mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Wide carbon rims, brought to you by Ibis!

Who, I might add, are basically officially endorsing running lower pressures. Love. +1.

Too bad they don't make a 26er version :-/

Hot News: Ibis launches line of ultra-wide carbon wheels | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member

Great! Suddenly my Syntace W35s aren't so wide anymore.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

Lightly salted
    Also bummed about the no 26" wheels. Oh we'll.

Off the back...
    Dollars to doughnuts, Light-Bicycle has 26" hookless 40mm rims out by the end of the year for $175. Hookless is easier to mold than hooked, and they seem to be able to hit the niche markets effectively.

P.S.: The Ibis hubs look pretty standard, with easily-replaced J-bend spokes. Good choice, as there's no reason to reinvent the wheel here.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Derby is going to make a 26" version. We figured that would cover people who wanted carbon + wide + 26" hookless.

We could make one, we just assumed that because 26" bikes have gotten crushed in sales by 650B recently, that the market would be pretty limited.

Hans
    source:
    New ibis coming Monday!
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Dollars to doughnuts, Light-Bicycle has 26" hookless 40mm rims out by the end of the year for $175. Hookless is easier to mold than hooked, and they seem to be able to hit the niche markets effectively.

P.S.: The Ibis hubs look pretty standard, with easily-replaced J-bend spokes. Good choice, as there's no reason to reinvent the wheel here.
    Pretty sure you just won a dougnut.

Browsing the LB thread below the 26'er Wider page (I think it is that thread, posted prob. 6 months ago) they mention they are making a custom wider rim for somebody. At the time an email confirmed it is 40mm and they referred me to the distributor.

Edit:
    From this link:
    wider mtb 26er carbon bike rim 26 inch rims(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

Here's the comment I followed up on by email to confirm they are 40mm wide:

2012-11-28

Mark :

Can you make this wheel in a 50mm width? The fat tire MTB community needs a light rim that is also wide. Thanks!
    2012-11-29

Support :

Hello Mark, Thanks for your inquiry. One of our customer is designing wide rim, but it will take quite a long time to test. He will let us manufacture the rims for him. And once the rims are ready, you can order from him. Thanks, Light-bicycle
    Last edited by ca_rider; 04-07-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    Pretty sure you just won a dougnut.

Browsing the LB thread below the 26'er Wider page (I think it is that thread, posted prob. 6 months ago) they mention they are making a custom wider rim for somebody. At the time an email confirmed it is 40mm and they referred me to the distributor.
    Holy cats - I must have ESPN!
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jeez I am underwhelmed

Norđwegr
    Someone on a Norwegian site said there was mention of a Ripley HD in the release for the wheelset, but that it was edited away later.

Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    On Facebook MTBR said that Derby are looking into releasing 26" rims, essentially the same since they shared tooling.
    Last edited by Vegard; 04-08-2014 at 01:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Just wondering how the 941 will play with the limited tire clearance on the Ripley. Which tyres have been tested and checked ok?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    In my opinion, Ibis didn't design the 941 to work well with the current Ripley. I'd bet we are going to see a burlier, longer travel 29er from them very soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For years we've had wheels of internal width 19-21 mm, all of sudden Ibis produces 29" carbon, internal width of 35 mm, with a rather heavy weight of 1770g. A set of carbon wheels with internal width, say, 25 mm with a 200 g reduction in weight would have been great for Ripley.

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    That is more or less what the 928 model is. 22mm internal, 190g less.

Aimed more at the xc/endurance race crowd I would guess at 22mm.

Off the back...
    Wide wheel ride review from NSMB: Ibis Wide Carbon Rims: Ride Review - NSMB.com
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Wide wheel ride review from NSMB: Ibis Wide Carbon Rims: Ride Review - NSMB.com
    Nice review, loving wide rims and low pressure. It does really work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka dan51
    Wish I could buy rims only right now. I have a set of I9 hubs waiting for them...

Mtb Guide
    After reading that NSMB review definitely more interested!

Ive been preaching wider rims for years surprised its taken so long, now Enve, Ibis have dropped in on Derby, the rims do look nicely finished.

I like the concept of where Ibis are going with the hubs, just struggling with them as an option and complete builds definitely limiting at this stage, colours for one, plus I don't trust anyone but my own wheel builder to build a wheel to std I like.

