mtbr member
    Dec 2005

XC mojo racers here?

who races their mojo in cross country events? does it fare well with a light build?

or just too much travel?

i am not in it for the gold, just fun. i do intend to race XC with my mojo. just wondering if i'll be a disadvantage.

currently, i race a hard tail steel frame bike that is probably around 25ish pounds.

my mojo should be 22-23 lbs. so i would think it would be better unless the travel kills me.

opinions?

thanks!

mx

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    who races their mojo in cross country events? does it fare well with a light build?
    I use my Mojo for racing, the build is all XTR (including the wheels) with extra carbony goodness at the bars and seatpost. I really like it and find the extra travel handy when I need it, and not much of hinderance when climbing or flying through singletrack.

It is probably a little slower than my other bike, but there's not much in it and given the fact that the races I do tend to be longer, the greater comfort I get from the bike makes me feel a little less shredded at the end of the day.

I feel a little guilty I am neglecting my perfectly good and brilliant other bike... but only a little.

Ride what makes you smile.

Fish
    Last edited by fishboy2807; 03-24-2008 at 09:24 PM.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I do some XC racing, but I have only had a chance to compete in a single race since I got my Mojo.

I think I will end up much faster with the Mojo, but my previous ride was not a racing beast (Stumpy).
    Last edited by flafonta; 03-25-2008 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I only do Endurance XC events, and being that the SL will be about the same weight as my Ti Mojo I race, I think the decision will be made on whether the course is a sh*tkicker or not. Smooth & fast will get the HT, and the nasty courses will get the SL. With lockouts on the rear shock, it shouldn't make a difference on climbing.
    Can't wait for the starting line!

mtbr member
    There were three mojos at the xc race today in Monterey, Ca. It was my first race on my Mojo Sl. The course had a 900 foot fire road climb with a fast single track down hill. It felt like a mojo demo day as everyone was checking out and riding my sl. They couldn't believe that it comes in at 21 lbs. Jason Rawls from fox shox won the pro/semipro race on a mojo and I won the 35-44 expert race.The bike was awsome climbing while locked out and just soaked everything up on the down hill. My race hard tail is a Schwinn homegrown that weighs in at 19.5 lbs and I may never race it again. The race series is the central coast cyclocross mtb series.Love my Mojo.
    milesW

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    It felt like a mojo demo day as everyone was checking out and riding my sl.
    Great result Miles. I went in the Karapoti Race in NZ recently, and afterwards, lots of people were checking out my Mojo and asking plenty of questions. They certainly attract attention... and I was nowhere near the podium!
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There were three mojos at the xc race today in Monterey, Ca. It was my first race on my Mojo Sl. The course had a 900 foot fire road climb with a fast single track down hill. It felt like a mojo demo day as everyone was checking out and riding my sl. They couldn't believe that it comes in at 21 lbs. Jason Rawls from fox shox won the pro/semipro race on a mojo and I won the 35-44 expert race.The bike was awsome climbing while locked out and just soaked everything up on the down hill. My race hard tail is a Schwinn homegrown that weighs in at 19.5 lbs and I may never race it again. The race series is the central coast cyclocross mtb series.Love my Mojo.
    sweet, thanks for rubbing it in!!

when did you order your mojo sl?

mx

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

miles how is the manitou fork?

Miles how are you finding the fork and Dt swiss combo? was the fork easy to set up and are you getting full travel from it?

thanks

mtbr member
    Nice work Miles. If you don't mind my asking: How do you have your cockpit set up for XC racing? (i.e. frame size, stem size, bar rise, headset spacers---and your own approx. height, weight, inseam, arm length). I have mine set up more for all mountain riding, but am thinking of making some changes for coming races.

mtbr member
    Hi Getbusyliving, my xc setup is a med. Mojo SL,110 Ritchty stem with low stack headset 1/2 inch spacer. My bar is the Monkeylite sl 24" wide, low rise. Seat post is zero offset KCNC. I use this setup for all my trail riding, seems very balanced. I am 5'8" and proportioned equally. The Mojo is a great xc racer and trail bike.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sweet, if only Ibis could get some XC Marathon rider to ride a Mojo SL, then it will really rock the MTB racing scene, Lopes riding a Mojo for aggressive event and a famous Marathon XC racer riding a Mojo for marathon events.

Anyway, a strict XC Race bike usually will have long stem (110mm length), a flat handlebar with bar ends, a short fork (usually a 80-100mm but for a Mojo it should be 120-130), a lightweight wheelset (Stans Olympic disc) and high seatpost, and that should be pretty much a XC race build but it defies the Mojo purpose. If follow my estimation its weight should be around 10-12kg. (my Anthem is 12kg by the way and most mass produced XC bike weight is around 10-12kg with race parts).

Mojo is meant to be a one-bike-to-do-it-all, so you should make your build able to take some jumps and still reasonable lightweight (if you are planning to use it for XC). Whereas if you are planning to use it for almost everything, from daily jumps to XC, then by all means, make it to be around 12-15kg, easy to achieve on a Mojo.

*Weight will vary depending on shock choice (air VS coil) and either Mojo Classic or Mojo SL.

Its only my opinion though so dont take it seriously
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy