Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wheels For Mojo

5K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  getbusyliving 
#1 ·
It is time to upgrade the wheels on my Mojo, and I'm hoping for some input and suggestions from fellow Mojo riders. I'm 165lbs and ride mostly all mountain and aggressive XC, with an very occasional XC or 24 hour race thrown in for fun. I run the Kenda Nevegal 2.1 and 2.35 tires. The cheapo Mavic Crossrides I've been running for a year held up to a surprising amount of abuse, but they're now battered and just too heavy.

I'm guessing a lot of you are running the Easton XC Ones, since they came standard on some of the standard Mojo build packages. Those have gotten pretty good reviews from fellow Mojo-ers (see http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=301332), and seem like a good bang for the buck.

But I'd also be willing to shell out more $ if there is good case to be made. I'm also considering the usual higher-end suspects: Mavic Crossmax SL or SLR, Shimano XTR. And I see that Ibis is putting Stans ZTR355 on their WTF build, so maybe I'll check those out. I'm open to other somewhat less mainstream suggestions as well. I'm budgeting in the $600-900 range for the set.

Any and all input appreciated. Pocket book locked and loaded...let the shopping commence. :D

#28 ·
Cheese? They are a durable design, have some nice color options, and shouldn't fail for years without maintenance. The main problem I have with the Hope Pro2's besides slow engagement is they are extremely loud ratcheting, louder than any I've heard in over 25 years of trail riding.

I've read reviews saying Kings can be kept pretty quiet by relubing every 3 months.

My Hadleys are very quiet, like winding up an old mechanical sprung wristwatch, designed for easy maintenance service, freewheel very free of drag, and have a high engagement rate the same a King hub.

#30 ·
i am selling my brand new custom dtswiss wheelset.

-dtswiss 240 hubs (32)
-dtswiss 5.1d rims
-swiss comp black spokes 14g
-red alloy nipples
-3x lacing
-red salsa skewers

they are brand new still in box. i screwed up and had these custom made and got the wrong front hub. i needed the 20mm thru axle. it would be better for me to sell the set and have them build another set. if you just need a front i can sell that only too. it is a pain in the azz to send them back. i will sell them for $ 600.00. i believe that is a great price. i don't think you will find it cheaper. my bike parts are slowly coming in and i would like to sell these like yesterday
firemanfitz65@yahoo.com
mike f.

#32 ·
jever98 said:
@firemanfitz: I don't think you need to sell them if you don't want to - you can buy a conversion kit to change your QR hub to an axle hub - costs about 25 Euros.

Hope this helps and takes the sting out of having the wrong hub :) .

Cheers
Jever
I'm afraid you are not right. Standard DT Swiss 240s disc brake hubs can be converted only to 9mm Thru Axle, but firemanfitz needs 20mm axle. Only oversized 240s DB hubs can be converted to 20mm axle. I've did the conversion, so have a close look to technical documentation.

#36 ·
firemanfitz said:
i am selling my brand new custom dtswiss wheelset.

-dtswiss 240 hubs (32)
-dtswiss 5.1d rims
-swiss comp black spokes 14g
-red alloy nipples
-3x lacing
-red salsa skewers

they are brand new still in box. i screwed up and had these custom made and got the wrong front hub. i needed the 20mm thru axle. it would be better for me to sell the set and have them build another set. if you just need a front i can sell that only too. it is a pain in the azz to send them back. i will sell them for $ 600.00. i believe that is a great price. i don't think you will find it cheaper. my bike parts are slowly coming in and i would like to sell these like yesterday
firemanfitz65@yahoo.com
mike f.
$575.00 lowest i can go. i am already losing $$$$

#37 ·
Eastons Anyone?

