mtbr member

Who owns an older steel Mojo?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I have the opportunity to puchase one. What are your thoughts on the ride?

One thing however, the rear drops have been converted to single speed (see pic) and I was thinking of having it brought back to the original "geared" drop outs by a local frame builder. Is this worth it?? It's also got some bad chain suck gouges... will this compromise frame integrity??

I've heard good things about these frames but would like some feedback as to how to proceed. (pros and cons perhaps)?

Thanks.

ibisSSdrops.jpg
    ibischainstay.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    The reason I'm asking this question is because I have the opportunity to puchase one. What are your thoughts on the ride?

One thing however, the rear drops have been converted to single speed (see pic) and I was thinking of having it brought back to the original "geared" drop outs by a local frame builder. Is this worth it?? It's also got some bad chain suck gouges... will this compromise frame integrity??

I've heard good things about these frames but would like some feedback as to how to proceed. (pros and cons perhaps)?

Thanks.
    I have a 2000 Mojo, I love the ride quality. I put a Fox F80RLT on it last year, but it's taken a back seat this season so far to a Trek Fuel I just bought (I know, but I can't wrap my brain around a full carbon frame for offroad. But that's another conversation ).

As for the chain suck, I also have a 93 SS with more chain suck damage than that, and it's never been of any concern to me. The real question, IMO, is whether you want it to be a dedicated singlespeed, and the quality of the conversion. I have an eccentric ENO wheel built up that I've used on the 93, but I may put it on the '00 and make it a dedicated singlespeed. I just need to find some friends to go single with me as well, as I hate being the only one in a group with one gear.

mtbr member
    I have an older Ibis Steel frame as well. I love how the thing rides, I am running it as a single speen right now. By using a ENO hub, I have no idea why anyone would cut a great frame like this to make a single speed. I would wait to see if you could find another one that has not been taken and hacked up to make a single speed. The chain suck on the frame is not that bad, no worries there really.