Still looks great on paper and the more pushing this the better, SP has been on lower pressures for ages and everyone was poo pooing him, now you know why, its alway about width and girth not length!

Good work Ibis, now do a rim only option asap!

banned
    Feb 2012
    Why don't you get the rims from Derby directly? It is the same design and Derby stands behind his product. Apparently, Ibis is not offering rims only in order not to kill his business.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Why don't you get the rims from Derby directly? It is the same design and Derby stands behind his product. Apparently, Ibis is not offering rims only in order not to kill his business.
    But they don't have Ibis stickers on them

mtbr member
    I e-mail Derby the other day about getting these rims from him and he pointed out that they are not the same design and that he would not be selling them. When you look closer at the 29'r rim specs, Derby's are 35mm OD/29mm ID, IBIS' are 41mm OD/35mm ID.

banned
    Feb 2012
    You are right, the 29er rims are different, my bad. I live in the 650b dream world where the wide rims from both vendors are pretty much the same thing.

Whatever
    One thing I have yet to see is any info about engagement on the hubs. I have a nice set of I9 wheels with carbon rims that I love. Does anyone know the mechanism they use for the freehub?

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker View Post
    One thing I have yet to see is any info about engagement on the hubs. I have a nice set of I9 wheels with carbon rims that I love. Does anyone know the mechanism they use for the freehub?
    The freehub is a quality 6 pawl system (3 pairs) with 15 degree engagement. The hubs are said to be within a few grams of the DT Swiss 240 hubs which are some of the lighter mountain bike hubs out there.

Stihacka, not sure if you aiming at me re rims, Derby are one of my first choices, but they're are subtle enough differences Id be interested to look at Ibis rims, Derby have impressed me with they're service and quality as well, either way as much as I like Enve, they're killing me price wise, so both these look like great choices and I do like the stickers, especially Scott's Orange HDR and rims now thats off the hook aye

Options is always a better way to do business, already making the wheel should be easier to supply the rims, unless trying to force people into a system intergration & Shimano proved how good that was aye.

Options options options, like houses, location location location!!

Anyway I might want a set of Derbys and Ibis rims

aka dan51
    NOX has released their AM29 wheels, and can be built with your hub choice.
    I9 with 29mm internal width... 1620 grams for $1550. I bet the Ibis hub choice is good, but a pair of US made I9s or CKs is going to get my $.
    Nox Composites Carbon MTB Rims and Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does anybody now if an Rockshox RS-1 option (torque tube compatibility) will be available for the 928 and 941 wheelset?
    DT Swiss had already unveiled the option in the Spline-1 (DT Swiss Spline 1 RS1 - Fotoalbum auf MTB-News.de).

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Would a wider rim be weaker or would the extra height counter this?

Too Much Fun

Weaker how?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar81 View Post
    Would a wider rim be weaker or would the extra height counter this?
    That depends on which definition of weaker you're thinking of. Overall structural integrity or impact strength or...?

It's like most tube-shaped forms AFAIK, in that it's a matter of putting material where you need it/don't need it, which carbon is great at, in the hands of a good engineer who knows how to use it.

Apparently the hookless rim designs are stronger then beaded also. YMMV, this stuff is so new, but I doubt Ibis would ever knowingly push out something that was weaker then existing tech.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    That depends on which definition of weaker you're thinking of. Overall structural integrity or impact strength or...?

It's like most tube-shaped forms AFAIK, in that it's a matter of putting material where you need it/don't need it, which carbon is great at, in the hands of a good engineer who knows how to use it.

Apparently the hookless rim designs are stronger then beaded also. YMMV, this stuff is so new, but I doubt Ibis would ever knowingly push out something that was weaker then existing tech.
    Impact strength is what I'm thinking about for sure but I suppose with any thing carbon built it's the way they lay it that counts and I'd agree with you about Ibis not skipping on design or material. Looking forward to these.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just built up a set of nextie bike carbon hoops with a 35mm external width, laced to hope pro 2 eve hubs and the final wright is 1680g, thats with swanky dt swiss super comp spokes and 40pt engagement hubs. Can't wait to throw them on the rip'