Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Who makes Ibis hubs? "Speed Tuned XM"

I am sure they are joytech or novatec but would love to do a little research on them to see if they are worth keeping on my wheel rebuild

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The wheels are built by a company called Stay-Tru (Sta-Tru Wheels - Serving the Bicycle Trade for Over 25 years)

I had to order some hub adapters for my wheelset and Ibis gave me their contact info.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Helpful - thanks! any color on how good the hubs are? the sta-tru website is a little light on details

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd also be interested in any information on the quality of these XM/sta-tru hubs. The Ibis bikes seem pretty expensive to be having no-name hubs, IMHO. I'd feel better about the price if I knew that I could expect to use them for a while at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

speed tune free wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Jkon View Post
    I'd also be interested in any information on the quality of these XM/sta-tru hubs. The Ibis bikes seem pretty expensive to be having no-name hubs, IMHO. I'd feel better about the price if I knew that I could expect to use them for a while at least.
    Brand new speed toon free wheel failed in less than 200 miles. Pawl spring design seems inadequate, maybe a hardness issue with the pawls themselves as well. The pawls are in three pairs and all had obvious deformation and breakage. Free floating metal then damaged the hub itself. Bummer to be off a brand new bike due to failure in what should be one of the most robust components. MFG has completely stepped up with complete wheel replacement for LBS....riding old bike today with DT Swiss hubs......

mtbr member
    According to my local Ibis dealer, the Speed Tuned hubs are made by Novatec / aka Joy-Tech. So they are likely rebranded novatec hubs (which are actually light, good hubs). It's possible that sta-tru is handling the wheel builds, or perhaps they are also a subsidiary of Joy-Tech.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    don't know what wheels you are building, but when you can get a set for $380 shipped from UK using Hope Pro2 Evo + Stan Flow EX (which I love running tubeless, are really wide too) and even pick custom hub colors (for $100 LESS than CRC which would not give me 150x12 or color option), I decided not to bother building a set...

I got one for my HD (110x20, 135x10 ~1850g) and using one for my Glory DH bike as well! (200+lbs rider) (110x20, 150x12 ~1900gr). received the wheels in 7 days to west coast (held 3+ days in NY customs) from those guys:

Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 26inch Front Wheel | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 26inch Rear Wheel | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    Hope Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 26inch Rear Wheel 12x150mm | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK

very happy with my set and that order. Wheels holding great to 7 days of Whistler abuse on DH bike so far, and light!
    (had use my Mojo HD as my mini DH last year with same wheels - 15 days not a problem).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    joy tech hubs are notoriously bad. why spec such cheapo stuff that it has to be "rebranded" something else?
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't know anything about the Speed Tune/Novatec/ Joy Tech relationship. However, I've had nothing but good luck with 2 sets of Ibis wheels and stock Joy tech hubs. I've also rented HD's in Sedona and Moab where their gear sees unimaginable abuse and still found them to be trouble free. They are nothing to write home about in terms of weight or engagement but I've found them to be very reliable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    joy tech hubs are notoriously bad. why spec such cheapo stuff that it has to be "rebranded" something else?
    Joy-tech is huge company that manufactures hubs for both cheap and high end companies. To label everything Joy-tech makes as "notoriously bad" is naive at best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iraconn View Post
    Brand new speed toon free wheel failed in less than 200 miles. Pawl spring design seems inadequate, maybe a hardness issue with the pawls themselves as well. The pawls are in three pairs and all had obvious deformation and breakage. Free floating metal then damaged the hub itself. Bummer to be off a brand new bike due to failure in what should be one of the most robust components. MFG has completely stepped up with complete wheel replacement for LBS....riding old bike today with DT Swiss hubs......
    The typical cause of this is an incorrect bearing adjustment from new. If you look at the broken pawls, and each of the three is broken in half at the parting line, that is the likely cause.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    The typical cause of this is an incorrect bearing adjustment from new. If you look at the broken pawls, and each of the three is broken in half at the parting line, that is the likely cause.
    This was likely my issue. My rear bearing preload was a bit loose, I ignored it and now my free hub has broken pawls.

Does anyone know where to get replacement parts for these speed tuned hubs?

Thanks!

Too Much Fun
    Ping Ibis and they should be able to help get you sorted.

There's a handy sticky thread with their contact info.

And FWIW, I think the Speed Tuned stuff is not half bad for generic gear. It's not Chris King, but it's certainly not junk.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks. I sent them an email...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone have accurate hub specs for calculating spokes for these hubs?
    (Flange diameter, center, etc)
    Got a pair cheap, looking to order spokes ASAP.
    Thanks!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I got a question. I am sure it is answered in a thread somewhere but I am currently too lazy to search. Perhaps someone can chime in. Is the 15mm front hub convertible to 20mm? If so where do I get the adapters?
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    I got a question. I am sure it is answered in a thread somewhere but I am currently too lazy to search. Perhaps someone can chime in. Is the 15mm front hub convertible to 20mm? If so where do I get the adapters?
    Ibis web store has them:

Wheel Parts ? Ibis Cycles Online Store

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You are riding the sweetest frame design on the market, ever manu cuts corners somewhere or you would pay double for that sexy ride. Treat yourself to a set of DT swiss 240's and never look back. The bike deserves it.
    When I got my SL 3 years ago, I pulled everything not to my liking, sold it cheap and installed the good stuff. 100's of miles later no issues, not ONE.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My rear free hub piled up after 3 months....should get some warranty but it will only ever be a spare wheel as I'm buying I-9's to replace it.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Ibis web store has them:

Wheel Parts ? Ibis Cycles Online Store

H
    Hans,

That link to the Ibis store says that the axle conversion kits are not for the currently used Speed Tuned hubs. Do you have any information on conversion kits for the Speed Tuned hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ibis does not stock the parts.

Stay-Tru link:

Sta-Tru Wheels - Serving the Bicycle Trade for Over 25 years

The Speed Tune hubs are supplied by Stay-Tru and they can be converted from 15 to 9mm, but not from 15 - 20mm thru axle. The rear can be 135 x 10 or 142 x 12.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That is a horrible website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Can a Speed Tuned rear 142 bolt thru hub be converted to a 135mm quick release?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by w1lksy View Post
    Can a Speed Tuned rear 142 bolt thru hub be converted to a 135mm quick release?

Thanks.
    Yes. We have the parts in stock. They are not in the web store though... Contact warranty@ibiscycles.com and we'll get you some!

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the quick response!

I'm in the UK. Can I get them from somewhere over here, or could you guys supply me with the parts to convert the hub?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast