mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Where are the Mojo's built?

I heard that the Mojo is being built in China. Any truth to that?
    I'm concernd with the quality of the craftmanship in China. I've seen them make some scary knock off stuff.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They are made in China. Search the Ibis forum and you can find lengthy discussions on the subject. There's nothing scary about the quality of these frames. Top notch

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Made in China

Thanks for the response, I'll try to fine the thread.
    I'm OK with Ibis doing thier best to make a great product. I'm just concerned with their ability to control things in China. I've seen th equality of some the motorcycle stuff coming out of China, yikes. I'm OK with Tiawan, they seem are more likely to honor contracts and have been building with carbon for many years. Also, China seem to knock off everything they make and I'd hate to see an $800 Mojo knock off in Wal-Mart in three years. No trying to bag on Ibis I have much respect for those guys, I'm just in the market and trying to spend wisely. I don't want a bike that breaks down in two years. Looking at Ellsworth Truth or Epiphany, Yeti 575 or AS-R, or Mavrick M7/5 or Matic. Still trying to come to grips with staying at 4 in travel or going to 5 plus.
    Any advice on these bikes would be great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1morelap
    Thanks for the response, I'll try to fine the thread.
    I'm OK with Ibis doing thier best to make a great product. I'm just concerned with their ability to control things in China. I've seen th equality of some the motorcycle stuff coming out of China, yikes. I'm OK with Tiawan, they seem are more likely to honor contracts and have been building with carbon for many years. Also, China seem to knock off everything they make and I'd hate to see an $800 Mojo knock off in Wal-Mart in three years. No trying to bag on Ibis I have much respect for those guys, I'm just in the market and trying to spend wisely. I don't want a bike that breaks down in two years. Looking at Ellsworth Truth or Epiphany, Yeti 575 or AS-R, or Mavrick M7/5 or Matic. Still trying to come to grips with staying at 4 in travel or going to 5 plus.
    Any advice on these bikes would be great.
    They are producing about 2 or 3 a day and have plans to tool up another factory but until the precision is there they won't take "the chance."

I have written and read many stories on Chinese motorized knockoffs, and I'd say 99% of them are junk from the beginning and horrific in terms of customer service. I am willing to bet my left nut that Ibis did their homework; I believe several highend frames from Scott and Specialized, et al, are also made in China. Don't quote me, and I am too busy riding my Mojo to read the other threads about "My carbon Ransom broke...."

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006

don't knock Chinese goods, unless..

IMHO, the only reason not to buy goods from any country is because you are at odds with the policies of their government. If you feel that way about the Chinese government, hopefully you are uber wealthy, because it is nearly impossible to avoid buying products made in China.

I think that just looking at US bike manufacturers who have had various manufacturing / design defects should be enough to provide evidence that you can't generalize whether a bike made in a particular country is good or not. Just look at all the failed Treks, Kestrels, Fishers, and Cannondales throughout history. Does that mean that you shouldn't buy a bike built in the USA? Of course not! It depends upon who the specific manufacturer is.

I would also look at the whole case story in the case of Ibis... They are a very small operation, and if they did a poor job in selecting their manufacturing partner, then they're not in the business for the long haul. While past history is no indication of future performance, I think we all know the past history of the folks at Ibis.

I'm not even a customer, but the country of origin of the Mojo Carbon frankly doesn't concern me.

Albert

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quick chime in: I am very much concerned with the long history of human rights abuses by the Chinese goverment. But; isolationism only makes it worse. Increasing China's reliance on United Nation's (mostly us) business interest is the only way to hope to influence an evil goverment's human rights atrocities. Or; of course war....(Hey Bush!)
    Here we go: "By a Mojo, Prevent a War !"

Of course, you could always give them the Olympics...
    (Kidding; hey, it's a mountain bikers thread !)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Wow, not sure how this turned political.
    While I think I stated I respect the guys (and girl) at Ibis, I also think is fair to investigate where the products you buy are manufactured. And it is certainly too easy to say the because Trek or other large companies have had bikes break that all bike manufacturing is equal regardless of what country it is manufactured in. I don't think it is a far stretch to say the China historically has produced goods that do not equal the standards of other counties. Additionally, it is not unusual for Chinese manufactures to use the mold of one of their customers products to manufacture "knock offs" for another company. They don't subscribe to all the same fair trade practice that other countries abide by.

Anyway, really was just trying to confirm the location of where they were built, time will of course tell the tale. To date, I've heard nothing but positive news about the bike.

I still love a good Moo shu pork and Hot and Spicy soup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by albertclew
    IMHO, the only reason not to buy goods from any country is because you are at odds with the policies of their government. If you feel that way about the Chinese government, hopefully you are uber wealthy, because it is nearly impossible to avoid buying products made in China.
    I am not uber wealthy by any means. I have an SC blur, made in USA, and cheaper
    pricewise (not quality wise) than many Taiwanese made bikes. I like to be a consumer
    who buys products that were produced using ethical labor practices. Just because the Ibis
    is produced in a Chinese factory doesnt mean they dont, it could be a very good factory,
    but theres probably no way of knowing for sure whats going on. I definitely disagree with a
    lot of the things China does. If I were buying a high end product and there were USA made alternatives to Chinese stuff, I'd go with that first. Yeah, I know its sometimes
    unavoidable not to buy Chinese, so much of our production has been outsourced there.
    I live near a trainyard, and everyday I see dozens of boxcars with 'China Shipping'
    printed on them