mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What's your sage, and do you use platform?

The Ibis manual says 10 to 13mm for xc and 13 to 15mm sag for trailriding.

Where do you have your sag set...and why?

The DW Link is designed to work without any platform. That said, I tried it in the #1 spot yesterday on some very smooth dirt climbs, and it actually felt good! I felt guilty for using it since the design is so great in the open mode. I'd never use the platform in the rough or on downhills, but for the stretches where the dirt has no rocks or undulations for lengthy periods, it is a nice option.

edit: crap, just saw my title says "sage" and not "sag." Oops.

www.derbyrims.com
    The Sage of Salem.

10mm would be 20%, 15mm about 30% shock sag.

I'm using about 13mm or 25% sag, for a good climbing frame position with a 140mm fork, and not too bad pedal clearance on technical trails. This is 2.75 turns preload on my coil set up. I can quickly stop and unscrew a couple turns for 30% sag and softer and slacker angled suspension for long downhill runs where low pedal clearance isn't as much of an issue.

When I used the original RP23 I liked the propedal on using the #1 position for steep climbing (when I remembered to do it in time!), it packs up the rear higher a little bit for an easier steep climbing angle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    When I used the original RP23 I liked the propedal on using the #1 position for steep climbing (when I remembered to do it in time!), it packs up the rear higher a little bit for an easier steep climbing angle.
    How much loss, if any, of traction in the #1 mode on steep climbs? Or was that just for smoother steep climbs like I commented on or was it nasty rocky crap where the dw shines in non platform?

www.derbyrims.com
    I couldn't really say, not much difference. Mistakes in technique is a much bigger difference.

The climbing grip is so good, it's spooky. And momentum is conserved so well it's easier to get to the crest of a steep climb.