mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well The woes of a fickle biker...

What I want in a bike is subject to change on a day to day basis. One day I'll be wanting a Spec Enduro, the next i'll be yearning for a lightweight ss, the next it's the SC Nomad, the next I'm craving something completely different... As of right now, I'm torn. I love the idea of a 6in travel all mountain machine such as the Nomad but there's something unspeakably appealing about an ultra lightweight hardtail such as Ibis's Tranny. I've decided to purchase a new bike by the end of the summer (which ultimately requires me to make up my mind) and I just wanted to ask a very simple question: Which bike would be more fun?

I love the sport of mountain biking and I'm not out there to win races or to gain sponsorships, I just like going as fast as I can and having a blast with my friends on a daily basis. I want a nice quality bike that will LAST and give me tons of smiles and bruises alike over the coming years and I want to enlist the service of fellow enthusiasts to help me collect my muddled thoughts and make up my fickle mind.

What, in your opinion, is more of a treat to ride? A properly fast ultra light hardtail such as the Tranny or a long travel all mountain fiend such as the Nomad or Mojo?

Thanks, and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Ah, the age old question.

Buy a Tranny, and mount a new 4/5/6" Talas up front. Geared or SS, you choose.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    I've owned and ridden lots of nice bikes, and none of them are as fun to ride as my standard Mojo (the current carbon one....not the first steel one, nor the 98 ti mojo that I still have and love riding)... I don't even have a very nice or light or burly or fancy build on it....had to do it on the cheap.... and I giggle like a school girl high on nicotine and wine coolers every time I ride it.

mtbr member
    I have lots of bikes (Ibis) for different types of riding, but if I could keep only one it would be the Carbon Mojo set up as a trail bike.
    milesW

mtbr member
    I have lots of bikes (Ibis) for different types of riding, but if I could keep only one it would be the Carbon Mojo set up as a trail bike. I don't have an HD though, so maybe that is the one I would keep.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    I have lots of bikes (Ibis) for different types of riding, but if I could keep only one it would be the Carbon Mojo set up as a trail bike. I don't have an HD though, so maybe that is the one I would keep.
    Yeah, good point... I'm making a concerted effort to not even think about, read about, or look at the HD's.... and I'm failing miserably. They look fantastic. But I've still got lots of room to improve the spec and enjoy the ride on the std mojo.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Dboerma
    What, in your opinion, is more of a treat to ride? A properly fast ultra light hardtail such as the Tranny or a long travel all mountain fiend such as the Nomad or Mojo?
    That's comparing apples to oranges.
    I'd prefer the squishy bike because I like doing jumps and not getting beat up by bumps.
    Others would prefer the Tranny because they like the kind of riding it's good for.

Best to ask yourself what you like to ride more and go from there.

Better yet, get both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Ibis HD would be my one bike that wasn't my true DH bike. (That bike is currently a Intense 951 and I love it but I have to say the new Carbon V-10 looks like pure sex on wheels as well for the DH realm).

I have a Carbon Mojo atm as my Trail bike and it is most excellent but I am finding it harder and harder to resist going and test riding a HD once they are around. I expect it will be a very poor economic choice to test ride a HD so I am trying to delay it until the end of the summer.

Mal Ad Osteo
    Carbon Mojo = best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Obviously two totally different rigs, but IMO Mojo is much more fun unless maybe you're riding mostly non-techy trails, or mostly wanting to improve your times up the climbs. I personally ride my hardtail about 1 time for every 50 times I ride my Mojo. Get a Mojo SL, build it up light-ish, spec it with the Fox RPL (lockout) shock, and you'll have it all.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    I think guys like us that just dig on bikes in general are going to end up with multiple purchases no matter how much we try to pick just one.
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

Slothful dirt hippie
    It's a little worrisome when people obsess overly about 'perfect' and loose out on 'good enough, satisfied, & having tons of fun'. Not to say you're there yet, but... JMO:
    1. Take a Mojo (SL) and a Tranny out for a test spin along with some other potential candidates. Only YOU are going to know what feels best for YOU.
    2. Buy what your gut tells you is best.
    3. Ride the crap out of it. Make it dirty. Break stuff on it. Take pictures, scuff your skin, drink a beer in the shower afterward with a smile. Repeat for n iterations where n=some value just south of infinity.

Life is short and hazardous and no bike is perfect (although IMO the Mojo is certainly close, lol). If you live long enough to be sitting on the porch drinking breakfast through your dentures, I'm guessing you won't remember what minor detail wasn't just right about the bike you were riding at the time... but you WILL remember riding.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."