Singletrack Addict!!!

Wheel choices, ohhh why??? Some help needed...

So I want to replace my HD's first gen orange Iodines with something as strong but lighter, and that qualify as some bling. These have been good to me. By the way I dig the new Iodine's color scheme, but they have lowered the hubs POE to 21, so no go. I have the option to change the rims, but will only loose around 150g in the process...

Current chioces out there,

Easton Haven - 1640g rear hub issues?? UST nice!!
    Easton Havoc with the orange hubs-1750g Overkill?

I'd like more than the Easton's 32/34?? points of engagement

Custom build, orange CK or blue Hadley hubs, laced to WTB I23 or Stans Flow rims, thou weight will be almost on the Iodine's range - in the 1800 ish range. Don't love the tape seal interface, but I guess I can live with it.

Mavic SX, don't dig white in my bike unless it's free, and still I would sell it!!!

So no white or red on my wheels, no complete black either..I already have Hope hubs as a spare set.

Any other choice with a minimum 21mm inner rim width, 20mm front and 12mm rear, reliable, blingy, high POE, UST prefered??
    Last edited by Relayden; 04-10-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You may find some useful opinions in this thread:
    Advice on Easton Havoc vs. Stans Flows for Mojo HD

Yody also reviews Havocs and Havens in great detail somewhere in the Ibis forum - check those reviews out by all means.

FWIW, I went with Flows on Hadleys, in part because I wanted to build my own, partly to try higher engagement hubs.

Pretty happy with them. I am blown away by the hubs - they are marvelously engineered. Love how quiet they are and still high engagement. No issues with the tape interface after a few months. I could have done a better job with the wheel build, but that's my own learning experience When I win the lottery: Enve on Hadleys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I keep hearing mixed things about the Easton hubs. Low engagement and a less-than-absolutely-solid track record for reliability? I'll pass. I figure, at that pricepoint, you're throwing money away to get good wheels with average hubs. Might as well get something more bulletproof with better engagement.

My recommendation, Industry 9 All-Mountains. 26mm rim, 120 POE, 1650g, extremely stiff, reliable, and as blingy as you want to make it. Available in every axle standard on the market (except Lefty and 12x150). You'd have to yellow tape it, but that's the same as everything on the market other than CB and Easton. Proprietary spokes/nipples, but again that's the same situation as CB and Easton. At least I9 gives you spares out of the box.

Never a terrible idea to roll your own, and I think everyone should do it at least once, but I doubt it'll be the lightest build out there, if that's what you're looking for.

Personally, I'm on first gen Iodines too, but mostly because they landed in my lap for one hell of a deal. Otherwise I'd be on the I9s.

mtbr member
    All you talk about is looks and weight, nothing about how and where you ride amd what they need to hold up to.

mtbr member
    Easton hubs have worked flawlessly for me

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Well, they need to be higher POE, that's for sure, I ride lot's of technical terrain, but not as high as the I9. Other than that, everybody would agree that a reliable, stiff and light wheel is a winner no matter what the terrain is. I'm 178 ish with gear and don't like mud, primarily for sustainability reasons. Going fast and playfully is my main riding style, not too much air, at least nothing more than 4 feet, but a lot of rocks and roots, and some flowy but bike manhandling demanding turns are the norm. I've really come to appreciate the HD and it's stiff frame.

I considered the I9, they look awesome, but I'm a part-time bike wrench, and for the amount of money one would pay, and I can get a real good discount, I think they are not up to CK or Hadley standards. Hell my Iodines have been more reliable, bearing wise (2 years and only one bearing changed, and just now the freehub bearings need to be changed soon) than all the I9 I've seen and worked on. Just my experience. If they had better sealing, I'd be on them for sure. On the other hand I've seen 6 plus years old CK's with the factory bearings still going strong.

I take good care of my equipment, and thou I ride hard and fast, I've not destroyed any rim so far, knock on wood.

thanks for the input! Yody, did you sold the Havens? Do you know if the 2012 are any different than the 2011? How are the Havocs holding up?
    Last edited by Relayden; 04-10-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post

Custom build, range CK or blue Hadley hubs, laced to WTB I23 or Stans Flow rims, thou weight will be almost on the Iodine's range - in the 1800 ish range.
    this. with i9/ck/hadley/dt/hope and some nice spokes.

Thats what I'd do if I had to do it again

mtbr member
    Havocs have been awesome and ive been beating my havens up on my all mountain hardtail, and theyre going strong.

The havocs are really good wheels, but dont forget they are basically lightweight mini dh wheels or a dh race wheel. The hoops weigh 505grams. I also like them because they are not too flashy and not everyone has them. For me, they are the perfect set of wheels. Super strong, dent resistance, true ust, and light. However they are around 36poe or so, not sure if that matters to you, doesnt make a difference to me.

I ride both slow and fast technical riding, lots of rocks, steeep stuff, very fast trails with lots of hits, and some smooth swoopy xc.

mtbr member
    I'm still trying to sell my wheelset, but sounds like you're looking for something else.

Stans flow Ibis wheelset BRAND NEW!!! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Hmm, Havocs @ 36 POE? I can certainly live with that, I guess there should not be a big difference going from my Iodines 48 POE. Given the price, I think I'm taking a chance on the Havens, cant' find a low price for the Havocs.

mtbr member
    I9
    Best wheelsset I have ever had. 120 POE

mtbr member
    I dont know what your budget is but I have a pair of carbon havens that will be in the classifieds this week.
    They are 20mm front/135-142x12 rear (can be converted to qr).

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    I dont know what your budget is but I have a pair of carbon havens that will be in the classifieds this week.
    They are 20mm front/135-142x12 rear (can be converted to qr).
    Nice wheels, but Too much $$$... Good luck with the sale!

Turn off the TV
    I have been on Havens for over a year and have had no issues what so ever. I have not done anything to them since I put them on and they are going strong. Engagement is fine for me but I have never known the joy of high engagement hubs. Then again I only payed 450 for my wheels so I'll take it.

ohhman
    Industry 9. Stiffest wheel, best engagement. And USA made.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    Industry 9. Stiffest wheel, best engagement. And USA made.
    I have nothing to say but good things about them. I have mine laced to ZTR Flows and they look sick, IMO. Just the right amount of flashy but not overdone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel choices, ohhh why??? Some help needed...-007s.jpg  

Wheel choices, ohhh why??? Some help needed...-013s.jpg  

The Crow
    Yeah. My first set of I9's is on it's third owner and still going strong. My second set I've head for 18 months and it's only needed one service and one minor true after an over enthusiastic DH weekend.

They are fast and the quick engagement is something that'll spoil you for other hubs.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    SpeedDream built a set of red Hadleys laced to Crests (I don't need heavy-duty rims) with red nipples for my Mojo SL and I'm totally happy. I got yellow tape but haven't run them tubeless yet.

If you're concerned about weight, don't get white rims. The white adds about 50g.

If you go blue Hadleys with Flows, you won't be disappointed. Use blue nipples for some added bling. I like the more subtle bling effect of nipple/hub color as opposed to whole spoke color. Also, to add more subtle bling to your bike, check out Toronto cycles for some annodized chain ring bolts, head set cap screws, derailleur pulley screws, etc. And if you have gear indicators on your shifters, take them apart and paint the indicators blue so they aren't that hideous orange.