VES
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Which Wheel for my Mojo?

I used the Mavic Crossmax SLR, and I want to know about the Crank Brother Cobalt red which is being made for IBIS.

About the Cobalt... Does it fixed the problems? Is there another issue?

How is its stiffness? Is it better than mavic, which is not that stiff?

Any help thanks in advance!

Victor

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    2010 CROSSMAX ST - the perfect wheelset. Light, strong.

VES
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pono39
    2010 CROSSMAX ST - the perfect wheelset. Light, strong.
    That's the perfect wheel but it's a little bit heavier than Cobalt!
    Anyway I'm a little upset with crossmax slr which is quite strong but not that stiif! I was thing about something the same weight.

Thanks very much!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I looked at the Cobalt and have read / heard great things about it. Just a bit too "blingy" for me. The SLR is not strong enough and the SX is too heavy. I had a set of Chris Kings built up and loved them. The hubs are the best; however, the rims and spokes just never held up like I wanted them to. I found the ST's and they have ended up being a perfect mix of light and strong. Go with what your gut tells you - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you are looking at. I have also heard great things about the Easton Havocs. I don't race anymore, so superlight is no longer a concern. I just want durability so I don't have to even think about my wheels. I also don't want a pair of tanks! Post once you decide.

ZEN RIDER!
    On a demo bike, this past fall, i was able to try a set of Fulcrum wheels. I was completely impressed with the way they rolled, the build quality & especially the stiffness.
    They aren't loud either. When my mavic's finally retire I am going to give the Fulcrums a roll.
    http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/jspfulc...&world=offroad
    Life in every breath

VES
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I looked at the Cobalt and have read / heard great things about it. Just a bit too "blingy" for me. The SLR is not strong enough and the SX is too heavy. I had a set of Chris Kings built up and loved them. The hubs are the best; however, the rims and spokes just never held up like I wanted them to. I found the ST's and they have ended up being a perfect mix of light and strong. Go with what your gut tells you - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you are looking at. I have also heard great things about the Easton Havocs. I don't race anymore, so superlight is no longer a concern. I just want durability so I don't have to even think about my wheels. I also don't want a pair of tanks! Post once you decide.
    I know that mavic don't show the real weight of the wheel, which is sub-weighted!...

Somebody knows if the 2010 wheel is shown as the real weight (1610g) or also is a fiction weight, the wheels weight more then shown in the website?

Thanks in advance!

Stucco Bucket
    I dont like the engagement on the crossmax. Or how flexy my STs are.
    I ended doing an industry nine enduro wheelset on Stans ZTR flow wheels.
    its a 28mm wide wheel and the set weighs ~1710 (still need to add the QR15 adaptor)

VES
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    I dont like the engagement on the crossmax. Or how flexy my STs are.
    I ended doing an industry nine enduro wheelset on Stans ZTR flow wheels.
    its a 28mm wide wheel and the set weighs ~1710 (still need to add the QR15 adaptor)
    How flexy are the ST? I thought it should be be stiffer than the SLR
    You should see the slr flexing...rs

The new 2010 ST is also flexy?

[]s

mtbr member
    I think someone should come up with an objective way to measure flex, especially in wheels. Flex has become a dirty word, but what's flexy to a 200 lb guy may be plenty stiff to someone lighter.

So come up with a tool and a scale quickly so I can by some wheels.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

VES
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    I think someone should come up with an objective way to measure flex, especially in wheels. Flex has become a dirty word, but what's flexy to a 200 lb guy may be plenty stiff to someone lighter.

So come up with a tool and a scale quickly so I can by some wheels.
    Yes, I think you're right!

I'm 170 lb, and for that weight when I say flex it's not a good thing!

Curiously, when I used the crossmax on a xc bike seemed to be ok! Not that flexy!

When I started to use on my Mojo, I don't know if the Fox is that more stiff than my R7 MRD, but made the Crossmax fell more flexy!

Does anyone knows about the 2010 Crossmax ST? It seems to be lighther than the 2009 model... what about stiffness?

[]s

victor

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by VES
    How flexy are the ST? I thought it should be be stiffer than the SLR
    You should see the slr flexing...rs

The new 2010 ST is also flexy?

[]s
    I can vouch for the Crossmax ST's being not at all flexy with a 180 pound pilot on a Mojo SL.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm a 170lbs and have run 650b ztr 3x supercomps on Mojo SL for a 1.5 years and they rock. Once I increased the tension a little bit from what they were at shipped from notubes.

VES
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Crossmax ST and Cobalt

Thank guys!

I think the ST will be the wheel I need.

Just one last question!

Yesterday I went to a shop to see the Red Cobalt made specially for the IBIS.

As you said before, very beatifull but the red is also very "bling bling"! The man at the shop said that the CBs have improved stiffness a lot, and all the bugs found in the previous issues have been fixed. There's no more problems with the hub or with the long nipples.

He said the Cobalt is a much better wheel than the mavics, if not the IBIS guys wouldn't accept the wheel from CB, specially the Red one, which was made only for IBIS.

Is there any true about these?

Thanks in advance!

Victor

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a set of 2010 ST's and they are not flexy at all. Again, this is only my opinion; however, they seem to be just about perfect in regards to weight and durability.

VES
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a set of 2010 ST's and they are not flexy at all. Again, this is only my opinion; however, they seem to be just about perfect in regards to weight and durability.

Have you weighted the wheel? Thanks very much
    Victor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VES
    Thank guys!

The man at the shop said that the CBs have improved stiffness a lot, and all the bugs found in the previous issues have been fixed. There's no more problems with the hub or with the long nipples.

Lies, lies, lies I got the Cobalts back in December and regret it. After putting only 40 miles on them the free hub blew out with no warning. Fortunatley it was all downhill to the car. Crank Bros customer service was great and I had replcement parts in a couple days but I'm still a little nervous because, according to Crank Bros "it's a problem". gee thanks, hope it's not "a problem" when I'm 10 miles from the trailhead.

The other problem I have is that they aren't true. There's a lot of space between the spokes and Crank Bros considers considers 6mm of variation in either direction to be within spec. Been able to get them pretty close to true but, at least in my opionion, for $1k a set you shouldn't see a bunch of wobble wobble.

Other than that they look sweet and are nice and stiff
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    almost got the Cobalts, but my shop recommended the Stans Arch rims. Last two years I have been running Mavic 819's with DT Swiss hubs, but wanted something new for my Ibis. My LBS recommended the Stan's Arch over the Stans 355 because they are stiffer, so I went with the Arch rims with King Hubs and DT spokes and nipples-- I love these wheels...Stiffer than my 819's and they track so well...Love 'em...I have never tried the Crossmax, but my LBS steered me away from the CObalts, even though I was willing to pay the dough.....just my 2 cents....good luck

T.W.O.
    Industry Nine Enduro or King ISO, I'm using them both on different bikes, but when in doubt just go with the louder one. JK