mtbr member

X-Fusion Vector RC tuned for HD

Several weeks ago I ordered up a new Shox for my HD. Shopped around and settled on a Vector RC tuned specifically for the HD by the guys at X-Fusion for $50 more for the tune. I decided this was better than spending quite a bit more for the HCR with all the adjustable knobs.
    The RC (as you can see in the photo) has two adjustments. Big Blue knob adjusts the low speed compression. Small hard to reach red knob adjusts rebound. And to my knowledge the inside tuning affects everything else.
    I added air to the can, bringing it to 90psi for sag at my weight (175lbs with gear). Sag is about 33-35%. The lightness of the shox is noticable for its volume. This thing is huge.
    Made a couple of adjustments in the field. For LSC I'm 5 clicks out from fully closed. There are 16 clicks available. For rebound I'm also 5 clicks out from fully closed. I don't know how many clicks are available here, its hard to get to. It seems like this adjustment knob will not get too much attention. But the blue LSC is what I am more interested in for my kind of riding. Rider feedback was noticable with only 2 clicks in either direction! What we ride here in Northern Arizona is lots of chunky rock. Chunky with a capital C! Trails can be fast, but not super fast, because of so many square edged rocks. And there are many, many rocks that act like landmines for riders. The need to change LSC seems to be fairly important as I'm learning, your bike need to deflect off these landmines without sending a rider into the ground.
    Here is what I noticed. On climbing, not too bad, not too much bob at all. I'll need to do a really big climb, but today with about 1500 feet of climbing, things were fine. In the technical bits, riding was super fun.
    On decending, oh what a difference. No more harshness that the rp-23 was delivering. The bike is a rocket ship to began with, but now, a lot more confidence with the Vector. Braking bumps, babyheads, lots of chatter were left behind with near disbelief. On one foot drops, root gaps, short jumps, the ride was super plush. Compression never exceeded 70% of the stroke. Cornering on looseness was very confident. No chatter or need to reset turns. Acceleration was not lost with stand up pedaling. On "poppy" turns the back end did not do anything weird. Just about pure confidence to bump up the ride factor by one!
    The big factor will be durability. I'll have to find this thread in a couple of months to give a update. Seals, platform, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-Fusion Vector RC tuned for HD-vector-rc.jpg  

There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Vector RC.

aka dan51
    I have the vector rc coil and love it.
    After seeing the pic I am glad I got the coil version. The rebound knob is in the open and easily adjustable.
    I've found the shock to work best when I adjust it for the trail. On a long climb I'll set the LSC at one turn from full closed. Same goes for smooth downhills. On chunky downhill I like LSC at 2 turns from closed. It eats up bumps better. Rebound is also adjusted on a per trail basis. Mine has 20 clicks, and fast chunky downhills I run it at 10 clicks from slow. Climbing or smooth dh I will often slow e rebound down a few clicks.

Super impressed with this shock. Xfusion is making their mark. I wish I needed a new fork!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for sharing. I am pretty sure I will be going with X-Fusion to replace the RP-23 on my HD. Still haven't decided on coil vs air

mtbr member

Another Update

I have been trying out different settings and air pressures. I've settled in that a 35% sag creates a nice sweet spot in the overall performance. On dampening, using the gravel parking lot cornering test, to see what setting kept the rear wheel from breaking out the least. Result, a slow shox return about 5 clicks from closed. Once out in the field on "real" conditions, I turned it to 7-8 clicks from closed. LSC is variable suited to terrain. The suggestion to close LSC when climbing helps quite a bit. Once ready to descend, I've been running it somewhere between 6-12 clicks from closed.
    The flip side was the fork. As my LBS guru pointed out, the settings between the fork and shox have to match. So I lowered my air pressure almost 10lbs, set the damping to slow and now do the same with the LSC when at the top of a climb ready to descend.
    All this now with considering what tires for conditions, air pressure in tires, etc. Its a fully geek out! But what a change in riding experience. Greatly put by Ali, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee".
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hi guys...im on the voctor air hlr...when you say 5 clicks from closed, does it means it's 5 clicks from firm? and open means soft? tq..

mtbr member
    Great review. I am looking at their 13 line front and rear and was curious how that one rode. Does it have a lockout, or a near lockout?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    hi guys...im on the voctor air hlr...when you say 5 clicks from closed, does it means it's 5 clicks from firm? and open means soft? tq..
    It means from full firm (compression) or full slow (rebound). Usually closed is when the dial is turned all the way clockwise, like being screwed in all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

x fusion vector hlr air with DW link tune option

Shock set up that has worked for me (XL HD160, 200 pound rider):

Found that it works best with 40+% sag which was a tough thing to do since I like to haul XC on the bike a lot of the time. Thought that much sag was only used for freeride or AM riding only. Not so, it works really well for XC/all conditions too, especially with the right amount of air in the piggy (see below). Had the chance to ride with DL last spring (uses same shock) and he was using 50% sag. Took me awhile to finally commit to 40-45%. Glad I did.

Also, it is very worthwhile adjusting the air in the piggy......minimum is 180 so started with that since I never came close to bottom-out, but after adding more and more air to the piggy the ride of the shock performance is now brilliant. Am up to 260 psi in the piggy currently. My assumption was that the air pressure in the piggy only affected bottom out.....however, by adding more air has actually made the entire range of the shock itself more plush, and landings are much less harsh on drops now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can someone help explain to me what effect does the air in the piggy has at 180psi min or 300psi max? And do I need to adjust the small black knob on the piggy if I were to pump in more or less air into it? What effect do the small knob at the piggy do then?

Thank you...

Right now I'm experimenting with the high compression at 3 clicks from full open (soft) and 9 clicks from full open for the low compression. Rebound is set from mid point plus 2 clicks towards fast.

It will be good if you guys can indicate whats your shock setting so that I can experiment with other types setting..appreciate it much..

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    Can someone help explain to me what effect does the air in the piggy has at 180psi min or 300psi max? And do I need to adjust the small black knob on the piggy if I were to pump in more or less air into it? What effect do the small knob at the piggy do then?
    The OP is about the Vector RC, without reserve chamber air adjustments or an external HSC adjuster.

You are referring to the Vector HLR version having external adjusters for LSC, HSC, LSR, main air spring pressure, reserve chamber air pressure and reserve chamber air volume.

The reserve chamber air pressure from min to max increased the rising rate compression and falling rate rebound of the whole range of spring travel, altering the main air chamber spring's more linear mid travel having more acute rising rate towards the bottom of the compression travel.

The tunable knob at the end of the reserve chamber changes the volume of that air pressure, altering the rate of rise to the progression. It has about 4.5 full turns in from the largest volume all the way out, the least rising rate. The volume mostly affects the bottom travel cushion, turning in ramps up the bottom cushion later, deeper in travel.

Tuning is by feel. There's no substitute for learning to tune from experience. Change one thing at a time and do a few rides, or DH park runs, adjusting both LSC and HSC out as much as possible.

However, if the ride becomes best with HSC adjusted all the way out to the limit, there could be even better feel and more useful compression damping for various conditions, by adjusting a little less spring pressure to support compression and increase the C damping adjusters to support the desired sag. By combining the main chamber and reserve chamber pressures and volume, the ramp up rate can be fine tuned for mid travel support with good plush deep travel, with bob reduction from the LSC, and rising rate damping from the HSC as the compression travel slows from spring resistance.

With shallower sag, generally max volume and lowest pressure in the reserve should be most linear and plush.

Using deep sag is where both the adjustments are more noticeable for tuning mid to deep travel ramp-up leaving shallower travel very bump compliant.