Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680

    Where's the best deal on a Tranny?

    I'm looking for a large Tranny, preferably in matte/clear. Jensons is my LBS but I'd rather not pay %140 in tax. Thanks. Used but not abused is fine too.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    355
    competitive cyclist. i bought my SL there. excellent store
    -----
    some drink from the fountain of knowledge...
    others just piss on it..

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c-wal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    283
    Ive seen some trannies in and around SF that looked pretty cheap .

    Sorry couldnt resist.
    There is a shop in NorCal (Milpitas) that have had a couple of mediums hanging on the wall for a long time.

    What kind of deal is CC giving?

  4. #4
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanks for the quick responses. It looks like I'll save 80 bucks having it shipped vs. instant gratification. My ebay search has been dry for nearly two weeks, but I'm going to let it ride until Monday.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    81
    Bangkok would be a good place to start looking and you'll get a holiday too. lol

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    61
    Strange...usually there are a few Tranny's on eBay. Not a single one now.

    Are you looking for just the frame or complete bike?

    Usually on eBay you get a complete bike. I managed to get a small Tranny frame for about $800 a couple months ago. If you're patient maybe you could find a large.

    If you go the new route I second Competitive Cyclist. They have been great for anything I ordered from them.

  7. #7
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppyart View Post
    Strange...usually there are a few Tranny's on eBay. Not a single one now.

    Are you looking for just the frame or complete bike?

    Usually on eBay you get a complete bike. I managed to get a small Tranny frame for about $800 a couple months ago. If you're patient maybe you could find a large.

    If you go the new route I second Competitive Cyclist. They have been great for anything I ordered from them.
    I'm looking for a either a frame or complete bike. A nice deal on a large complete bike with a singlespeed build would be perfect. I'm going to let my saved search on ebay ride for another week.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  8. #8
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,543
    yeah watch ebay, there have been a bunch up as of late. Wait a few weeks, more will show.

    It sure seems like nobody is buying the used ones. Price didn't seem that high, maybe people are just moving to 29ers

  9. #9
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'm looking for a either a frame or complete bike. A nice deal on a large complete bike with a singlespeed build would be perfect. I'm going to let my saved search on ebay ride for another week.
    They are few and far between, but they do crop up. I've been watching for almost a year and most listings are for complete bikes.

  10. #10
    Junior flyer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,502
    I got mine off Ebay last month. It was a (very lightly) used demo bike. You might try emailing shops that demo them...

    Btw- I'm loving mine, although I'm still working out a few squeaks!
    Why?

    Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

  11. #11
    Lindsay
    Reputation: Once_Upon_A_Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I got mine off Ebay last month. It was a (very lightly) used demo bike. You might try emailing shops that demo them...

    Btw- I'm loving mine, although I'm still working out a few squeaks!
    no such thing as a slightly used demo.

  12. #12
    Junior flyer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,502
    ^^ The tires still had their little nubs, and it barely had a blemish. It sure wasn't abused!
    Why?

    Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    DV, did you get the demo from Tryon Bike? I stopped by to look at it and was going to pick it up, but you got it before I had enough cash. That was a super-clean demo, bordering on brand new. Still hope to pick one up.

  14. #14
    Junior flyer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,502
    ^^ Rider- That's the one! Sorry to snatch it out from under your nose; I didn't think it would last too long!

    Keep looking--it's an excellent all-round bike. I'm still working out some creak issues, but it's got me ready to sell my S-works Stumpy (although I wouldn't mind having a Mojo, too).
    Last edited by dirtvert; 05-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    Why?

    Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

  15. #15
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    Bump- 29er is the way to go
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •