mtbr member
    Jun 2007

X-Fusion Vengeance HLR vs RockShox Lyrik RC2 DH

I was all set to buy the X-Fusion but just learned the RockShox is now being offered with the WC Boxxer damper which is supposed to perform very very well. Anyone have any time on both forks to provide a recommendation?

mtbr member
    I don't have time on the X Fusion, but I did just mount an RC2DH. All I can say is O M G

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What rear shock did you mate the RC2 DH with? Are you riding the 2013 Boxxer damper model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have you also considered Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti? I can't recommend it enough.

www.derbyrims.com
    There's a long thread on this topic in Shocks. Maybe you've seen...
    X fusion Vengeance vs Rock Shox Lyrik

I have not ridden the Lyrick with the DH damper, it is reported to be a nice improvement over the Mission Control damper I had in my Lyrik u-turn coil forks. The Mission Control damper's LSC adjuster has nearly no effect from full soft to firm (fast to slow), the DH damper is reported to have more noticeable adjustment for LSC, and the larger volume dampers also improve speed sensitivity (good damping support at slow to moderate travel speeds, with good support release and recovery transition with bigger hits).

I have been riding a Vengeance HLR coil on my HD for 3/4 year and it is a huge speed sensitive damping improvement over my MiCo damped Lyrik, within a few grams in weight, much more adjustment range in every knob, and stiffer having less flex, with even less stiction (not noticeable at all) although my two Lyriks were very low on stiction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    There's a long thread on this topic in Shocks. Maybe you've seen...
    X fusion Vengeance vs Rock Shox Lyrik

I have not ridden the Lyrick with the DH damper, it is reported to be a nice improvement over the Mission Control damper I had in my Lyrik u-turn coil forks. The Mission Control damper's LSC adjuster has nearly no effect from full soft to firm (fast to slow), the DH damper is reported to have more noticeable adjustment for LSC, and the larger volume dampers also improve speed sensitivity (good damping support at slow to moderate travel speeds, with good support release and recovery transition with bigger hits).

I have been riding a Vengeance HLR coil on my HD for 3/4 year and it is a huge speed sensitive damping improvement over my MiCo damped Lyrik, within a few grams in weight, much more adjustment range in every knob, and stiffer having less flex, with even less stiction (not noticeable at all) although my two Lyriks were very low on stiction.
    I still need to meet up with you and give your bike a test ride. No one in that thread seems to have ridden the new fork unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Mine is the new RC2DH. Super plush with good mid stroke support. I am still working on dialing it in, but I really like it so far.

I am also trying to get a Vengance to try next week to compare.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone know if its easy to retro fit this cartridge into a 2011 Lyrik RC? Well, easy for a shop to fit it anyway!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Pretty sure the damped can be retro fitted. I looked at doing it to my 2009 forks before buying Bos Devilles, then Marzocchi 55's

MPI
    mtbr member
    To mix it more. I have this

Name:  55-evoti.jpg
Views: 2567
Size:  36.0 KB

mixed with this

X-Fusion Vengeance HLR vs RockShox Lyrik RC2 DH-marzocchi-55-rc3-evo-cart-v.jpg

Needs to be installed though...

I also have had a Lyrik 2010 Solo Air RC2 DH 170mm which was better than Deville 170mm. Devilleīs quality is da S...

In my opinion you canīt go wrong with Lyrik.
    Last edited by MPI; 02-14-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    I am also debating between the Lyrik RC2 DH and the Vengeance HLR for the HD build I am planning. Everything I've read about the vengeance is great but the increased A2C height is annoying, 10mm isn't huge but I would like to keep my BB as low as possible. Does anyone know if there are any issues with running the HD with a ZS49 lower cup with a 1 1/8 straight steerer? This would basically offset the A2C increase for the Vengeance. I just worry that the crown would hit the down tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi dave,

I have a ZS 49 lower cup with a 1 1/8 straight steerer on my HD. I've decided for this one to lower the bottom stack height, too and so far no problems at all. It's not as low as I expected, but that's the fault of an angleset gimbal bearing at the bottom, regular headset will be lower. You can find some pictures here Ibis Mojo HD with Cane Creek Angleset | unluckypete.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Vengeance hlr, hands down

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cm223 View Post
    Vengeance hlr, hands down
    Do you have time on the Lyrik as a comparison?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI View Post
    To mix it more. I have this

Name:  55-evoti.jpg
Views: 2567
Size:  36.0 KB

mixed with this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marzocchi-55-RC3-EVO-Cart-V.jpg 
Views:	761 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	771675

Needs to be installed though...

I also have had a Lyrik 2010 Solo Air RC2 DH 170mm which was better than Deville 170mm. Devilleīs quality is da S...

In my opinion you canīt go wrong with Lyrik.
    this an Avalanche cart?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madstace View Post
    Do you have time on the Lyrik as a comparison?
    Yes I do. I had a rc2dh solo air on my HD while I was waiting for the tapered vengeance to become available. The lyrik was a good fork, better than my float 36 no doubt. The lyrik doesn't react as fast in the beginning of the stroke and the lsc helps dial out brake dive well, it lacked a bit of mid stroke progressiveness for my taste and felt to get hung up in the mid stroke a bit. I had the rebound 12 out from closed if I remember correctly. 4 HSC 6 LSC and 75 psi. (I weigh 180)
    The xf is a very active fork, at first feel (parking lot) it will seem like the reb is too fast for a middle of the range clicker start point. I found it to track better through rough corners, gave better front end feel roll through/over rocks faster and really ramped up nicely towards mid-end stroke. Didn't notice the 10mm a2c difference adversely effecting the bike in any way. Hope this helps!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's awesome feedback, cheers mate. At this point I'm still torn, and the Vengeance A2C is still a bit of a worry, but I was thinking of running it @ 150mm to compensate (on a SB66).

mtbr member
    I am on the Lyrik 170 and I stopped noticing the A2C difference after one ride. I would not worry about that too much.

MPI
    mtbr member

X-Fusion Vengeance HLR vs RockShox Lyrik RC2 DH

Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    this an Avalanche cart?
    Yes it is. I am trying to get the good one to be even better. I haven't had a time to install and ride it yet. There are some initial impressions in the Knolly forum.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madstace View Post
    That's awesome feedback, cheers mate. At this point I'm still torn, and the Vengeance A2C is still a bit of a worry, but I was thinking of running it @ 150mm to compensate (on a SB66).
    I have the same concern with the vengence A2C.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ended up ordering the Vengeance and Vector HLR Air fork and shock. They should be here mid next week.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    How is the new Lyrik damper different from prevouos DH damper offerings? Hard to tell much from their website.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    How is the new Lyrik damper different from prevouos DH damper offerings? Hard to tell much from their website.
    The DH damper has not changed much if any since introduced to the Lyrik a couple years ago. The DH damper is higher volume, using the whole upper stanchion rather than the smaller volume cartridge inserts of the Mission Control or Motion Control RS damper designs The higher volume moves more fluid though the dampers and can improve speed sensitivity with shim stack tuning (smooth damping support without spiking firmly upon big hits). The DH dampers were taken from the Boxxer DH fork and tuned for the shorter travel Lyrik.

The X-Fusion Vengeance uses a twin tube cartridge design, which about doubles fluid flow speed allowing greater range of external adjustment and high quality shim tuned speed sensitivity.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    The DH damper has not changed much if any since introduced to the Lyrik a couple years ago. The DH damper is higher volume, using the whole upper stanchion rather than the smaller volume cartridge inserts of the Mission Control or Motion Control RS damper designs The higher volume moves more fluid though the dampers and can improve speed sensitivity with shim stack tuning (smooth damping support without spiking firmly upon big hits). The DH dampers were taken from the Boxxer DH fork and tuned for the shorter travel Lyrik.

The X-Fusion Vengeance uses a twin tube cartridge design, which about doubles fluid flow speed allowing greater range of external adjustment and high quality shim tuned speed sensitivity.
    Thanks Derby,
    I would probably go with X-Fusion too, given the same choice. I had a 2010 Lyrik and can't say I felt a big change between the sock Mission control, vs the DH damper