Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thread Killer

Where should I order my HD frame from?

I plan on putting together a HD. Who should I order my frame from? Or should I try to get one from a LBS?
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    order one from out of state to save sales tax

mtbr member
    Always get one from your lbs if you can. That way they can help build and or deal with issues that come up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    +1 ^^^This gets my vote. Saving money is the best. Why give it to the government? Besides, It's not that difficult to ask questions on mtbr.com and receive free advice, or to do a Google search to find out what you need to know if a problem arises.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    That is definitely an option I've thought about, I guess I just need to call around and see who has one on hand?

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Always get one from your lbs if you can. That way they can help build and or deal with issues that come up.
    This is sound advice, there are quite a few dealers in my area. I plan on using them during my build, and for any service that I can't take care of.

Thread Killer
    Anyone have an idea of how long of a lead time is there when you order from a website, like jensen, comp cyclist, etc.?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    LBS vs. Interwebs could go either way IMO for an Ibis.

If your comfortable working on bikes, and wouldn't normally have them work on it, Interwebs might be okay.

LBS's are nice for warranty, though. They can sometimes pull some strings to stretch the terms.

I'd go to your LBS and see what they offer with the bike. I know the Ibis dealer closest to me offers a yearly tune up, and free lifetime adjustments. I consider myself a half decent mechanic and I normally do all my work by myself, but sometimes it's nice to have a shop to go to for extra help (did this recently when I couldn't get my rear deregulator adjusted. Turned out to be a bent hanger. Shop fixed with their fancy tool while I waited. No charge).

Personally I think it's worth it if you get the yearly tune/adjustments deal if you'd rather not deal with that. Yearly tune will run you $75-ish bucks. So for your average HD Build your talking about 4 years to break even there (on the tax you'd pay). If you only plan on keeping the bike for 2 years, or if you don't mind doing that yourself then that deal goes out the window.

Bottom line, even if you want to tune the bike yourself, if your LBS can get close to what you'd pay on the internet...I'd go with the LBS.

mtbr member
    Well one reason I like using a local bike shop is the repore. Yes it might be a little more pricey at times, but my shop is not much more pricey than the online retailers if at all. Gone are the days of saving a ton online. Local bike shops know what's online, and know they cannot overcharge anymore or they lose customers. Plus I am helping that business out that is or might be close by. Not only that, but if you continue to buy from them, you start developing a relationship with them. This is key when I need something, or need a tune right away when 10 bikes are in front of me and I need it done fast. When they look on their computers and see I have spent over 10k at their shop, I tend to come first. I'm not saying I have or have not done that or that happens, but when I need stuff, they always treat me really well and get things done quickly. You never want to tell a loyal client "we can't do that right now". When you order online, you do so through a company that more than likely you will never visit. To me it's clear, but that's not always the case. Do what you feel comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme gerbil team View Post
    I'm spec'ing a Mojo HD right now.

For me there is no value in purchasing though an LBS.

Yearly tune/adjustments have no value. I've always worked on my bikes and built/tuned as needed.

Even buying at MSRP places like Competitive Cyclist are 8.25 % cheaper than buying local (not including shipping of course but shipping is not $200+).

When you consider a high end build kit can be ordered from universalcycles at 15% off + no sales tax (8.25%) the $1k+ savings makes "buying local" look pretty foolish.

That's a lot of beer that can by bought with the savings...
    There is a business and people you are employing locally by paying a little more at a bike shop. I tend to think of that as a good thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme gerbil team View Post
    That's a lot of beer that can by bought with the savings...
    Local jobs, and good karma versus urine, tough choice.

OP: Pay it forward or at least go and see what the LBS can do for you, give them a chance to meet you halfway or there abouts. OP was suggesting ordering the bits on line and asking the LBS to do the build, might be an idea if the LBS can't compete on price. Run it by them.

mtbr member
    i order fox forks and ibis frames from here now on: Rochester Bike Shop | Tryon Bike
    CS is wonderful and way more responsive than shops I used in the past.
    and the local guys are *****. ***** in a 10% tax zone... winning combo.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Talk to Charlie at Cal Coast Bicycles (San Diego, ca). He will hook you up and ship out of State, sans sales tax. Are you looking for a medium frame? may have one for you. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Try the Bikeco.com, ask for Kara.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixsun View Post
    i order fox forks and ibis frames from here now on: Rochester Bike Shop | Tryon Bike

Thanks for the link, your last sentence is very true.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Talk to Charlie at Cal Coast Bicycles (San Diego, ca). He will hook you up and ship out of State, sans sales tax. Are you looking for a medium frame? may have one for you. Send me a PM.
    Thanks for the contact. I'm looking for a Large frame.

mtbr member
    Competitive cyclist... Good prices(will come down some off of the posted price)..No tax and comes with a NO questions asked 60 return policy(that was the thing that i liked best).. Order the wrong size stem-- send it back them and get the right one.. That is what i did when i got my bike through them.. I liked having that no questions asked guarantee with the bike--- -cause i have gotten other bikes in the past, then after riding them for a bit i found out i didn't like this part or that part.. With competitive-- id just send back and get the part i wanted.. It ensures you end up with the bike you want..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    Try the Bikeco.com, ask for Kara.

Thanks for the contact info.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by slideways666 View Post
    Competitive cyclist... Good prices(will come down some off of the posted price)..No tax and comes with a NO questions asked 60 return policy(that was the thing that i liked best).. Order the wrong size stem-- send it back them and get the right one.. That is what i did when i got my bike through them.. I liked having that no questions asked guarantee with the bike--- -cause i have gotten other bikes in the past, then after riding them for a bit i found out i didn't like this part or that part.. With competitive-- id just send back and get the part i wanted.. It ensures you end up with the bike you want..
    Good info, how long did it take to get your bike? Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago. On my Mojo HD custom build, Fanatik Bike Co was the most responsive and also had the best price out of all the 'internet' retailers I got a price from.

In the end, I went with a LBS that was able to come within ~150 of the internet retailers, and since i'm currently in a state with no sales tax, the decision was easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixsun View Post
    i agree. most guys at most local shops a full of themselves. i avoid my lbs if i can. i have found that REI does just as good of a job if you need something done that you can not do yourself and for a fraction of the price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    comp cyclist. look for mike
    -----
    some drink from the fountain of knowledge...
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've recommended WIllamette Mountain Mercantile in Oakridge Oregon on this forum before and I'll do it again. There are a few reasons why I think supporting this shop is a great thing (some of which might apply to other shops and others which don't). It all comes down to providing support to one of the truly special and amazing riding destinations in this country, but here are the two main reasons for me:

1. Economics - Read the stories on Oakridge. The town has suffered terribly since the timber industry dried up and there are good people there trying to make the mtb/outdoor recreation thing work. But its been slow going because things are out of the way. Buying a bike from those guys is a big deal and willl really mean something to them.

2. Trails - There are hundreds of miles of pristine single track in Oakridge that require both active maintenance and protection. The guys at the bike shop put in a ton of hours to make those trails so good. There's really not very many people in the area, so the trails depend on that maintenance. It's not a place like Fruita, Moab, Bend, Sun Valley, etc where there are 5 plus bike shops in town and 150 cars at the trailhead every nice weekend. Supporting the shop supports the trails and those are trails that everyone should take a trip to ride at least once.

Give them a call, they'll have plenty of time to chat about your needs and can usually get bikes from Ibis in really short order. No sales tax in Oregon.

Wait for me!
    If your planning on building from scratch, shop your LBS to work a package deal. They can usually work something out for you (if they're not ***** as stated above). There is a big margin in those frames, I know the shop needs to make money but there is no way I would ever pay MSRP for a frame. Dealer cost on a Mojo HD is anywhere between $1400-$1700 depending on how much volume the dealer does with Ibis. I personally paid $2000 OTD for my frame from my LBS, I got such a good deal because the owner knows I'll be back with another $3500+ for the rest of the parts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardluckhero View Post
    Good info, how long did it take to get your bike? Thanks for the post.
    I ordered it-- they said they had a new shipment of frames coming in about 3 days--- which it did come in.. They built it right -- and shipped it off.. So from order to ship was 4 days.. If they had the frame in stock(which they normally do) it would have been order one day -- build the next and ship.. But if you talk to them they were great with communication-- so they would be straight up with you from the start..

The guy that was my rep there spent lots of time with me to make sure i was happy with my build-- priced out different options etc.. All this after i was practically begging my lbs to find out a few questions on the bike i was looking at getting from them(An $8k)... After them flaking time and time again-- i went with Competitive and ill NEVER buy my bikes from my lbs again.. Great prices-- quick responses--no tax-- and 60 day no questions asked.. Dude-- i never had such a good experience buying a bike.. Usually you buy it and then realize i dont like this or that.. Anything i didnt like they swapped out and got me what i wanted.. 100% satisfied..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast