mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Will Mountain King 2.4 fit rear of medium Mojo SL?

Will a Conti Mountain King 2.4 fit the rear of my medium Mojo SL? From what I've read, the MK sounds a bit smaller than the Nevegal 2.35 I'm presently running. But before I drop the $ I'd love confirmation from someone who's actually run the MK 2.4. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Conti's run pretty large , the 2.4 might be pushing it. Why not go for a 2.2 on the back? Less weight , rolling resistance , etc
    Last edited by PhoS; 09-25-2012 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
    Conti's run pretty large , the 2.4 might be pushing it. Why not go for a 2.2 on the back? Less weight , rolling resistance , etc
    Thanks PhoS. Most of my riding (Tahoe) includes some steep climbs on loose dust, and descents over sharp rocks. So both uphill traction and downhill durability are key. The 2.35 Nevegal works fine for that, but it's heavy (1000+g). I was thinking with the 2.4 MountainKing Protection, I'd save about 350g without sacrificing traction in our moon dust or rim protection. I was considering the 2.2 but I've read that it's actually more like 2". Folks on mtbr seem to think Conti's run small...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    Thanks PhoS. Most of my riding (Tahoe) includes some steep climbs on loose dust, and descents over sharp rocks. So both uphill traction and downhill durability are key. The 2.35 Nevegal works fine for that, but it's heavy (1000+g). I was thinking with the 2.4 MountainKing Protection, I'd save about 350g without sacrificing traction in our moon dust or rim protection. I was considering the 2.2 but I've read that it's actually more like 2". Folks on mtbr seem to think Conti's run small...
    You're gonna be blown away if you thought the nevegal was grippy, not to mention the rolling resistance. Cant say I really agree with the sizing , my 2.2 trail kings are as large volume wise as my 2.4 highroller II's. The conti has smaller side knobs otherwise. Maybe I can snap a picture later.

p.s. black chili compound or bust!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, it fits no problem. My winter tires are TK 2.4 F, MK 2.4 R.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have 2.4 Mountain Kings on my Mojo Sl and they fit easily.

In fact I had my entire frame in bits the other day to give it a decent clean and check over, and excepting the front der cable running behind the seat tube, a 650B would fit easily as there is about 15mm of clearance at full compression..

Also be aware that a wider tyre with proportionally less air will out- roll a narrower one ( with more air) on anything except a smooth road. Win !!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieracer View Post
    I have 2.4 Mountain Kings on my Mojo Sl and they fit easily.

In fact I had my entire frame in bits the other day to give it a decent clean and check over, and excepting the front der cable running behind the seat tube, a 650B would fit easily as there is about 15mm of clearance at full compression..

Also be aware that a wider tyre with proportionally less air will out- roll a narrower one ( with more air) on anything except a smooth road. Win !!
    650b, really? What size Mojo SL do you have? On my medium, if my rear tire was half an inch taller it would rub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    650b, really? What size Mojo SL do you have? On my medium, if my rear tire was half an inch taller it would rub.
    I had my bike in bits the other day and when Iassembling it I checked the tyre to seat tube clearance with zero air in the shock.
    Running the "2.4" Conti Mountain King version 1, I seemed to have almost 20mm clearance with slightly worn tyres. This was with me leaning my entire weight on the saddle. The bump stop on my zero air pressured RP23 seemed to have almost no give: it was not going to compress any further.
    Given that 650B is a 24mm larger diametre (or 12mm larger radius) I think that a 650B version of that same tyre would fit with just a few mm to spare.

**This is assuming that NO front der cable is used, and that the tire is the same height

The closest clearance issue on the chain stays would still appear to be the width, rather than the extra height. I would also guess that the chain stays would get a little more scratched from gravel+ rocks etc. with a 650b tire fitted. Mine shows only a few fine scratches after 4 years.

Hans has mentioned that some shocks do compress a little more than others, and this could be the critical difference between what I found and what you have seen.

cheers

Rob

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The minimum tire clearance on my bike is at the chain stays (not sure what this part of the swing arm is called - the corner closest to the bottom bracket). The top of my tire is about 12 mm from that part of the swing arm. This distance doesn't change as the rear suspension moves. I have a size medium frame, maybe on larger frames there's more clearance there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yep used these for years with no issues but do not make the mistake and think the rubber queen 2.4's will fit as they are huge. What chance do you have when sizes within the same company are never consistent makes me laugh. Cost me 45 quid to find that out though.
    Try the rubber queen as well or mix the two and see how you go.

Grams Light Bikes
    MK 2.4 are not even a big tire, their TK 2.5 on the other hand are big, but they still fit. With 650B tires you need to stay down with the 2.25 and under sizing, otherwise there isn't enough room.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for all the info! I'm going to try a MK II Protection 2.4 in back. I might try a TrailKing up front or maybe just leave my Nevegal UST up there for a while longer and save some $$.