www.derbyrims.com

Smile X-Fusion Vengeance HLR coil - Can a fork be too good?

I posted this long review of my new X-Fusion Vengeance HLR coil fork on my HD in the Suspension forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...ml#post9498737

Also I modified it to use a U-Turn coil from my Lyrik, to make a more versatile AM fork. Details are in the review.

650b/27.5 wheels easily clear, and will clear the (oversize IMO) 28 inch options for 650b coming soon.

X-Fusion is producing some of the best damping and suspension options these days, from XC to heavy duty AM, IMO. And the prices are still a lot lower than the major brands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-Fusion Vengeance HLR coil - Can a fork be too good?-vegan-vector-sideright2.jpg  

X-Fusion Vengeance HLR coil - Can a fork be too good?-vegan-vector-front.jpg  

X-Fusion Vengeance HLR coil - Can a fork be too good?-hd-cascadedh.jpg  

Last edited by derby; 07-26-2012 at 11:44 PM.

aka dan51
    Stop making me spend money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Stop making me spend money!
    Agreed. But Derby, since you've convinced me, what is your bike weighing in at? I was initially planning on going with air front and rear but now I'm thinking coil.
    Last edited by charmon2; 07-14-2012 at 06:00 PM.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    Agreed. But Derby, since you've convinced me, what is your bike weighing in at? I was initially planning on going with air front and rear but now I'm thinking coil.
    I don't know my HD's weight, I've never weighed it. My HD had the same components swapped from my previous Mojo C except front derailleur and headset, the new Vengeance fork is near the same weight as the Lyrik used previously. My Mojo C was just under 31 lbs. The HD frame is 1/2 lb heavier so I'd estimate it's just over 31 lbs. It's not light, with the heavy duty taller 650b wheel set and 725gram tires, remote dropper seat post, and heavy FSA Afterburner crankset.

Compared to air suspension, coil forks are normally 1/2 lb heavier than air with the same features. And a coil shock with ti coil is about 1/2 lb heavier than air from the same manufacturer, with a steel coil about 3/4 lb heavier than air. But shock weights vary between manufacturers, X-Fusion forks and shocks are exceptionally light and low in flex suspension. I would not be surprised if my X-Fusion Vector HLR shock with ti coil is lighter than a CCDB air shock. The CCDB Air and coil are heavier from using an unusually higher oil volume than most other shocks.

the refurbished one
    thats a little optimistic.

a coil with ti spring weights 650g-800g depending on spring weight and manufactor of shock and spring.
    a ccdb air is 530g and a vector air 435g (i owned/own both) and a rs monarch plus 380g.
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    thats a little optimistic.

a coil with ti spring weights 650g-800g depending on spring weight and manufactor of shock and spring.
    a ccdb air is 530g and a vector air 435g (i owned/own both) and a rs monarch plus 380g.
    Yes, thanks. I was optimistic about a Vector with ti coil weight. I guess mine would be near 1/4 lb heavier than the same size CCDB air. Heavier, but not by much.

"408g Vector HLR w/o coil" per X-Fusion web site + 210g my ti coil weight = near 618g on my bike

CCDB Air = "~500g" per CC web site. Your's was 530g.

the refurbished one
    whoa, you must be light to be able to ride such a light spring.
    but you are right, in your case a coil shock with ti spring is not a big difference to an air shock.
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    whoa, you must be light to be able to ride such a light spring.
    but you are right, in your case a coil shock with ti spring is not a big difference to an air shock.
    Well I was measuring a 450# x 2.25 ti coil. Actually, for my 200 lbs ride weight, I'm currently on a 400#x2.25 ti coil with a couple turns preload on the X-Fusion Vector HLR shock in the picture. These old ebay won Progressive brand (Diverse made) ti coils are wound with a very wide gap, it can't come close to binding at 2.5 inch bottom out. Maybe there will be shorter durability, or faster softening (does a ti coil soften in weight very gradually?). I've never heard of a coil breaking. So I guess I'm cheating again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ive gotten so used to having the compression dials on top...is it a bummer having them on bottom? also i cant find one in black with a tapered steer tube...fugger.

mtbr member
    there is an inconvenience of having the compression adjustments on the bottom, but the performance of the fork makes it a non-issue. Plus it is still easily accessible, just not a much so as a Lyrik.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown View Post
    Ive gotten so used to having the compression dials on top...is it a bummer having them on bottom? also i cant find one in black with a tapered steer tube...fugger.
    Did you try emailing X-Fusion directly for the black/tapered? It they are back ordered, I'd imagine they would get them first when the next batch arrives from the factory.

Yes the compression knobs below is a bit more trouble. I think it has to do with the high flow twin-tube design. I see that the Avalanche fork cartridge twin-tube design also has the C knobs at the bottom, R on top too. Tweaking the R knob might be more frequent on-the-fly for changing terrain anyway, a click or two firmer to pack down a firmer ride for smooth trail, softer for rocky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just picked up a black tapered from Kara at Bikeco.com couple of weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    theyre out till october per the guys at xfusion...thinking about going with the marzocchi 55 rc3. only hang up is the white fork on the black HD. am i crazy for caring so much about putting a white fork on a black bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    theyre out till october per the guys at xfusion...thinking about going with the marzocchi 55 rc3. only hang up is the white fork on the black HD. am i crazy for caring so much about putting a white fork on a black bike?
    I would still give bikeco a call.
    I just sold the 55 RC3 and much prefer the vengeance.

Nope, I feel exactely same way about putting a white fork on my Vit. P, it had to be black.

www.derbyrims.com
    Wow! I just got a good ride in yesterday, after a week away on a motorcycle vacation to the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca.

Maybe it was an especially fresh day for me getting back on the mountain bike after a week away, but the flow and feel of the X-Fusion suspension was amazing to return to after getting beat up on the bumpy back roads for many days on my '02 R1 with Ohlin shock and Racetech fork damping.