I am still struggling with my wheel shopping. So many options and variables...I now have a large spreadsheet for comparisons. But I love this stuff. My biggest quandaries are:

1) Wider all mountain vs. narrower XC rims. I ride plenty of AM terrain, but I'm pretty light and have still never taco'd an XC rim. So is the wider rim really worth the weight gain?
2) Custom vs. pre-built. I can get a VERY nice custom Stans Arch/DT 240/Supercomp-Revolution ~1500g wheelset made by a pro for almost $1,000, but for that I can possibly find TWO sets of the Easton pre-built wheels on sale (XC Ones and/or Havocs). A buddy rides the Havocs and loves them, and the XCs are light. The customs would probably be nicer, but TWICE AS NICE? My mind's definitely not made up yet, but am exploring the Eastons more.

Ecibis, or anyone else out there who rides the Easton XC Ones or Havocs...can you comment on how the wheels have treated you? The XCs are sure light (~1500g), but can they withstand medium abuse like a 3 foot drop? What is it about the narrower rim you don't like...does it make THAT big a difference? The Havocs look nice, but also 3/4 of a pound heavier than XC Ones.

#38 ·
I love 'em

The XC One's have been absolutely great. I have had good luck with customer service too. My skewer came loose often and they sent a new one out overnight to me after a quick call I made to them.

I need a thru axle because I am getting a new fork, su unfortunately I need to get rid of them. I also run 2.35's on them with no problem, but can't help think the 28mm rims may feel better. The eastons have been super-stiff and are fairly quiet. For the rough terrain here, they have been perfect and are still perfectly true. ALso, I hear they convert to STan's tubeless easily. Because I like the Easton XC-Ones the Havocs are first on my list as a replacement although I am open to others if I can get a deal.
Would nice I9 Enduro's be better? Yes, probably, but it's a lot of extra cash to be spending.

#39 ·
getbusyliving said:
1) Wider all mountain vs. narrower XC rims. I ride plenty of AM terrain, but I'm pretty light and have still never taco'd an XC rim. So is the wider rim really worth the weight gain?
Wider rims are less flat prone for any rider landing a jumps and such.. They make any tire higher volume. If you like riding lower pressures you can run a pound or two lower for even smoother higher grip without extra tire side squirm.

#40 ·
derby said:
Wider rims are less flat prone for any rider landing a jumps and such.. They make any tire higher volume. If you like riding lower pressures you can run a pound or two lower for even smoother higher grip without extra tire side squirm.
Agreed and for aggressive AM riding I recommend getting these :thumbsup:

#41 ·
jacko69 said:
I was toying with the idea of new wheels too, something lighter that the Mavic x819s (XT hubs, db swiss spokes) that I run at the moment. Perhaps the Spinergy Xyclone Disc. Has anyone had any experience with these?
I am using the Spinergy Enduros with 20mm thru axle front hub.
My build is more towards AM/heavy duty XC, but I am a big guy @ 230lbs geared up.
These wheels are holding up very well and although not as light as the Xyclone disc, they fit my bill and allow me to run a 2.35 size tire without any problem.
I would not hesitate to recomend them.

#43 ·
jever98 said:
I have the Fat Alberts and have to say I prefer the Maxxis Larsen 2.35 (on rocky / gravelly / sandy dry surface). Next, I'm planning to try the Maxxis Minion 2.35 or 2.5 front - apparently a great tire.

Cheers
Jever
Try the Alberts :thumbsup: instead (get the Alpencross version), no real need for the extra umph of the 2.35's, the 2.25's work fine. But man o man are those sidewalls tough and a bear to get on a rim, takes He Man arms. Takes me all of 30 seconds to get a pair of Maxxis tires on a rim, I can spend a good part of a half hour it seems wrestling the Alberts/Far Alberts on.

My fave tires are the Maxxis Advantage :thumbsup: out here in the rocky, gravelly and sandy conditions of Colorado, they just came out with a 2.25 version that I will be trying shortly, but the sidewalls aren't as tough as my Alberts. The new Ardent look nice also, a bit like a more aggressive High Roller.

As always get the normal tires (non UST) and run them tubeless ala Stans rim strips or rim tape.

The Larsen don't have an open enough tread for most Colorado conditions I ride in. The Minion are just to darn heavy, but they are stout and have an open tread. But that's IMHO and nothing more. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.