mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Who is running 160 mm front disc?

I've recently joined the Ibis owners club with the purchase of a White Mojo SL.

It came with 180 mm front rotor and despite being a larger size mtb rider (let's say 95 kg or 210 lb) , I run 160 mm on my other bikes and am happy with that. Trawling through the SL topic, I notice many are fitted with 180 mm front.

So my question is, who of similar weight is riding with a 160 mm front disc?

Dropshot Champ!
    I'm over 200lbs geared up on a mojo classic. I run a 160 front and rear without problems.

On longer high-speed runs like Downieville, I'll get some fade near the bottom of some of the faster stuff (elixir cr's), but it's only for a few spots and I know when it will happen.

Works great, give it a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 02GF74 View Post
    I've recently joined the Ibis owners club with the purchase of a White Mojo SL.

It came with 180 mm front rotor and despite being a larger size mtb rider (let's say 95 kg or 210 lb) , I run 160 mm on my other bikes and am happy with that. Trawling through the SL topic, I notice many are fitted with 180 mm front.

So my question is, who of similar weight is riding with a 160 mm front disc?
    Seems strange, mo front brake, mo better. I run a 203 in the front and a 160 in the rear, I weigh the same but use the front pretty intensely

Rogue Exterminator
    Before disk brakes, 210 lb riders rode with V-brakes and they were fine.

I may be lighter but I have never felt my mech disk brakes w/160mm front and rear were ever insufficient. I have have hydros on my fs bike w/180mm front and eventually plan on upgrading the ht to the same. Hydros because I like the feel and the 180 more so I can swap parts back and forth with ease.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You could definitely get away with 160, but it wouldn't be ideal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    As the man said, mo front brake, mo betta. If the weight difference bothers you that much, consider buying a road bike

www.derbyrims.com
    Rotor size is a tradeoff about power and cooling vs weight. I'm 200+ lbs, and on some longer hard braking downhills I've virtually lost brakes with 160mm rotors of various brands, I had firm levers, but no power and smoking semi-metal sintered pads... 180mm rotor size is the minimum for some of my ride conditions, front and rear.

Personally, I like same size rotors front and rear for similar lever power, and use my hands to power which ends needs it most, and use my stronger right hand's index finger for the front brake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    riding style and terrain, which I forgot to mention, are a decinding factor. I am more XC rider so don't go petling at full whack down hills - plus there are not many big hills local to me. I've not experienced brake fade, in fact, if I look at my discs, none of them have blued.

Dropshot Champ!
    Yeah i don't think anyone is doing it for weight savings haha. I say go for it. It's a cheap experiment. If you need more brake, swap back!

aka dan51
    I went from a 203 to 185 on my Mojo. The biggest thing I noticed was how much harder I have to squeeze the lever with the smaller rotor. I dropped to a smaller one purely for weight savings, which turned out to be so minimal that I may go back to better braking with the large rotor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

More Torque
    I'm about 200, and I started off with 160s on the Mojo, and it was ok with two finger braking. When I switched to one finger braking, along with the newer/shorter Shimano XT levers, I had to go to a 180 on the front, in order to get a comparable level of braking performance.

-D

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I tried a 160 RT76 in the rear on my HD (to save weight and not use an adapter) and ended up turning my magura blue fluid yellowish - 210lbs and love to descend.

While in Whistler with 203/180 the rear literally smoked on a very long fire road descend - granted I wasn't using a magura but an aftermarket pad in the rear which taught me to never do that again - and melted all over the disk. I now run 203/203 for park ridding (and magura pads), or 180/180 for everyday trail/AM rides.

But it all depends on what you ride and weight (and brake types). Not worth the (tiny) weight to me...