mtbr member
    May 2011

WTF? 2x10 X9 drivetrain on HD problems....

I've mentioned this in the Ibis forum before, but i'm still having major issues. Here is the scoop:

Ibis Mojo HD (brand new, last year), full X9 package from Ibis. I'm having a problem with the front derailleur. Basically, I'm losing the chain off the top outside of the big ring. If I bring the limit in enough to keep the chain on, i can't shift up into the big ring, especially if I'm on 1, 2, or 3 in the back. This seems like a basic drivetrain issue. I do all my own maintenance on my bikes, but this one is kicking my ass, so i've brought it to a few shops. Every single one of them claims to have "fixed" it, but if it seems good in the parking lot of the shop, it doesn't make the cut on the trail.

This, I know:
    It is not a tolerance issue with the frame.
    The derailleur cage is not bowed out on the outside
    A 2x10 system SHOULD allow you to shift into the big ring from the 1&1 granny combo.
    I SHOULD NOT need to buy a type to or clutch derailleur. A multi hundred dollar drivetrain should work properly.

Anyone have this problem???

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Same here, except mine is a combo of X7/X9. I've bashguards on a few different bikes now from some manufactures using SRAM 2x10, I've been thinking that that might be a nice way to keep the chain from clearing right off the big ring.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Any other thoughts?

Rider of Gnarl

Derailleur Height or Chain Length

Just a couple of quick guesses...

You should check your dérailleur height. It should be no higher than the edge of a penny from the closest tooth on the big ring to the bottom of the derailleur cage. Just make sure it doesn't touch the big ring. The park tools website has a really nice tutorial about front derailleur setup. I just upgraded from 3x9 to 2x10 and when I initially set it up I had my front der too high and it shifted horribly.

Also, but less likely, it could it be a chain length issue. I find my 2x10 much less forgiving on chain length than my 3x9. To make sure you've got it right, take all the air out of your rear shock and set the rebound to the slowest setting. With the chain run through the derailleur (in the normal riding configuration), shift to the biggest cog in back and biggest chain ring in the front. Fully compress the rear suspension and look at the rear dérailleur. If it is stretched parallel to the ground, your chain is too short. If it's not stretched with a good obtuse angle, it's loo long.