mtbr member
    Jul 2004

XFusion Slide on Ripley?

Anyone running the Slide 120 on a Ripley? I am embarking on an XC/trail, emphasis on XC, build of a Ripley, and it seems to me the Slide would be a nice cost effective fork choice. I am not looking for a mondo beef bike, think all day XC rides in Colorado with lots of climbing, and I prefer XC bikes to more sled oriented AM bikes.
    Any reason not to choose the Slide? I always feel like any quality fork can be made to work well with proper massaging (clean fork fluids, shim stack tuning, etc). With 15 mm thru and 120 travel, 32 stanchions are plenty stiff for my riding style.
    Thoughts?
    Aso considering Tower Pro, as I like Mantiou's Absolute Plus damper, and linear compression feel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The possible problem I see is that the Slide and Tower Pro do not have the 51mm offset. Ibis seems to recommend a fork with a 51mm offset.

Ripley 29 | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US
    "Approved for 120-140mm forks, 32 or 34 stanchion, 51mm rake is STRONGLY recommended"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Not too worried about the offset on the Tower Pro, it is 48 mm. Tiny diff vs 51, and slightly slower handling will not kill me with a 120 fork. Do ya know the offset of the Slide, is less like all those 45-46 offset forks?
    I really do not want to go Fox or Rock Shox as they are noticeably more flex to me. I guess the Trace is not much different in weight than the Slide though (how can that be so?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Slide seems to be 46mm offset - BTI | 29" Suspension Forks from X-Fusion Shox (page 1)
    The Trace is 51mm offset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for that, 46 may be to little… I am still considering the Trace as well, but it is going to be overkill for this build at 120… Maybe it would be worth going for the Trace anyway, and trying it at 130 to see if my XC needs would still be met. I definitely would prefer a stiffer fork than SID and FOX 32s. Tower Pro may be the way to go…
    Hmmm.