Thread: wicked stems?

mtbr member

wicked stems?

I need a odd stem for my bike, high rise short reach. I have a long torso and would like to open up my riding position. I have used kore, ibis, azonic, and ringle. I broke the handlebar mount plate on two Ringle stems. You would have thought I would have learned the first time. Anyway, I am only aware of the old school companies and which to avoid. Anything new and wicked in the stem world? I have searched the forum for this DH type stem and found some FUNN offerings. So I respectfully ask your opinions on AM or DH stem recommendations.
    Thanks

Geritol Power

Alabama R&D

Just carve one out of a red brick you silly. There not just for fork modifications you know.

mtbr member
    Syncros has some sweet offerings.
    Kinda spendy, but really nice.

www.syncros.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    In case you like stuff made in Germany and both extremely tough yet light then check this one out:

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1518

Syntace products are available from a number of US companies.

mtbr member

Straitline

Straitline.Go no further.

mtbr member
    Of the options named, only carving one out of a brick will get me over 12 degrees of rise. Is this funn stem a terd? Heavier than my brick option?
    My dream stem should have 20 degrees of rise, length of 65mm, made of carbon, helium filled, and doubles as a vagina. Any recommendations?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Penis maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama
    ...and doubles as a vagina. Any recommendations?
    I am not so sure about the use of a stem as a vagina, but it is obviously very well positioned to serve as a penis ... anything round and smooth without much protruding bolts will do ...

mtbr member
    Alabama:

How much of a weight weenie you are? If you don't mind a little bit of added weight may I recommend an adjustable Syntace VRO stem. Size S (55-105 mm) with 20deg angle might be correct size for your application.

I've used the Syntace VRO stem and Syntace carbon handlebar combination for a few years now and it's great. VRO system makes it very easy to adjust your riding position and the stem is very strong. Only downside of the system is the weight. My size M stem + clamps weighs 214 g. The riser handlebar weighs 170 g and my previous non-riser Syntace handlebar weighed 140 g.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=427

Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    check out the Hope stems...1 piece forged bla bla bla (similar to the thompson) and they look sweet too. rated in mtbUK magazine as their fave stem a few months ago. mine is a 25 degree rise, with 70mm.

mtbr member
    Porti's black cock 'n balls stem seems to meet you standards Davide . Portti I have a WTFSL so I do not have to be a WW. In fact, I can hang bricks off my bike and still be under 25lbs. thus, stem weight is a non-issue. The syntace is for sure odd but it seems logical. Crapaccount the Hope is perfect!!! It meets every one of my criteria except well you know the vag and helium.
    I really appreciate your replies, now its time to order the Hope. thanks guys!

Geritol Power

Well Alabama....

Lets see it! post a picture of the future stem of phalusness. Or a link would be cool, then we know where the deal is!

EDIT: http://www.hopetechusa.com/voir_ST25050O.html

Nice stems. Good match for my Hope brakes on my Preston.

http://www.blackspire.com/stems/nort...-freeride-stem

That one looks good too bobAustin
    Last edited by Duzitall; 02-02-2008 at 05:58 PM.

boba
    Dec 2007

Perfect stem

Hi Alabama...Blackspire makes a series of stems. The "Shore" is an All Mountain, XC or Freeride stem. Very strong and the finish is beautiful. It comes in 70/80/90mm length in 0/10/or 20 degree rise. An 80/20 might work for you. I use a 70mm/20 on my Gemini. They are lilght and have a machined finish...and are not expensive. They are available in the US as well as Canada.

Bob...Vancouver Island.

mtbr member
    Hey Bob! Did you decide to keep your gemini? Did you guys get your new bikes?

Its been good to go between my Gem and Mojo. When I ride the Mojo I miss the plush coils and massive kendas, when I ride the Gem I blister the DH but suck everywhere else. I cannot help but to inject some DH DNA into WTFSL. I'm trying to eliminate the big rig but I just cannot get my descent speed where it needs to be with my current mojo setup.
    Hence, the Blackspire looks sharp. Ease of getting your bum off the back of the mojo has been one of the more unexpected badass traits of this frame. I think a 80/20 - 80/25 will enhance this trait. So far, keeping the front planted has been a non-issue so I am hoping for no unexpected side effects.
    Anyway, so many cool stems, I afraid my LBS vendor list might be the ultimate decision maker in what stem I order. Does Huffy make a good stem? Sometimes being loyal to your LBS is very hard.