Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Will the Ripley Make an Appearance at Interbike?

Would be cool if it did.

It's starting to seem like the snuffaluffagus of Ibis' bikes since no one has seen it but big bird.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    It's starting to seem like the snuffaluffagus of Ibis' bikes since no one has seen it but big bird.
    LOL! That's ****ing hilarious.
    Time to rename the Ripley!

pretty sure they said no, you won't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    People have seen it.

Not sure if it's there or not.

bike rider
    It has been shelved and is being revamped for 650b wheels. There's a memo going around the industry stating that 29ers are dead except for XC race bikes and 6'4"+ bikes.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    It has been shelved and is being revamped for 650b wheels. There's a memo going around the industry stating that 29ers are dead except for XC race bikes and 6'4"+ bikes.
    Oh if that were true--the 650b thing, not the kill 29ers thing.

bike rider
    Ha ha! Some dainty 29er lover got their feelings hurt by my obviously joking post above. They neg repped me and said I'm stupid. Enjoy your long chainstays loser.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ibis skipping interbike LV

Hello Forum,
    FYI we are not displaying at Interbike.
    Regarding the Ripley, it's coming along nicely and we're sticking to our plan of doing a full launch and beginning shipments at the same time. That's it for now. We'll keep you posted.
    Hans

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Would be cool if it did.

I was hoping/wondering the same thing. It would be sweet if they did, but I thought I heard they weren't planning on attending Interbike this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rumour has it they are running testing days with Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Hans, you're killin' me. I've got several thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and the Ripley looks pretty badass... there's got to be SOME kind of approximate release date, right? Like, will it be in 2012? Hans, save me from buying a Tallboy LTc.

Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Hello Forum,
    FYI we are not displaying at Interbike.
    Regarding the Ripley, it's coming along nicely and we're sticking to our plan of doing a full launch and beginning shipments at the same time. That's it for now. We'll keep you posted.
    Hans

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Hans, you're killin' me. I've got several thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and the Ripley looks pretty badass... there's got to be SOME kind of approximate release date, right? Like, will it be in 2012? Hans, save me from buying a Tallboy LTc.
    Did you see the Rip 9 RDO
    beaver hunt

Rohloff
    Ripley is the perfect name ... believe it or not!

mtbr member
    I did; looks great, but I don't think I can wait 'till March. And give Niner's history, "March 2013" could mean "late 2013 if you're lucky..."

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Did you see the Rip 9 RDO

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If I were super hot to be getting a carbon 29er, I would probably get a Giant Anthem X 29er, a Niner Jet 9 RDO, or a Cannondale Scalpel 29er (and move the headset cups to the bottom to slack out a legitimate XC Race bike). I probably would even consider the Santa Cruz Tallboy even though I prefer the dw-link over VPP.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    If I were super hot to be getting a carbon 29er, I would probably get a Giant Anthem X 29er, a Niner Jet 9 RDO, or a Cannondale Scalpel 29er (and move the headset cups to the bottom to slack out a legitimate XC Race bike). I probably would even consider the Santa Cruz Tallboy even though I prefer the dw-link over VPP.
    I rode a Giant and a Niner and wasn't too crazy about either of them. As it is, I was all set to lay my $ down on a Mojo SL-R back in June, but then I started demo'ing 29ers. So now I want to see the RIpley before I make my final choice. But I figure if Ibis doesn't release it by next spring I will just have to pick between the Tallboy or the carbon Pivot 29'er. Having too many choices is never a bad thing.

mtbr member
    My money is on a release before the end of 2012, just like they said. The bike is out being tested and winning races. Some of you guys want to blow your wads ASAP. Slow down and enjoy the thrill of anticipation, think of it as bike foreplay, also know that when it is released you'll be able to get one, not like some other products going around.
    The 650 idea is pretty cool though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I can see myself ending up with a Mojo HD 140 converted to 650b as my goto bike for when I don't know which bike to take and a Ripley or Ripley-like 29er for long, fast trail miles.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I emailed Ibis a few weeks ago on a separate issue, but also asked if the Ripley was on track for 2012. Scot indicated they were still shooting for a 2012 release.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I emailed Ibis a few weeks ago on a separate issue, but also asked if the Ripley was on track for 2012. Scot indicated they were still shooting for a 2012 release.
    Is this the time to start flaming people for spreading rumors about the Ripley ;-) ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Is this the time to start flaming people for spreading rumors about the Ripley ;-) ?
    Just you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Just you!
    Hey, I am all used to that now from the last round - bring it on :-)

(Didn't anyone notice the smiley or is this just too sensitive to joke about still? Could not help myself as some people seems to be taking what's written way too seriously)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Hey, I am all used to that now from the last round - bring it on :-)

(Didn't anyone notice the smiley or is this just too sensitive to joke about still? Could not help myself as some people seems to be taking what's written way too seriously)
    And some people who think they had inside company info who even if they did should have kept their mouth shut. Not only did you lie about it, but you told people flat out wrong info yet claiming to know something that you didn't. I never found the lies you told funny.

mtbr member
    I believe you had me wrong here. I never claimed to have inside info, I just referred to info from a fellow biker who had actually visited Ibis and got told what I wrote. Lying is a strong word, it indicates that I told something incorrect in order to gain something. How would I gain anything from that?

On the other hand, if I really had inside info I would never had posted it here.

mtbr member
    Lying by definition doesn't mean to gain something. You need to study the word. I can bring up the thread if you like and quote you word for word. You sent out information claiming to know something you clearly didn't and someone from Ibis had to come in and tell people that information you were giving out was incorrect. There was no grey area. There was no misunderstanding, it was a lie and someone from the company had to come in and correct you. Period, end of story.

See here is the problem with people sending out incorrect information and costing people (me) money.
    I run a small electrical company that specializes in high end LED lighting. I go in other forums and answer questions for electricians and contractors and other lighting experts how to install and or buy LED lighting. I also install it. Now one big company here in the bay area contracted me to do a retrofit on the latest LED lighting avaliable to one of their new buildings. I was very happy to get this contract, it was huge for me. Well this company also uses the web quite well (part of their business) to find out more about what we were going to install. They also went to the forums and spoke with other experts, but one guy who is now being sued started telling people that there was another light coming down the line very quickly from the company I was buying from and should hold out till this new light became avaliable. It was a total lie. The new LED lights that we were getting were the best thing coming and nothing was going to replace them for quite some time. The company I had a contract with panicked and stopped the work order costing me more money then I care to discuss here. All because some guy felt powered to lie over the Internet about upcoming technology he knew nothing about. He was a respected posted on those forums and has now been banned. The company that hired me, felt at that time that I was holding out on them. We have repaired that relationship, but the damage was done.

So I can speak of first hand knowledge about how false information can damage a company. That's why I get pissed about it when I see it.

mtbr member
    I am sorry for you loosing business, but then you also know that this is how enthusiast's forums like MTBR work. People are keen to know and share, and info is hard to verify. Info is posted as best effort, and that's what happened in this case as well. I have learned, but I still feel that some were a bit too high strung and just looking for someone to vent the frustration on. Too bad, but it's water under the bridge now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast