mtbr member
    May 2007

Wide Fast Tyre for a Mojo?

After seeing a few frames with marks from 2.35" Nevegals rubbing I'm a bit paranoid. I'd ideally like some 2.35" Small Block 8s or 2.25" Maxxis Ardents, but both might be a bit close to the stays. Has anyone tried these and how do they compare to 2.35" Nevegals for width?

Any other suggestions would be welcome Something for fast dry, dusty trails, with a bit of country road in there. I'm using 2.35" High Rollers at the mo, but they're a bit narrow and draggy, fancy something a bit smoother and the tread is overkill atm.

www.derbyrims.com
    No problem with rub when I tried 2.35" Small Block 8's. They have poor grip and rear braking traction on dusty dirt hardpack, but clean dust-free packed dirt they are fine. Seems like people like them for a rear tire on sandy dirt and rocky surface a lot.

WTB Mutanoraptors grip much better on dirt and roll a little better too. The 2.4 is very light weight, not recommended for seriously rocky trail. The 2.25 is heavier duty and more average in weight and a long time favorite of hard cornering fast accelerating duel-slalom racers until other brands caught up in rolling and corner grip on dusty packed dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have found the Maxxis Larsen TT to have low profile, awesome grip on rocks and roll fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    WTB Mutanoraptors grip much better on dirt and roll a little better too. The 2.4 is very light weight, not recommended for seriously rocky trail. The 2.25 is heavier duty and more average in weight and a long time favorite of hard cornering fast accelerating duel-slalom racers until other brands caught up in rolling and corner grip on dusty packed dirt.
    Looks like this years 'mutano' tire (formerly the mutano raptor I guess) has a heavier "AM TCS" version with sidewall protection. Might be worth a look. I'm considering one when my current back tire dies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Should add I find tyre choice to be a very individual choice item and the only way is to try many until you find what works for you

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had no problems with a 2.25 Ardent on the back.

mtbr member
    I like Schwalbe Racin Ralph 2,25 Snake Skin

meh
    i have a 2.4 nobby nic currently with no problem, had a 2.35 nevegal with no problem
    dry riding here, mud would possibly be an issue with both of these

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by supersquad3
    I've had no problems with a 2.25 Ardent on the back.
    Ah, interesting. How much clearance is there? How do you find them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    i have a 2.4 nobby nic currently with no problem, had a 2.35 nevegal with no problem
    dry riding here, mud would possibly be an issue with both of these
    Not really. I use Fat Albert 2,25 in winter, that are similar to Nobby Nick, and is a great tyre for mud.
    Before that a used Nevegal 2,10 and they were a good tyre for winter too.

Possibly, 2,35 or 2,40 were biggest for mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use high rollers front and rear and swap to a crossmark 2.1 or 2.25(quite big) when trails are dry and I want a bit less rolling resistance. Give that a try. An ignitor on the back (either 2.1 or 2.35) works very well with a 2.35 Highroller up front. Through the Scottish winter I have run a 2.1 Medusa on the back, now that is a really surprising tyre. No good on smoother rock slabs or grass but awesome when moist through to wet and muddy

Slothful dirt hippie
    Currently rolling a SB8 2.35 in back. It clears, but not with much extra room if they get packed up with mud. Which they have a huge proclivity for. They do well in sand and roll fast, but as has been said before here, they leave a LOT to be desired for braking and cornering traction. I'm not impressed.

I got a WTB Wolverine 2.2 on deep discount that I'll probably put on at some point as an experiment. I've used the new gen Pythons for a few years in the rear and have really liked them- just wish they were a little wider- so maybe the Wolverine will be more of what I'm looking for.

Friend that rode with us a couple weekends ago had some Nobby Nics, and they looked really interesting. I'd be more willing to try them myself if they weren't so darn expensive.

If you're looking for a really reliable dry trail tire, especially for the front, the Panaracer Rampages are REALLY sweet.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Second the Larsen TT, I run 2.35 with Stans and they are super fast. I agree cornering and braking are compromised. When it is wet I usually run 2.35 Maxxis Highrollers UST but I am going to switch to non ust because of the weight.
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    I use the SB 8's for racing only (which they are very good for). They're weak for anything steep and technical (unless conditions are perfect tacky hardpack), and horrible for mud.

I've been all over the map on tires (including Nevegal 2.35s for a long time), and my current favorite for trail riding is the Specialized Eskar Control 2bliss 2.3. Versatile tread pattern for almost all conditions, big air volume, roll well and light. Can easily be run tubeless or w/ tubes. Can't find them cheap like the Nevegals, but I've found they last longer than Nevs, so actually a decent value. Stay away from the S-Works version though...sidewalls too thin.

T.W.O.
    Nobby Nic 2.4 Tube or tubeless, Rocket Ron 2.4

Schwabe said that it's not durable but I've been running them for 18mo now with no issue converted to TL. If you want less knob maybe the RR is a good choice both are sub 600g at least the RR for sure.

flow where ever you go
    I've also had great luck with Nobby Nic converted to tubeless. Very light for the size, good grip in most conditions (until you are down to 1/4 tread and then it gets unpredictable), no flats yet, and VERY fast rolling.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedToasty
    Ah, interesting. How much clearance is there? How do you find them?
    I also run Ardents - 2.25 front and rear. no issues at all with clearance. I haven't run Nevegals on my mojo but I did on my previous bike - the 2.35 Nevegals are a good bit wider than the ardents. The Ardents are way faster rolling and I think they work great - I basically don't think about tyres when I'm riding which is a good sign. Not sure I have much more of a scientific analysis than that. I find them way more confidence inspiring than the El Mocos that came on the mojo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    I've also had great luck with Nobby Nic converted to tubeless. Very light for the size, good grip in most conditions (until you are down to 1/4 tread and then it gets unpredictable), no flats yet, and VERY fast rolling.
    I've been wanting to try the Nobby Nic's, but dang those puppies are expensive. They retail for like $70, which seems ridiculous for an accessory I burn through so quickly. About the lowest I've seen them for from a reputable source is $55 plus shipping, and that is rare (and still pretty pricey). If you (noshortcuts, or anyone else) have a good source for these, please do share.

T.W.O.
    I felt the same way but at the time excavator was $40 and NN was $57 i figure 2 tires $34 difference and last about 6 months or more if I don't cut it. Only come to a few bucks a months difference. Furthermore that's the only thing connect me to the trail, I figure I tried. It's been great.
    I wasted tons of dough on useless tires before even when they are on sales still come to about $30-40 a pair. Why not get premium.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    I've been wanting to try the Nobby Nic's, but dang those puppies are expensive. They retail for like $70, which seems ridiculous for an accessory I burn through so quickly. About the lowest I've seen them for from a reputable source is $55 plus shipping, and that is rare (and still pretty pricey). If you (noshortcuts, or anyone else) have a good source for these, please do share.
    true that - they cost way too much. I go to Universal.com with VIP10 or VIP15 discount coupons which gets you 10-15% off of $55-60 for the tire - still too much for a bike tire. By the way: I checked and they are currently out of them .

Edit: actually, snakeskin version is out of stock. Regular is in: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=10307

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    rocket ron on the back and nobby nic up front 2.25 perfect.
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drapper
    rocket ron on the back and nobby nic up front 2.25 perfect.
    How is the durability of the RocketRon so far. I've been thinking about putting 2.4 on the rear. and NN stays in the front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you ride very rocky trails and are considering the Ardent's, you may want to wait for the exo-protection version, at least for the rear. I love the tire and how it handles, but tore the sidewall on the rear pretty quickly. My local trail is just that rocky. I can't speak to how they work on a Mojo (yet) but others have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nobby Nic in the back did pick up quite a few rocks and thwak the frame. The best tire if you like big meat that's light. SB 8's in 2.35 are fine for me if your a tubeless low pressure type. Currently on Geax TnT AKA's 2.2 and though they don't seem to be what you're looking for they do impress me with light wt and predictable slip. Thought I'd throw Geax a bone here for a good tire.