Thread: WTF Hutchinson

mtbr member

WTF Hutchinson

As to tires, some thing we can agree on is the following facts:

1. Weight in areas under motion result in rotational weight.
    2. Increases in rotational weight decrease handling and acceleration.
    3. The cheapest way to reduce the weight on a bike is the tires.
    4. Thicker side walls equals a tire with less play or movement while cornering.

Based on these facts one can see the advantage to the WTF group spec tires.

Pre-ride impression of the Hutchinsons were that they sealed well on SLR rims, super light weight, and looked good.

Post ride, I first thought the WTF Manitou was my culpert to the wallow in the front end. It was the soft side wall on the front tire causeing this effect under ultra fast descents. It scared me to death.

The rear blew my mind! I never lost traction anywhere! I ride eastern trails laden in slick roots that the finest tires are sent into a spin. In fact, this year Mountain Bike action did a wright up on my home trail in Alabama because Specialize utilized it for their tire development. If you find the article and read about the locals laughing at specialized for using a blower to clean the leaves off the trail, I was the local laughing. Anyway, I assumed it was the SL and its superior climbing geometry negating spin. It truly climbs better than anything I have ridden in 15 years.

So, I tried a tube up front to stiffen the side wall to no avail. I studied this forum, and learned that several riders were pleased with Kenda Nevegals, thus, made the purchase.

Post ride I learned that the Hutchinson on the rear grips way better than this nevegal. I switched between the two tires and watch the Hutchinson sidewall wrap around the roots giving me insane traction regardless of the gear. The Kenda would spin in protest and sent me to the ground quite painfully once.

However, the Kenda up front was a improvement. I did expect a little more in the way of sidewall stiffness from the kenda, but no matter what I did, I could not get the front end to push. This was easily achieved with the Hut. However, in no way was it a critical improvement.

I first assumed that Ibis spec these tires for one reason - Marketing the number 21.9. While tires are the cheapest way for a bike company to reach positive marketing weights, in this case, they actually work. I personally will run a mix of brands for best results. But for those of you pondering a WTFSL complete kit - DO IT - its all good! Yes, even the Manitou.

Think of it as a wife, facts are she will get fat over time so start with the thinnest hottest wife possible. The WTFSL is the lean MILF. Yes, over time she will gain weight with the addition of gravity equipment, but she will still be light. I have added a little pork to the Wheelset but she's still well under 24lbs. I guess I do not understand building a fat SL when a SL thats 6 pounds lighter will accomplish the same objective, yes even DH. But, I will save that for another Thread.

In conclusion, The WTF Hut in the rear is out of this world. If you XC your perfect front and rear. DH with front Huts will get you puckered up. But, I guess thats why the Huts have XC written real big on the side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LA CHÈVRE
    WTF is WTF?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    WTF is WTF?
    May not be work friendly.

mtbr member
    Ibis said:

2008 Mojo SL with WTF Group Specifications
    With the release of the Mojo SL, we decided to push the envelope on low weight a bit more. So we scoured the earth for RELIABLE but ultra lightweight parts suitable for the SL frame. So here you have it, the parts pick "WTF" that gets the SL into previously uncharted weight territory: 21.9 lbs total weight. Truly amazing if we do say so.

LA CHÈVRE
    Haaa I see, sorry for my newbibisness.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Grams Light Bikes
    The Hutchinson Piranha Tubeless Ready 26 x 2.0 are pretty useless in most of the conditions we have in the Colorado Rockies, meaning sandy, loose pea gravel, loose rock, etc., just not enough bite in the tread for our conditions. We don't have a lot of slippery roots! Wet rock gardens yes! Might be nice on slick rock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Alabama- Try this- turn the rear Nevegal so the rotation arrow is backwards. Now the square edge of the knob hits first instead of the ramp. I have been doing this on my last couple rear tires after hearing from a friend that rides with Tomac. He supposedly rides the Nevegals this way. I didn't notice any increase in rolling resistance but the grip is way improved!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mojomike
    Alabama- Try this- turn the rear Nevegal so the rotation arrow is backwards. Now the square edge of the knob hits first instead of the ramp. I have been doing this on my last couple rear tires after hearing from a friend that rides with Tomac. He supposedly rides the Nevegals this way. I didn't notice any increase in rolling resistance but the grip is way improved!

Yeah, the North Jersey guys have been doing that for some time, but rear only. If you do that on the front, where Alabama's Kenda is, the braking suffers.

mtbr member
    Nice, it works! I dropped the rear psi to 28, switched the tread direction = better traction. I was surprised that you can actually notice the difference. Damn fine advise, so logical.

Now, its a toss up. Lightest wins.

I have ridden the Rockies and it would eat my build alive. Grand Junction ate my honda alive, I cannot imagine the damage it does to pedal power rigs.

Thanks for the good advise fellas.

Expert Crasher
    Alabama - are you in B'ham? Montgomery myself. Oak Mtn is a great ride.

I'm toying with getting a Mojo to run as a 96er.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    B'ham greenlight - How much snow did you get? Love Oak mtn., its about 15 minutes from my house.

The Ibis is a purchase you will never regret. You will be amazed out how crappy every other bike feels after riding the mojo. The Ibis is like cheating. Its a stunner regardless of the wheels. Toy no longer and order!

Expert Crasher
    We got maybe 1" of wet stuff, only stuck to lawns and rooftops. Nothing like I got growing up in Colorado.

If I end up snagging the Mojo, I'll hit you up once it's built and we can tear up OM. I'll probably have the only 96'd Mojo in existence but it's a unique bike anyway so it'll be a tad more 'unique'.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    It was a nice dusting in bham.

I have tried several rigs at OM over the past decade, the Ibis handles the trail perfect. On full lockout front and rear you can rail the bunny trails road bike fast. Johnson Mountain is a breeze to climb with full travel engaged. The water shoots will launch you across the park with the slightest amount of preload.

In general, imagine a light stiff road bike with 5 inches of travel. My serotta weighs the same as this woods rocket. Just don't build yours fat, the low weight ads a new element to AM. You truly can clear objects that you cannot get enough lift from a 28lb rig on a XC trail. Blame Gravity.

Anyway, trust me watch your weight, you will be amazed at what you can do in return. Look forward to riding with you soon!

Grams Light Bikes
    I have been testing a Moots Mooto-XZ, their full 29er with 4 inches. Its been very sweet, especially in ledgy and rocky technical stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images