brake dive.

kinda figured the pike would be my only way to go, but I'm a more aggressive rider.

sending my 36 to push OR lyric/55/pike/veng? plus I gotta add a zero stack headset, my front wheel washes a good amount, but I think its cuz my 36 doesnt keep steady pressure all that great(imo rebound is funky) and yes i maintain regular service intervals, i clean the stanchions after ever ride and lube them.
    I have not ridden the new Pike, but I'm running the Vengeance HLR Air and it has been a fantastic fork. I don't have much to report that has not been either reported on tester reviews or forum posts. Basically, it feels exactly how a 36mm fork should and the tune-ability is great. I came from a Lyrik coil (that I loved) and the Lyrik has never been back on my bike. The best compliment I can give the fork is that it inspires confidence and allows me to push my descending capabilities. The only draw back and I have a hard time calling it that is the A2C is a bit greater than its competitors.

Mtb Guide
    Pretty much second what Makoto has said, dampening is so far ahead of anything Ive ridden from Fox.

A2C not an issue when reduced to 160 travel, in std 170mm then it will be quite a difference to a std 160mm 36 or Lyrik.

But then most of what Ive seen on this forum HDs or HDRs with 36 forks riders are usually wanting a slacker ride, adding angle sets etc so dont think thats an issue.

For me like Makoto indicated it provides such confidence that more travel or slacker HA imo just not required, the faster or harder you push the XFusion stuff the better it seems to perform pretty much opposite of most forks on the market eg smooth stickionless and rides high and composed and 20mm just provides that extra stability.

If you want a lighter platform or lower A2C then the Slant or Pike would be the way to go, I love the fork even though its probably overkill for most of my regular riding but I love the dampening so much Ill take that over the weight saving of a 34 any day.

Also the adjustments eg rebound knob, LSC HSC clicks make a big difference, dont adjust too much at once or too far, otherwise you can get out of wack pretty quick have a harsh ride and lose that std plush feel the Veng has.

I would love to try a Metric as well, just to give others an option defintley worth considering if you can get a hold of one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KJL View Post
    please revive this post

What rear shock are you running? I have learn
    ed the hard way that if your shock sucks it thows the whole bike balance out and can make it feel that the fork is the issue and vice versa to a certain extent.

I am in the very luck position of owning possibly two of the very best trail /am/ enduro forks out there - Bos Deville and XF Vengeance HLR air. Both piss all over every Fox fork I have every owned or ridden aside from a 40. IMO is isn't even that subjective. Both fork dampers are in a completely different league. The Bos in particular rewards the faster you go. Push harder and harder and the more composed it seems to be.
    I may have a small issue with my Vengeance which is causing it to be a bit spikey at times. It is possible that I need to revisit my rebound settings and "unlearn" what I have learned from setting up other brands - Fox and Zocche etc
    I don't have any meaningful time on a well set up Pike. It may be worthy of being in the group with the Bos - but I can't say

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The float migration issue is fixed by removing the foarm ring on the air spring piston.

Fox now uses seals made by SKF that have reduced stiction greatly.
    Curious about fixing oil migration as I have a 2012 Float 36 160mm FIT RC2 and frequently change the oil now (previous owner didn't) and noticed a few times 'no oil' in the air side, only to have it all in the air chamber instead (remove all air, manually pump shaft up/down to drain)... Yike.... the "foam' ring is a solid rubber for mine, not actual foam like my revelation was - and isn't that need to lubricate the stanchions ?

I also made sure it had the SKF seals already - right after I service it's smooth, but quickly goes away. So I sometimes put bike upside down hoping to extra lubricate the seals before a ride. Been thinking of trying another fork as I've never gotten full travel on that Float 36, nor as plush as the revelation was (though better suited to the rougher riding I now do).